Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Miss The Old Melee Charged Attacks

7grims

I was watching this youtube video of warframe gameplay, for its humor content.

But some how I got lost on how cool and fun charged attacks were.

I never, ever, really never, use channeling; spending my energy on melee is not worth, compared to use it for an ability, that I may need to survive, or to kill an enemy/s more effectively, or spam for fun, or any other utility ability. The trade off isn't worth.

On the other side, charged attacks, i used to... well, I would only use them with heavy melee, but those heavy melee were fun and worth when using charged attacks.

And with channeling, or melee 2.0, all heavy melee, aren't worth playing with, I have a bunch of them just sitting in the inventory gaining dust.

I do know the devs aren't bringing back the charged attacks, nor it would make much sense, since they choose a path/direction to melee gameplay.

But do look up the video, and tell me if you don't miss the good old fun of heavy charged attacks?

And isn't that all the game? To have amazing epic fun?

Edited by 7grims

It really has sadden me because the last heavy weapon I used was the Galatine, and boy it was a great weapon to use charge attack on.

I really didn't understand why charge couldn't have been implemented as a stance upgrade allowing players when equipped with melee to channel energy to charge their attacks and power swing the weapon. I'm just throwing this idea around since it was in my head since 2.0 first got implemented.

But I am glad that it's coming back.

Charge attacks were fun, but I don't miss the galatine-only hold-E meta. If they could bring charge attacks back and not bring that crap back it would be great.

Exactly. The Galatine, the Fang(/Prime) and the Dark Sword, were the only three weapons worth using during the era of Charge Attacks. Galatine, for it's obnoxious damage (which was great btw). I never used charge attacks on the Fang, but back then, Fury was +60%, so you were moving faster than you could see. The Dark Sword sucks now because the Charge power that was lost. During charge attacks, if it was modded with elemental damage, it emitted an aura of that elemental damage around you. It was pretty cool, watching Infested near you catch on fire for apparently no reason. I'd watch that all day long, but it wasn't really worth leveling anything during that era, because nothing compared.

Grims, you speak the truth.

Channeling is also never used by me because it just isn't worth it. They should replace channeling with the old charge attack (maybe with combos?)

I never do combos either, the system was designed in a way that even the Hulk would be able to use it, SMASH E !!!

But the timings are so bad I never, or rarely am able to start one.

Edited by 7grims

Charge attacks were fun, but I don't miss the galatine-only hold-E meta. If they could bring charge attacks back and not bring that crap back it would be great.

We traded hold E, for smash E repeatedly...

Never was much of a Galatine guy, that sword doesn't look like it belongs into the warframe aesthetic.

But I do remember the BIG deal, the great reveal, the pazzass DE made about releasing that new weapon.

And nowdays, like many others, it isn't a great weapon no more.

I spend allot of forma, and a catalyst on the jatt kittag, only for the amazing fun of the charge attack animation, nowadays i cant perform the combo, so its a waist.

Edited by 7grims

Melee 2.0 could have been so much more, but you are right, instead of "hold e" its now "go ham on e" or "hold RMB and go ham on e".

I do appreciate the new melee mode.

And the fact that now melee as longevity, you can actually go to high waves and still be on it only with melee.

The combos animation are very well made.

Defending, or parry, or block is nowadays something we can actually use.

The stance mods that give so many sweet mod points.

But sadly, in the end it didn't reach as high ground as they made us speculate.

And the negative parts become louder then all the good that was made.

The only thing I like about charge attack is variety.

Every weapon has different charge attack stats. Some have high damage, some have element damage, and some punch enemy into space.

But I suck at timing. Charge attack is slow. When I charge, enemies either run away or interrupt me.  :(

Unless you have Iron Skin, Link or any invisibility, otherwise charge attack is quite risky. Charging makes you move slower and you can take a lot of shots.

Edited by yles9056

• 2 months later...

Well, I was heavily played Loki perma-stealth for bonus damage and using heavy attacks, the galatine feel was great, but.. well, too mainstream, not enough range to me, and too slow. I prefered by far the Orthos Prime.

It was one year ago. I installed the game again today.

I saw the new melee 2.0 system, with stances, well, why not.

The idea of channeling with a cost was a mod before if I remember well, so why not. But... no charged attacks ? Are you kidding me ?! Spamming light attacks was only used on specific weapons, with elemental damages for status for example. Light attacks were never fun to use, and prevented you to control your char properly if you dared to put an attack speed mod (even if nobody did that).

Right now, I got myself a stance for Polearm, and... It still sucked. I'm so pissed to see what the game became, it's completely $&*&*#(%& to remove the only thing that made the melee weapons enjoyable to use. Sure, it made a lot of them not viable, or only for rushing lowlvl etc... or for movement (Dark dagger with attack speed+spin attack made you fly across the map). But at least, you had a reason to melee weapons on very high lvl maps.

I tried some of my melee weapons now and not a single one felt good. I hoped that playing again would be so nice, with a lot of new content, but in fact, it really isn't, just by the lack of the heavy attack that made melee orientated tenoo nice to play.

well with the new melee 2.0  i think it should be like any hack and slash if you have melee equiped...1 quick but weak attack. 1 strong but slow attack. a quick attack costing mana to be stronger (channaling) and a strong attack costing time to be stronger (charging)

this ALONE would be melee feel more immersive and natural to basic gaming instincts.

Interesting, I vastly prefer melee 2,0 over the old "wzzzzzzz....chop" charge attacks. The old charge attacks made every weapon too similar in usage. Now there is more variety in them and more weapons are viable.

I agree though that the polearm stances are a bit lacking, still dont get why DE stubbornly makes more stances for Nikanas and claws when the old ones are so bare bones.....

Galatine, Heavy sword of my Dream.

Gone away, back again but not the same.

Channeling, glowy useless modding thing.

Memories, the place charged attacks will stay.

I'm sorry, but chanelling is by no means a useless glowy modding thingy. 

To say this shows that you clearly don't know how powerful chanelling can truly be. 

I still see literally NO reason to not include charge attacks as a combo :( It could be so easily made, and would add a ton more diversity among melee.

And don't you dare to start the "everyone would only use charge attacks if they were back"

Is it wrong that some people found charge attacks fun? The only reason why people either used quick melee or charge attacks was because there were charge SPECIFIC mods. So why would I use regular melee which does 100 per hit when charge did over 2000 damage? And vice versa.