Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe] Beacon - Solar Frame / Male Fire-Frame (10/23: Minor Tweaks)

Morec0

Awesome idea. Strange stat for the energy though. Most casters have a base 150 that increases to 225. Beacon's range of 150 would mean that every time beacon's energy increased by leveling him it would go up 15, twice that of said casters.

Giving that 3/4ths of his abilities sap energy while active, a higher energy pool feels fairly balanced. Honestly, though, I'm not that good with stat numbers - which is why the abilities lack them.

Giving that 3/4ths of his abilities sap energy while active, a higher energy pool feels fairly balanced. Honestly, though, I'm not that good with stat numbers - which is why the abilities lack them.

No no no. I didn't mean at all that it's unbalanced. Just strange increments. If anything I'd say base needs a buff so that he can get more use out of his abilities earlier on

No no no. I didn't mean at all that it's unbalanced. Just strange increments. If anything I'd say base needs a buff so that he can get more use out of his abilities earlier on

Yeah, that crossed my mind while writing that reply... Will take a look at it in the future.

Edited by Morec0

Or you could decrease energy consuption and decrease energy.

Hmmm, was actually unaware that Nova did radiation damage, and (though I'm likely mistaken) as I understand it Oberon's abilities aren't exactly all that powerful for Radiation. Either way, neither of them have even decent proc chances (from my experience) and this character fills that gap - as well as being a far more active caster that either of them are.

For me, frame design isn't so much about "what he does" as "how he does it" - hence why there are also cold and heat damaging effects in there.

Actually I believe Oberon's Reckoning has a guaranteed proc chance, and I'm fairly sure Nova's AMD does as well, it's just hard to tell since it normally kills everything beforehand.

Actually I believe Oberon's Reckoning has a guaranteed proc chance, and I'm fairly sure Nova's AMD does as well, it's just hard to tell since it normally kills everything beforehand.

Both are AoE and cost a lot more to use, Irradiate may be single-target but it's AoE-on-terrain ability helps make up for it. It would also likely have more range than Reckoning and be more controllable than AMD.

A lot has changed since Sept 2014 in this design, but overall I remain steadfast in keeping some of these elements in place. A touch of Radiation damage helps die the Solar theme together.

I've been wanting either a purely offense or purely defense version of Oberon, and I think this is absolutely fantastic.  I am not comparing him to Oberon out of criticism either, Oberon is probably one of my favorite designs but your's seems a significant upgrade to the destructive potential he is so severely lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Added some visual reference to the abilities, as well as a little emphasis on the fact that these abilities WILL NOT stop Beacon's movement and offensive abilities with their casting animations. All the better to feed into this idea of him being a pinnacle of offensive power.

This idea is amazing and the design is beautiful. I just had a few ideas for balancing, abilties and appearances. However, these are just my opinions so feel free to tell me to f off. I do some work over on the ESO forums for balancing and new weapon ideas, so I just thought I'd pitch in my two cents.

First off, since you have so many toggle abilities, I was thinking of upping the base power to 140, with 360 at max rank. I know that this is absurdly high for a non modded frame, but hear me out. I feel like Beacon (awesome name btw, I associate him as male, so I'll be referring to him as a "him") could be kinda like the slightly squishier form of excalibur's exalted blade build. So where that build uses rage and steel charge, this one would use more power related mods ie. channeling and energy siphon. I know you said that you wanted this to be moderately high armor, so keep in mind that this is just my opiniom, and i may be as wrong as anything. I think the base armour you gave him is great, so that's fine. I'm not sure what the polarity on energy siphon is, but maybe it'd be cool to have the two be compatible.

Next off, I think that there are a few ability tweaks that I'd make. If you want to hear them, just reply to this comment, since I don't want this getting too long

This idea is amazing and the design is beautiful. I just had a few ideas for balancing, abilties and appearances. However, these are just my opinions so feel free to tell me to f off. I do some work over on the ESO forums for balancing and new weapon ideas, so I just thought I'd pitch in my two cents.

First off, since you have so many toggle abilities, I was thinking of upping the base power to 140, with 360 at max rank. I know that this is absurdly high for a non modded frame, but hear me out. I feel like Beacon (awesome name btw, I associate him as male, so I'll be referring to him as a "him") could be kinda like the slightly squishier form of excalibur's exalted blade build.

So where that build uses rage and steel charge, this one would use more power related mods ie. channeling and energy siphon. I know you said that you wanted this to be moderately high armor, so keep in mind that this is just my opiniom, and i may be as wrong as anything. I think the base armour you gave him is great, so that's fine. I'm not sure what the polarity on energy siphon is, but maybe it'd be cool to have the two be compatible.

