Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Everyone So Concerned About Solo Players?

Tesseract_The_Pariah

Asking them to account for the strictly solo players is like asking Bethesda to account for Cooperative players in Skyrim.  It's ludicrous. 

If Bethesda provided a co-op option for players of Skyrim, then asking Bethesda to take it into account when designing content for Skyrim wouldn't be ludicrous at all. 

Just like how Warframe provides a solo option for its players, so people asking that solo play be taken into account are perfectly justified. 

You mean like Bethesda giving their community a whole game based on Cooperative Multiplayer?

That isn't even close to the same thing as Bethesda changing Skyrim to allow co-op. That's Bethesda releasing any entirely different game. Compared to this situation, that would be like DE creating another game with a solo-focus rather than the current game's Co-Op focus.

They cannot.  They have limited resources and must focus on the most important aspects of the game.

That doesn't mean Warframe has to.  And the Majority of content in WoW is for huge raids or parties.  If you want a big payout, you gotta go co-op.  Just like Warframe. 

wrong, dead wrong, my advice to you is never apply for a position managing an mmo or any company that relies on consumers for income.

profit = acquiring as many players as possible and keeping them engaged. most every modern mmo and several older ones either offer out of the box or through updates solo options. why? several reasons not the least of which is MORE PLAYERS.

others include depending,

ability for players to run content at off peak times when finding parties can take hours.

warframe and other games that use the magic 8 ball of hosting systems giving the player with less than optimal PC's or ISP's a way to run content that doesn't rely on a buggy host system.

even if the PC and ISP/network is up to par, host<>client issues STILL exist and trolls abound that will just drop out of a mission they are hosting screwing everyone else. solo no need to worry.

there are reasons solo is included as part of the game, the nice bits about off peak times, host issues, etc are more or less side effects of the potential profit generated by appealing to as many gamers as possible. if you limit your player base, you limit profit, that remains true for any business that relies on consumers. and make no mistake, DE is a business.

get it?

Edited by DeadX65

TLDR: The more new things warframe adds the more spread out players become. Especially when the game hits the low population.

Theres solid logic to making all co-op/multiplayer games solo-able.

theres what 1xx something nodes in this game varying tiles, you have Invasions, t1-4Voids, derelict, assasinations, G3, aswell as dark sectors, conclaves. All offer different rewards and a large investment intime due to RNG nature.

******The following story is lesson in what can go wrong when u take the solo option out of a MMO******

I remember Rappelz when they made dungeons no longer solo'able in update 5.3. Guess what happened? The game was'nt keeping new players because there wasnt enough people to group up and clear low level dungeons. As all the experience and equipment to those low levels were in the dungeons it pretty much locked any new player out of progressing. Sure you can go to Globalchat but in Rappelz even people who went to chat were completely ignored or would spend hours 4-8 hours a day shouting to try and get a group together. At the time they had 8 servers 5 of which were full/at capacity but even still low levels were'nt finding parties.

High level players were never interested in going to those lower zones because time was better spent in thier own places getting thier own objectives. Only weak guilds keen to recruit were popping in to help new players but even those guilds didnt survive long due to the pace they were falling behind the guilds playing at the higher tiers.

Edited by CarrotSalad

TLDR: The more new things warframe adds the more spread out players become. Especially when the game hits the low population.

Theres solid logic to making all co-op/multiplayer games solo-able.

theres what 1xx something nodes in this game varying tiles, you have Invasions, t1-4Voids, derelict, assasinations, G3, aswell as dark sectors, conclaves. All offer different rewards and a large investment intime due to RNG nature.

******The following story is lesson in what can go wrong when u take the solo option out of a MMO******

I remember Rappelz when they made dungeons no longer solo'able in update 5.3. Guess what happened? The game was'nt keeping new players because there wasnt enough people to group up and clear low level dungeons. As all the experience and equipment to those low levels were in the dungeons it pretty much locked any new player out of progressing. Sure you can go to Globalchat but in Rappelz even people who went to chat were completely ignored or would spend hours 4-8 hours a day shouting to try and get a group together. At the time they had 8 servers 5 of which were full/at capacity but even still low levels were'nt finding parties.

High level players were never interested in going to those lower zones because time was better spent in thier own places getting thier own objectives. Only weak guilds keen to recruit were popping in to help new players but even those guilds didnt survive long due to the pace they were falling behind the guilds playing at the higher tiers.

O.O i haven't heard of rappelz in years, they removed the ability to farm dungeons solo? wtf. but then again, nflavor/gala labs or whatever they may have rebranded themselves now were never known for great decisions. played rappels for about 3 years after open beta, yeah, that was a while ago.

one of their more interesting bad decisions was a known crash on the test server concerning the bank..and they sent it live anyway which caused every server to crash every few minutes. it was an epic fustercluck

This thread was made for the soul purpose f hurting players who like solo, nothing else, and that's dumb

Pretty much this. This is an all out assault on solo players, just like anti pvpers bash the hell out of pvpers on these forums... Either actually give valid points that support your view in a none aggressive way or gtfo and stop trying to bash us

Uh huh...  So...  Warframe is apparently a Solo game?  Solo game is the focus?  Look at this.

https://warframe.com/game

You seem to have problems with reading comprehension so allow me to help:

Stand alone or fight together against enemies that threaten your world.

