Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fireteam- Series Finale- Steel Meridian

Doozy84

Oh my god, best Warframe session ever.

See the Excalibur helmet alert and I'm like "Yea sure whatever, I might build Cal again some day, radial javelin is cool."

Go to mission. Spawn in through cliche ceiling grate next to RHINO PRIME SUPER HERO.

Keep in mind its a low level 10-20 node, so yes, this really is MERCURY HERO level mission.

RHINO PRIME SUPER HERO takes off sprinting in the wrong direction. Its a deception mission.

I sigh, stop to pick up the briefcase, start heading off towards the objective, hit a 2 player door and now I'm standing there waiting for MERCURY SQUAD to double back and get on my level.

Lights start flashing. Lotus be like "GTFO" G3 inc on me.

RHINO HERO and friends pop the door and Leekter is there and he comes out and just starts handling business on TEAM MERCURY. He's fully leveled up to badass mode because I'm host and the G3 popped on me and I was swagged out with my tatered triple forma'd Ash, Terry Crews Steel Meridian Sobek, Glaive Prime, and tater carrier. My conclave was 967.

And I'm standing there with the briefcase and... My new rank 8 snowflake detron that I just bought from the void trader this afternoon.

I'm standing there in the back of the room losing my S#&$ laughing because I'm stuck holding the briefcase with my one mastery-bait gun, and the G3 are just stomping mudholes in the Mercury tryhards, and I can't even touch them with this bad joke of a snowflake weapon.

I start hammering blade storm like every Ash player ever, but it doesn't slow them down. 2 teammates already down and bleeding and I can't even keep the mouse over the G3 guys to keep the LOS on them for Blade Storm again because I'm laughing to hard.

Kill them all, MERCURY HEROES complaining in chat about their worthless teammates, and I don't even say anything, like, "You know, they'd have all been dead in ten seconds if you actually tried to play the game instead of boltor farming your way across Venus." But whatever, too funny, I can't spoil this cherishable moment.

Finish killing all the Grineer, DON'T DROP THE BRIEFCASE BECAUSE ITS MINE NOW AND I'M KEEPING IT AS A SOUVENIR, get to extraction and I still get the stupid excalibur helmet, and a random neurode for my trouble.

G3 didn't even drop any brakk parts, I don't even care. Best day ever.

Oh my god, best Warframe session ever.

See the Excalibur helmet alert and I'm like "Yea sure whatever, I might build Cal again some day, radial javelin is cool."

Go to mission. Spawn in through cliche ceiling grate next to RHINO PRIME SUPER HERO.

Keep in mind its a low level 10-20 node, so yes, this really is MERCURY HERO level mission.

RHINO PRIME SUPER HERO takes off sprinting in the wrong direction. Its a deception mission.

I sigh, stop to pick up the briefcase, start heading off towards the objective, hit a 2 player door and now I'm standing there waiting for MERCURY SQUAD to double back and get on my level.

Lights start flashing. Lotus be like "GTFO" G3 inc on me.

RHINO HERO and friends pop the door and Leekter is there and he comes out and just starts handling business on TEAM MERCURY. He's fully leveled up to badass mode because I'm host and the G3 popped on me and I was swagged out with my tatered triple forma'd Ash, Terry Crews Steel Meridian Sobek, Glaive Prime, and tater carrier. My conclave was 967.

And I'm standing there with the briefcase and... My new rank 8 snowflake detron that I just bought from the void trader this afternoon.

I'm standing there in the back of the room losing my S#&$ laughing because I'm stuck holding the briefcase with my one mastery-bait gun, and the G3 are just stomping mudholes in the Mercury tryhards, and I can't even touch them with this bad joke of a snowflake weapon.

I start hammering blade storm like every Ash player ever, but it doesn't slow them down. 2 teammates already down and bleeding and I can't even keep the mouse over the G3 guys to keep the LOS on them for Blade Storm again because I'm laughing to hard.

Kill them all, MERCURY HEROES complaining in chat about their worthless teammates, and I don't even say anything, like, "You know, they'd have all been dead in ten seconds if you actually tried to play the game instead of boltor farming your way across Venus." But whatever, too funny, I can't spoil this cherishable moment.

Finish killing all the Grineer, DON'T DROP THE BRIEFCASE BECAUSE ITS MINE NOW AND I'M KEEPING IT AS A SOUVENIR, get to extraction and I still get the stupid excalibur helmet, and a random neurode for my trouble.

G3 didn't even drop any brakk parts, I don't even care. Best day ever.

Hehe, the (Aristotle's) tragic hero stories are my favourites.

You silly. Doozy hates the Phage. He'd never touch it.

hmm....lets see as far as i know, this is what Doozy likes to use

Grineer:

melee: ???

secondary: Marelok(vaykor?) Kraken?

primary: Grakata? 

Infested:

secondary: Tysis

primary: ???

Corpus:

nothing

am i getting warmer or am i as cold as Europa?

Edited by Deathshatter

You silly. Doozy hates the Phage. He'd never touch it.

I used to own a phage. I threw it out because its boring.

hmm....lets see as far as i know, this is what Doozy likes to use

Grineer:

secondary: Marelok(vaykor?) Kraken?

primary: Grakata? 

Infested:

secondary: Tysis

primary: ???

Corpus:

nothing

am i getting warmer or am i as cold as Europa?

my go-to primaries are Steel Meridian Sobek and Latron Wraith if I really want something to die. Working on a Hek right now though, and that thing will be a murder cannon when its done. Have a bunch of other primaries but they mostly stay in the closet.

Marelok all day everyday in secondary.

Melee is usually dual ichors or glaive prime.

Corpus weapons are eh.