Next off, I think that there are a few ability tweaks that I'd make. If you want to hear them, just reply to this comment, since I don't want this getting too long

Always interested in feedback. I'm all for giving him a higher amount of energy, though I was a touch worried I was already pushing it with what I had. I'm not going to make it EXACTLY that and going to decrease the shields a bit to compensate for the idea but I do like it. It definitely fits with him better.

I made his aura polarity V to sort of add just a little more variety than just "go full Energy Siphon" being the encouraged build, and with him being an offensive frame the V polarity seemed like a good idea. Rather than make it Dash, I think I'll just leave it polarityless and let people choose what they want from it with Forma 

I'm bracing myself for the ability tweaks. I know I'm a TOUCH ridiculous with a few of them, tried to clean it up a bit, but I'm all ears. Suggest away.

Yeah yeah this works perfectly. Maybe do a similar kinda thing to Limbo, but instead of having good shields, ok health and bad armour, I'd recommend doing good armour, ok health and bad shields. That could work I think. I just feel like we've had a recent influx of rage builds into warframe, and it'd be a nice change of pace

Its possible that I'm just projecting my wishes for a frame onto yours, because I've been doing some designs and sketches for a similar frame for the past few months. I'm a huge fan of the whole light and sun magic kinda theme. I've been doing a similar kind of build, but I was thinking maybe instead of doing elemental status effects, perhaps do puncture damage with the light beams. Like how excalibur's abilities don't have any elemental effects. This would add nicely to the DPS based theme, since I feel like status frames are kind worn out. But that's just my view. When I finish my designs for a frame (I haven't settled on a name yet but I was thinking Lumen or Phos, both of which are light related words) I could maybe post it here if you wanted? I'm kinda basing him off my ESO templar build and some of the Paladin/priest abilities in WoW. But yeah just let me know if you want me to post it here or whatever. I'd love to collaborate with you about this frame

Its possible that I'm just projecting my wishes for a frame onto yours, because I've been doing some designs and sketches for a similar frame for the past few months. I'm a huge fan of the whole light and sun magic kinda theme. I've been doing a similar kind of build, but I was thinking maybe instead of doing elemental status effects, perhaps do puncture damage with the light beams. Like how excalibur's abilities don't have any elemental effects. This would add nicely to the DPS based theme, since I feel like status frames are kind worn out. But that's just my view. When I finish my designs for a frame (I haven't settled on a name yet but I was thinking Lumen or Phos, both of which are light related words) I could maybe post it here if you wanted? I'm kinda basing him off my ESO templar build and some of the Paladin/priest abilities in WoW. But yeah just let me know if you want me to post it here or whatever. I'd love to collaborate with you about this frame

Well, to me the heat's and radiation's part of the identity as a "Sun" frame, while similar effect could be made with raw IPS I think it would take away from part of the frame's vision. While heat itself may not be all that powerful, one of the things I sorta like about what it adds to the identity is something of a sense of this being the "male ember", not a gendered reskin but a frame that uses a similar base theme while maintaining its own identity.

As for your idea, it sounds interesting and I'll look for it in the future, but let's not turn each other's posts into advertisement for our own.

Well, to me the heat's and radiation's part of the identity as a "Sun" frame, while similar effect could be made with raw IPS I think it would take away from part of the frame's vision. While heat itself may not be all that powerful, one of the things I sorta like about what it adds to the identity is something of a sense of this being the "male ember", not a gendered reskin but a frame that uses a similar base theme while maintaining its own identity.

As for your idea, it sounds interesting and I'll look for it in the future, but let's not turn each other's posts into advertisement for our own.

Of course man :)

I was just wondering what you thought of the idea

I like the idea and killer art! My only issue would be his fourth skill coming out of his eye. Combined with parkour and gun/ melee play, that may be a bit too obtrusive. I'd suggest making him summon a star/disco ball (heh. Mirage.) above his head to do the laser shooting for him.

I like the idea and killer art! My only issue would be his fourth skill coming out of his eye. Combined with parkour and gun/ melee play, that may be a bit too obtrusive. I'd suggest making him summon a star/disco ball (heh. Mirage.) above his head to do the laser shooting for him.

I don't see the issue myself, the way the camera's positioned away and over-the-shoulder from the Warframe gives plenty of visibility, enough, as I see it, that a beam coming from Beacon's forehead (maybe not directly but project out a foot or so away from he head) wouldn't get in the way of visibility. Chroma's Spectral Scream doesn't, and this is just a single beam, not unlike Flux Rifle.