Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea How To Improve Throwable Weapons And Charge Attacks With Melee 2.0

Selpar

Melee 2.0 removed charge attacks for the game, which was a major disappointment for heavy weapons like the Jat Kattag, and the Galatine. The change also made throwing weapons like the Glaive weird because you had to attack multiple times to throw when the whole point of throwing a melee weapon is to hit something outside your normal attack range. I was so disappointed I sold my glaive but I couldn't get over it and kept trying to figure out a way to make it better. I finally came to what I think is a perfect solution:

The reload button doesn't do anything while you have a melee weapon equiped, so why not make it into a heavy attack or throw button depending on what melee weapon you have equiped. This would allow throwable weapons to be thrown without the hassle of inputting a combo, and would allow heavy weapons like the Jat Kattag to use their old charge attack as a heavy attack fixing the apparent nerf the weapons received in the transition to melee 2.0, while at the same time allowing the melee 2.0 combos to contine to work as normal. I thought it was a good Idea and thought I'd share it, let me know what you guys think.

P.S. I'd also like a throwing knife to be added to the game at some point because throwing knifes are awesome.

I think that if you want to use charge attacks you should have to secrafice access to combos. Maybe make Charge Attacks their own stance that comes with the weapon. It would give slightly less mod points and would only have the basic attacks (initial combo, slide, jump, etc) and one more: Hold [melee]. This way you need to choose charge for massive damage or combos for massive damage. 

I know I need to protect my self, soooo....

KiMGrxR.png

Edited by Imaru12

I think that if you want to use charge attacks you should have to secrafice access to combos. Maybe make Charge Attacks their own stance that comes with the weapon. It would give slightly less mod points and would only have the basic attacks (initial combo, slide, jump, etc) and one more: Hold [melee]. This way you need to choose charge for massive damage or combos for massive damage. 

I know I need to protect my self, soooo....

I think that there is nothing wrong with giving the player more options, if they want to try and chain combos into heavy attacks that is awesome, let them try.  I think such a system would allow for a much more engaging melee experience.

I think that there is nothing wrong with giving the player more options, if they want to try and chain combos into heavy attacks that is awesome, let them try.  I think such a system would allow for a much more engaging melee experience.

I agree, more options is a good thing, but I think that players should need to choose how to kill things rather than have access to it all. It feels OP to me if a player has the ability to combo off with Cleaving Whirlwind and then follow up with a Galatine Charge Attack of Melee 1.0.

I agree, more options is a good thing, but I think that players should need to choose how to kill things rather than have access to it all. It feels OP to me if a player has the ability to combo off with Cleaving Whirlwind and then follow up with a Galatine Charge Attack of Melee 1.0.

Remember all the charge attack speed increase mods now boost channeling efficiency instead, and Galatine has a very slow charge attack. If a player has the skill to pull that off I say more power to them.

Melee 2.0 removed charge attacks for the game, which was a major disappointment for heavy weapons like the Jat Kattag, and the Galatine. The change also made throwing weapons like the Glaive weird because you had to attack multiple times to throw when the whole point of throwing a melee weapon is to hit something outside your normal attack range. I was so disappointed I sold my glaive but I couldn't get over it and kept trying to figure out a way to make it better. I finally came to what I think is a perfect solution:

The reload button doesn't do anything while you have a melee weapon equiped, so why not make it into a heavy attack or throw button depending on what melee weapon you have equiped. This would allow throwable weapons to be thrown without the hassle of inputting a combo, and would allow heavy weapons like the Jat Kattag to use their old charge attack as a heavy attack fixing the apparent nerf the weapons received in the transition to melee 2.0, while at the same time allowing the melee 2.0 combos to contine to work as normal. I thought it was a good Idea and thought I'd share it, let me know what you guys think.

P.S. I'd also like a throwing knife to be added to the game at some point because throwing knifes are awesome.

What? The "swing before a throw" is a bug that occurs when you raise your attack speed. Even an unmodded Glaive does a swing before a throw if Volt enables Speed, and if you are already sped up by something else, it then stacks and throwing becomes next to impossible.

Would be easier to make a throw do a quick Left Mouse Hold-> Right Mouse click for normal throw or RMH->LM for charged throw, AFAIK.

What? The "swing before a throw" is a bug that occurs when you raise your attack speed. Even an unmodded Glaive does a swing before a throw if Volt enables Speed, and if you are already sped up by something else, it then stacks and throwing becomes next to impossible.

Would be easier to make a throw do a quick Left Mouse Hold-> Right Mouse click for normal throw or RMH->LM for charged throw, AFAIK.

I don't understand why you think having to hold a button down and click another at the same time would be easier than a single button press. The reload button isn't used for anything when you have your melee weapon out anyway, so why not use it to make an improvement to the melee system?

Way to improve throwable weapons? Make them less glitchy. I'm sick of my Glaive Prime throwing when it feels like and refusing to attack half the time because it's grumpy, or even refusing to throw without a double-attack.

Also, why not just let us charge our combos? A slower, staggerable, but stronger hit

Way to improve throwable weapons? Make them less glitchy. I'm sick of my Glaive Prime throwing when it feels like and refusing to attack half the time because it's grumpy, or even refusing to throw without a double-attack.

Also, why not just let us charge our combos? A slower, staggerable, but stronger hit

Charging combos would be very complex due to the branching nature of the combo system. DE would have to do a lot of animation work in order to make that look good. Adding back the old charge attack mapped to an unused button would be much easier, and would still create a noticeable improvement over the current system.