Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pigeon Holed While Coptering...

cedekane

OP:

Wall running, sling shotting, sliding, speed, stamina, stamina recovery, sprinting, melee weapon balance.  Coptering affects all of these systems that are actually designed into the game, destroys most of them I'd say.  

-How many times have you bypassed a wallrun that was designed into a level by coptering?  

-Sling shot or slide for extra speed?  Why?  

-Sacrificed Rush, Quick Rest or Marathon, while thinking "Eh, I'll just copter."?  

-Will you take a coptering weapon over everything else?  

-Pigeon-holed.

I'm floored, who'd the procopters pay?  I want to pay them too : ) 

It's fun?  If that's your opinion.  Seeing players try to tackle parkour challenges in different ways.  Wall running and jumping to this wall and sliding, oops you missed your angle and are now crashing into a pit!  It's always variable and new. That was fun too.  And hurray, you can still do it!!....but you won't...because you can copter.

So it's "legit"?  Make it official then, design it into the game.  Give it a mod.  Give melee a coptering speed/distance stat.  Design a parkour challenge which can only be solved through coptering.  Give it an animation.  Balance it so I can see an equal amount of wall running/slingshotting/sliding and not just roflcopter every single mission.  Make people sacrifice something to use it.  Do something with it, just stop sitting on the fence.  They can say it's "legit" all night long, but It still feels like an exploit and it looks like one too.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

9/13

I learned how to copter:

"I'm sold!  Where do I sign up.  In watching this I've realized that the procopter's are absolutely right.  It comes down to playstyle.  More movement options make the game better.  As this video indicates, Zoren coptering is the most efficient means of travel in the game.  Why would I use anything else?" - see reply 43 on page 3.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

9/15

I'm hoping to run some tests using coptering and non coptering frames, just to get a better sense of what coptering is good or bad.  I hope to take that information and combine it with feedback I'm getting here to write a final post/argument/suggestion within a few days.  My goal is to make any suggestion as unintrusive as possible while addressing any problems in the system.

Test 1: Question: Does coptering have any advantages when used as the sole mode of transport.  Answer:  No

Test 1a: Question: Is coptering situational?  Can a combination of sprinting, sliding and coptering be faster than coptering like a bat out of hell?  Answer: Yes

See how I conducted the tests on Pg.3 reply 53

9/17

Tests on hold while the Tenno wipe out the infestation on Venus...Booo infested, Booo!

Edited by cedekane

Never felt pigeon holed into coptering.

I still wall run, I still sprint, I still fit Rush and Quick Rest on a Rhino.

I still use abilities like Excal SD to cover distances using heavier weapons like the Jet Kitty or Dragon Nikana.

If you choose to pigeon hole, the issue lies with you.

Coptering has been engrained into a lot of people's playstyles. Making it a mod can affect a build they've invested. Though I'm not a fan of coptering, I'd just not touch it and leave the speedsters be.

I agree, and I've tried to keep my mouth shut on the whole aspect while this played out.  This is a first and last on the issue for me, and i think I've thrown out some criticism and maybe even suggestions on the subject.

Bur really, no one at DE recognizes the problem here?  Sheldon?

Never felt pigeon holed into coptering.

I still wall run, I still sprint, I still fit Rush and Quick Rest on a Rhino.

I still use abilities like Excal SD to cover distances using heavier weapons like the Jet Kitty or Dragon Nikana.

If you choose to pigeon hole, the issue lies with you.

Hey I hear ya dude, I don't copter either.  What can I say?  I get mad bro.

Edited by cedekane

Parkour is currently messed currently. Using a slow frame your only option for crossing a big gap or travelling faster is coptering. Who wants to run along a wall in sluggishly?

Well, you could stack a rush on that fattie....Parkour is working as intended for me though...

Coptering has been engrained into a lot of people's playstyles. Making it a mod can affect a build they've invested. Though I'm not a fan of coptering, I'd just not touch it and leave the speedsters be.

Actually, if they make it a mod, you could slap it on any weapon. Would be good for added variety in melee loadouts.

It's called coptering because we could chain multiple swings in air and this could be an exploit, then stamina system came to fix it. It's a feature and playstyle.

Can you expand on this?  What is it about coptering do you think that makes it a playstyle?  

Is it the additional speed?  

Does it make you feel uber ninja?

That its an exploit?

A learned trick that most noobs won't know?

Born to copter?

I'm trying to understand, throw me a bone.  

EDIT: specifically, what is it about coptering that the established movement systems don't give you?  Too slow?

Edited by cedekane

Rhino Frost Oberon. What's defensive have to do with their level of slow?

Well, they are designed to be giant tanks, right?   .09, .09, and 1.0, if i remember correctly.  Those numbers are there sprint speed, btw.  

What they sacrifice in speed they gain make up in armor...makes sense logically.  Each is more survivable than, say a Nova, mainly because of Armor/HP/Shields...but Nova makes up for it in energy and...speed...

Anyway, the "speed" system is one of the systems i mentioned in the OP that coptering basically destroys.  I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about it with coptering being permanent though.

Edited by cedekane

here I thought OP meant hitting strange "holes" in maps due to speed (either from the strange boost from slide jump, coptering, or other mobilities) that make you stuck in "mid jump" and can sometimes permanently stop you...well...rarely, hitting slide gets me out...

In any case, I don't mind people being pigeon-holed into coptering...I can pretty much outspeed most competition with the other parkour methods AND the fact that I tend to use a lot of mobility frames (Excal, Valkyr, Nova)...I just wish that those who are pigeon holed into it can at least adjust their speed to the rest of the cell, particularly when there's a newbie around...If they're claiming they just want to do it quickly and efficiently, as most speedsters' excuse, then play that node solo.