Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Annihilation/swarm Game Mode Idea?

duhadventure

I have an idea for a game mode. It is like the survival, defense, and exterminate game mode combined. The idea is that you have to kill increasing waves of enemies. The enemies increase in level every time and you have to kill them all to get to the next wave.

Lotus: The Grineer/Corpus/Infested/Corruptedfaction know you are here. They are allocating all available troops to annihilate you. Hold out as long as you can until extraction is available.

Imagine how hard this would be as a Orokin void mission. 

So, you're saying you want Horde mode from gears of war?

Eh....Maybe. But till the higher levels, would be far too easy.

Why do I imagine a team of 4 rhino's laughing their way through this?

In other words, it's exactly the same as the rest of the game once you get the right weapons. And like the rest of the game, it will probably be incredibly difficult for new players. The difficulty is not a problem of the mission, in my opinion, but of the game as a whole.

I like the idea, but it needs to have small maps like defense missions. 

Edited by (PS4)WiiConquered

I like the idea, but it needs to have small maps like defense missions. 

The first version of the survival mode took place in defense maps. It was awesome to try to hold a location and you couldn't really flee the danger because the enemies where everywhere on this small maps.

From the information presented, it just seems like a very familiar routine. It's a renaming of Defense where players stick around one location and kill progressively tougher mobs in waves... but without anything to defend. It's a renaming of Survival where players stick around one location and kill progressive tougher mobs in waves... but without life support to consider.

Is there a need for this gamemode since we already have the two endless-type missions? What would it cover that survival/defense don't already?

From the information presented, it just seems like a very familiar routine. It's a renaming of Defense where players stick around one location and kill progressively tougher mobs in waves... but without anything to defend. It's a renaming of Survival where players stick around one location and kill progressive tougher mobs in waves... but without life support to consider.

Is there a need for this gamemode since we already have the two endless-type missions? What would it cover that survival/defense don't already?

It lets you concentrate on staying alive rather than having to fulfill some sort of objective. I love slaughtering Infested until I am overwhelmed, and I do not want to run around the map trying to find the next air freshener.

Same with Defense - you run around like a headless chicken trying to kill everything before it reaches the kill range. And they are not after you, they are going for the pod.

In this swarm mission the enemy is out to get you. All you need to do is survive. Fight, kill, avoid being killed.

It is called Fun

In this swarm mission the enemy is out to get you. All you need to do is survive. Fight, kill, avoid being killed.

So... exactly what I earlier simplified the idea to. Survival without life support. Defense without a cryopod. From what I've seen, objectives like these help keep the mission type grounded and relevant to lore, focus players on a task and promote teamwork and cooperation. Otherwise, it just seems... empty and unfulfilling to me, even if you consider it fun.

I'm not going to say it's not necessarily fun, though, that's not an argument either of us can win conclusively. But I am saying it seems pointless to have an amalgamation of pre-existing mission types with no objective other than 'stay alive'. Again - what would this do that players can't already in Survival or Defense? Having no objective isn't going to change the fact that killing for the sake of killing is already a fairly decent tactic in either, if not optimal. 

Maybe I'm biased for wanting more dynamic enemy encounters, more varied and challenging enemy design, and don't want to encourage the number of kills over participation towards mission completion. A 'swarm' type mission would objectively be easier than Survival, and if rewards were given each 5 minutes, it would effectively just be a tired, samey rehash of Survival without an objective holding players together. Add to that the trivialisation of enemy design by frames such as Loki as already seen in long survival missions, or similar tactics, and we have to wonder if there really a need for this.

At the end of the day, I don't see us as needing more excuses to kill for the sake of killing, which is what you've given. You want to make the focus be purely on killing and that number at the end of the mission. I would put the implementation of more varied and immersive mission concepts like Excavation ahead of a simple, mindless swarm concept and even if we had those and there were no alternatives, I still wouldn't support this idea.

And to lead on, if the only enemy left that poses a threat is scaling - and that's exactly what this idea reduces to - then what have we come to in terms of player engagement?

Edited by Vastaren

Again you are missing the point - in defense missions you are defending the pod. In survival missions you are running from air supply to air supply.

Now, while I enjoy complex games, I also enjoy moments of carnage. When the enemy goes after ME, not the pod, and when all that counts is staying alive (rather than keeping an eye on air supply, to make sure you trigger it at the right moment, and not too early).

It would be fun.

What would this type of mission be giving people who already know survival and defense? Good old fashioned carnage without having to worry too much. Something after a long day at work.

Or something to solo - because frankly, defending a pod becomes really hard work (as in running around a lot) when you try to solo it.

The reason the two endless modes have secondary objectives is because staying alive is trivially easy if you exploit your frames powers, and the lackluster AI.

This mode should be called "lets see how much we can exploit game systems until enemies are absurd bullet sponges not worth killing"