I kept expecting Saryn to produce a Synapse when the going got serious, but no joy.

However, any Tenno that doesn't have a well tuned Grakata in their armory is missing out on a whole lot of fun.

It was going to be torid or synapse but I couldn't work in a kill with either of those guns that I thought was gruesome or interesting. Just assume she was always carrying it but never pulled it.

Perrin Sequence backstory pls.

Perrin Sequence is at least interesting. I would consider doing something with Perrin Sequence in the future because they are at least human.

From a storytelling standpoint, Steel Meridian and Perrin Sequence are the only 2 syndicates that I think actually have something you can work with.

All of the other syndicates are boring because they don't have relatable human characters. Red Veil is too spooky and sneaky to work, I only ever wrote them in because they're the oldest faction in the game, as old as wraith vipers and gorgon wraiths. Before syndicates, whenever something happened in the game that wasn't Salad/Infested/Vor, it was Red Veil. Red Veil was always the MI:6 or the CIA guy that fed you plot information or gave you cool gadgets, and we were always rescuing their dudes from prison. So they got grandfathered in. But the truth is, Red Veil is actually pretty boring. They're just super sneaky Deadpool cosplayers that hang out in a burning tree house and hand out bio-weapon mods. They're actually kind of lame and don't have a lot going on, I'm only with them because you can co-level them with Steel Meridian.

New Loka and Arbiters have the same problem- Specifically that they're tenno-centric factions, and that makes them boring. Tenno aren't really human and aren't really relatable characters. They don't have faces, they don't have weaknesses, they're bajillion year old cryo-frozen superhuman space ninjas from another age and once you peel the skin off of them there's no emotion or humanity under it, they're just the nameless protagonist characters that you mow down wave after wave of goons with to harvest XP. That's why people actually liked Out of Frame, because it put human faces on tenno.

I have the same problem with space marines in 40k. You want to like them because they're cool and powerful, but they're actually pretty lame. They have brain surgery and psychotherapy to deprogram their minds of any thought or emotion that isn't related to war. It's canon in the fluff... When a space marine looks at a woman, his $&*^ doesn't move. Also, they live forever and are capable of doing all this awesome stuff, but they don't do anything interesting, they just go around fighting everything. They don't love anyone, they don't exhibit complex sympathetic emotions, they have no apparent weaknesses... They're just boring people. Tenno are the same way, they're just post-human automatons, they don't seem to be capable of expressing any idea or emotion that registers as human, you can't sympathize with them, they're one dimensional. That makes them boring.

Then we get to Cephalon... The Skynet Syndicate. Oh look, its a sentient AI... Yea sure, we've got one of those in every science fiction universe everywhere. Why does anyone like him again? Oh, right. Its because he hands out Synoid Gammacor.

Crap... After this I am really going to start writing.

I don't even know what to say, that was phenomenal. How did you learn to write like that? Lots of reading and practicing aside, of course.

the short answer is that its 75% reading and 25% people collecting.

But I have a lot of rules for it besides that. Like for reading I have 2 major rules- Don't S#&$ Where You Eat, and Read The Source Material.

Don't S#&$ Where You Eat means that I never read the stuff that I'm writing about. So if I'm writing fantasy I'm not reading fantasy, or if I'm writing sci-fi I'm not reading sci-fi. You don't want to cannibalize ideas. The only thing that will happen if you read the same stuff you're writing is that you'll either get bored or you'll do something someone has already done, or you'll just steal their idea. The fact of the matter is, 99% of all ideas have already been done, but if you do it in a vacuum, without contamination, you might do something in a way that's fresh or different or better than what's out there already.

Read The Source Material means that if you're reading a certain franchise, author, or universe, don't stay in that universe- Go back to what the guys who wrote that universe were reading and read that instead, because that's the gold mine, that was the pure and unfiltered source. So if you like 40k or Star Wars, don't read Black Library or Expanded Universe. Read Foundation, Dune, and Princess of Mars instead.

The people collecting thing is just a general life rule. You have to be a bit of sociopath, and pick and choose who you want to be around. You're going to write from your own life experience whether you try to or not, so try to be around interesting people. Cut off useless friends who only sit around smoking weed and playing xbox, and spend more time with artists, musicians, fighters, and lovers. You want to be around creative and ambitious people...  Mostly because they're interesting, but also because you might just luck out and they might catch their break, go somewhere, and take you with them.

maybe it has already been asked (kinda sure of it) but... are you going to make a new one of these stories?

Idk... some kind of follow up, "Steel Meridians adventures"

The next thing I'm doing is weapon lore, starting with the Grineer. (surprise) No offense to DE, but the codex entries for the weapons in the game suck. They're two sentences long and a lot of them don't even describe what the weapons actually do, they're not even good tag lines. So I'm going through the weapon catalog and writing multi-paragraph explanations of how they function, how they're designed, who uses them. Some of it I'm pulling out of my &#!, some of it I'm making up based on how the weapon looks like it works, (If it looks like it works at all) and some of it is based on the weapon's history in the game... For example, there was a time a while ago when the acrid was really popular in damage 1.0  because the toxin dot was pretty OP, so every tenno on the block had acrids. Now the acrid isn't that popular... So social movement in the game and usage trends for weapons are taken into account when they're written, and I make up something that explains why people like/don't like the weapon.

Its also probably going to be my biggest fan project. Fireteam was about 22,000 words, basically a short story.The chunks of Out of Frame that I saved are about 40,000 words, which doesn't include some of the off-tangents, cross posts, and QandA stuff, so Out of Frame in its entirety is probably a novella.

"Doozy Codex" Is so far around 7,000 words, and I'm not even finished with Grineer guns yet.