Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Lotus As A Final Boss

StallordD

Today! On this edition of StallordD's "Damn, I wish I could draw" we cover the Lotus as a Boss!

I hear that a lot, and while I'm not 100% agreeing with the idea, I do think it could be neat. Regardless, I went ahead and doodled out an idea of what the Lotus might look like as a final boss. And here she is http://i.imgur.com/ioSdiBF.jpg

Now, before you finish vomiting and walk away, I'll just explain some aspects of this mess.

The Lotus stands upon a large orb on the ground, or is she a part of it? Her dress obscures that feature, but the indication is there. She stands within a throne of sorts, shaped in the Lotus insignia we've come to know. Tubes and wires extend from her spine into the throne, which is in turn connected to the object behind it, which resembles a large collection of servers. Her neck and upper back also send wires and cords up into the collection of ports suspended above her, allowing a constant feed and dispersal of information at all times. Unfortunately, this position means that the Lotus herself is rather stationary, instead relying on the rotation of the orb below to turn and face her attackers. She has covered up her own face completely, removing the last bit of recognizable human features from herself. Beside her, are a collection of external power regulators, as well as machines whose uses are unknown. Most importantly, are the large blades present within these machines. When sheathed, they are harmless of course, but should the Lotus choose to activate them, they will rise up and attack the Tenno, seemingly of their own accord. Not only are they large and fast, but their blades are comprised of pure energy, meaning certain doom for any who are hit. The Lotus can also summon forth defensive drones to dissuade attackers or to make them easier targets, but I'll go into their abilities later.

The arena would be a large circular arena with the Lotus in the middle. The skybox would be the blue netting seen in her transmissions, and the ground would be comprised of a similar material to that seen in the mastery tests.

As for powers, well, the Lotus has quite a few.

The Lotus herself possesses:

Foster - The Lotus copies all current Tenno in the mission as hostile specters. Loadouts and rank are copied onto these specters.

Testament - The Lotus projects a powerful beam of energy from her eye, performing erratic, dance like patterns with it as she uses it. Deals high damage.

Lay bare - The Lotus conjures a powerful arrangement of runes that dispells are Tenno powers currently active, and prevents them from being utilized for a period of time. Sentinels and Kubrow are affected by this as well. It should be known, that while the powers utilize impressive and ornate holograms, they are merely for show. The actual powers are being powered by the myriad machinery surrounding the Lotus.

Lockdown - The Lotus conjures a sigil underneath a Tenno that locks the Tenno into place for a period of time. The player can be helped by nearby allies, or if by themselves, can struggle free.

Recalculate - The Lotus can see when things aren't going her way. Every 90 seconds, she will teleport the Tenno to an area far away, and the Tenno must progress across a terrain that is shifting and moving, forcing them to utilize parkour and speed to return to the arena. Drones can attack the Tenno during this time, but the Lotus herself will not. After the Tenno deal damage to the Lotus, the 90 second timer will restart, and her attacks will resume.

Besides her own powers, the Lotus' blades are present. The blades are largely autonomous, and will perform moves at distance from the Lotus often. At the start of the battle, she will have one blade with these abilities.

Sword combo - A Quick flurry of melee strikes. Deals moderate damage.

Sword wave - The blade will stab into the ground, which is quickly followed by a stream of upward rising energy blades that project in a straight line from the initial impact. Deals moderate damage.

Rupture - The Lotus will thrust forward with a blade, and after a short pause, the point of air where the blade ended will erupt with a powerful blast. Must be performed by the Lotus herself. Deals high damage.

Sword Dance - Sigils will randomly appear across the arena, and energy blades will rise upwards from each sigil once. Deals moderate damage.

Judgement - sword spirals into air and crashes downward onto a Tenno unless dodged. Performed by second sword right after summoning. Deals high damage.

At 75% health, the Lotus will draw a second blade. All abilities utilized by one blade can still be used.

Genesis - weaves a powerful maelstrom of energy from the two swords. Maelstrom seeks Tenno and creates large AOE explosion when it hits. Deals moderate damage.

Cyclone - The Lotus spins two blades around herself in a spiral that has a slight draw effect on Tenno, and can redirect projectiles. Must be performed by the Lotus herself. Deals low damage, but hits extremely fast.

Invigorate - The Lotus combines two blades into a single enormous, pure energy blade. She will then slam downwards with the blade, and quickly follow up with a sweep to one side. Must be performed by the Lotus herself. The third and fourth blades will use this ability immediately after being summoned. Deals massive damage on initial strike, high damage on sweep.

At 33% health, the Lotus will draw the final two blades. All single and double sword powers are utilized.

Cataclysm - The Lotus will stab all four swords into the ground, and they will begin to charge. If the Tenno cannot disable to swords through damage in time, an enormous burst of energy will be released, instantly killing all Tenno and allies. The Lotus is invulnerable during this attack.

The Lotus Petal drones I mentioned earlier also have a set of abilities to impede the Tenno's progress. There will be a maximum of 2 drones per player in play at once.

Laser - The Lotus Petal's primary attack is a constant beam of energy projected from their eye. Deals low damage.

Blind - The Lotus Petal will blind a single Tenno.

Shield - The Lotus Petal will create a small shield of energy, and then float directly in front of a player, blocking their shots. Other players can destroy the drones during this, or the player can simply deal enough damage to the shield, destroying it and stunning the drone.

Focus - The Drone will charge energy, and then release a medium sized pulse of energy that deals low damage. The drones will move 2x faster after this ability is used. Stacks once.

Immolation - At low health, the drone will attempt to dive bomb a Tenno. If they miss, they will simply crash into the floor and die. If they hit, they will deal high damage and drain a portion of the Tenno's energy.

So there you have it. My ideas for the Lotus as a final boss. I hope you enjoyed this completely out of universe style boss fight. You can finish throwing up now.

Edited by StallordD

I love this design, though I still don't see this working as a boss in lore.

Perhaps as a special bonus event/mission you have to instead protect her from an invading enemy force (that may or may not also have a boss in its ranks). Lotus of course would be able to fight back to some degree, possibly even giving Tenno certain ability buffs or upgrades between rounds/waves.

The goal of course would be to prevent the enemy from killing Lotus herself, either by killing them before they can damage her directly or stop them from accessing certain terminals or points where they can hack/shut down her own defenses.

I love this design, though I still don't see this working as a boss in lore.

Perhaps as a special bonus event/mission you have to instead protect her from an invading enemy force (that may or may not also have a boss in its ranks). Lotus of course would be able to fight back to some degree, possibly even giving Tenno certain ability buffs or upgrades between rounds/waves.

The goal of course would be to prevent the enemy from killing Lotus herself, either by killing them before they can damage her directly or stop them from accessing certain terminals or points where they can hack/shut down her own defenses.

I don't think she'd work out too well either, honestly. But I hear the idea thrown around a lot, so I figured "what WOULD the Lotus be like as a boss?" and thus, this monstrosity was born.