Stand alone or fight together against enemies

Stand alone or fight together

Stand alone

alone

You're welcome.

O.O i haven't heard of rappelz in years, they removed the ability to farm dungeons solo? wtf. but then again, nflavor/gala labs or whatever they may have rebranded themselves now were never known for great decisions. played rappels for about 3 years after open beta, yeah, that was a while ago.

one of their more interesting bad decisions was a known crash on the test server concerning the bank..and they sent it live anyway which caused every server to crash every few minutes. it was an epic fustercluck

They are under new owners now. They do seem to be under a better techinical team but thier customer support has taken a hit under the new owners so i've heard. In recent updates some of the balance has been tipped back to being solo'able but its still a pretty bad journey if you have no backing.

I can't even tell what you're all arguing about.

Stuff.

Sometimes, the interweb (or the crappy network code) either puts me into the Russian Lag Hell or the endless waiting for team. At which point I tend to just join a clan team, a lot of players don't like clans, so they solo.

The game is advertised to cater to both playstyles.

I'm sure DE has accurate number comparing number of players (and their expenditure) playing the game mostly solo VS those who mostly PUG/form dedicated groups.

I'm sure DE looks at those numbers when deciding how content is going to be made.

I'm also sure that if something can be easily changed to accommodate the solo players, it will be commented on and eventually acted upon. (Like scaling clan resource costs, scaling enemy spawns, scaling boss level)

I'm also pretty sure that DE will ignore anyone saying "Ignore group X, they shouldn't be heard"

they really just need to scale things based on group size. solo fights less enemies at a time, gets less loot, and so on. big groups fight more, get more loot, and so on. its not like this is some new crazy idea. 

Edited by Suthurn

As two players can play together, two different matchmaking options can fit together. Fin. End.

they really just need to scale things based on group size. solo fights less enemies at a time, gets less loot, and so on. big groups fight more, get more loot, and so on. its not like this is some new crazy idea. 

Edited by unknow99

Asking them to account for the strictly solo players is like asking Bethesda to account for Cooperative players in Skyrim.  It's ludicrous. 

Now if only DE didn't have that "Matchmaking: solo" option next to all the cooperative options. I mean, this isn't asking DE to implement Solo play, it's asking DE to not screw over players who are fans of something they've already implemented.

That isn't even close to the same thing as Bethesda changing Skyrim to allow co-op. That's Bethesda releasing any entirely different game. Compared to this situation, that would be like DE creating another game with a solo-focus rather than the current game's Co-Op focus.

Others have already stepped in to weigh the validity of the statement. This and the other thread are basically just argument circles chasing each other's tail at this point.

I hate to be the Olde Fart (not enough to avoid being one, of course) but Back In De Time Uf De Beginning (i.e., Closed Beta) Warframe was for all intents and purposes a Solo game that allowed PUGs.  Yes, it was always called a co-op game.  But there was absolutely nothing about the game that couldn't be accomplished in Solo mode (Voice of Experience here) and PUGs were useful for a change of pace, but not much more.

Times changed, Warframe changed.  Now, nearly 2 years later, Solo mode has become pretty much a relic.  The list of things new players can accomplish purely on their own gets smaller all the time, or perhaps it's just that the list of things that can't be accomplished on one's own keeps getting longer and longer.  Parts of the game CAN be accomplished in Solo mode, but with each update it becomes more and more clear that almost nothing in the game is INTENDED to be played alone.  While I greatly enjoy, and even prefer running Solo missions, so much of the game requires -REQUIRES- cooperative play that it honestly seems less than honest to continue to claim that any substantial portion of the game can be achieved on a Solo basis.  IMHO, DE should either make Solo mode relevant again, or else call this spade a spade, and lose Solo mode entirely.

http://blog.rjmetrics.com/2009/06/24/who-plays-mmos-an-analysis-of-mmorpg-player-demographics-and-mmorpg-player-stereotypes/

Check number 3. It says that nearly 25% of players (20% of females and 24% of males) are solo players.

Then here,

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1449653-Solo-players-are-majority-in-MMOs

The link in the forum discussion is broken because those forums were wiped during CB, but the WildStar devs said that a majority of players in MMOs are solo players, and having played that game since CB I can confirm they DID say that.

Is Warframe an MMO? Well that's up for debate.

Point is though ,even if solo players aren't the majority here, there are far more players in small clans than those in large ones, and even people in the large ones have their cliques.

So no, it isn't ludicrous to want DE to keep the solo playerbase in mind.

As long as there is the option to solo, they should consider the players that solo when doing stuff.

Why so angry because something is directed at solo players? I'd be more annoyed they cater to pokemon fans than soloers tbh :<

Pikachu skin for Excalibro, only for those with Pokemon X or Y and they need to input their product serial # to confirm they own the game.

Skin gives stats: adds electric damage to Radial Blind, leaves an electric DoT behind you when you super jump, insta-procs shock status on Radial Javelin, all of the above for Slash Dash, and 50% innate shock resistance (It's not very effective...).

Edited by LeoAtKnight