Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fireteam- Series Finale- Steel Meridian

Doozy84

“Sir, I have a report here from the salvage team.” The assistant said.

“Put it on my screen.” Councillor Dak Bein commanded, and waited patiently, packing his pipe while the file transferred. His holo-monitor lit up before him, and a wireframe structure of a Corpus freighter was erected in real time upon his desk, in scale, three feet long.

“What am I looking at.” He asked without reading the callouts and file titles on the screen, lighting his pipe with an antique flint-sparker, a family heirloom from the Orokin era found at a dig site, from a time before people smoked with disposable oxygen-reactive nicotine straws.

“It is without a doubt the transport, sir. It was found drifting only a few hundred thousand miles out past a deep-orbit picket satellite. We have double-checked the registration and downloaded the onboard security logs. The crew was all either annihilated in combat or spaced when the life support subsystem failed.” The assistant explained.

“And the cargo hold?” Councillor Bein asked, drawing on his pipe.

“Plundered, sir. Logs show the crew fought to the last to defend it.” The assistant replied.

“How fortunate for them. Our troubles have just begun.” Bein mumbled. “Was it a tenno cell?”

“Negative sir, logs show combat footage of Grineer marines, the damage on the superstructure is indicative of Grineer boarding torpedoes, and the interior of the decks shows massive evidence of Grineer weapon fire. There are grakata casings and tracings of clone genetic markers collected from autopsy DNA samples. There is no evidence of tenno involvement.” The assistant explained.

“The first good news I’ve heard all day.” Bein grumbled.

“Sir?” The assistant asked.

“We must act before a tenno cell activates. That ship was carrying crucial confidential cargo that was on direct route to Alad V’s personal research and development labs. We must reclaim it before the betrayers are aware of its value.” Bein said, tapping his pipe out on his desk without a care to what the ashes would do to the finish.

“What are your orders, sir?” The assistant asked.

“What can you tell me about the Grineer fleet that attacked this ship?” Bein asked.

“We are certain that it was a deep-patrol frigate operating without fleet support, a picket ship. The QRN (Queen’s Royal Navy) Sulacco. Shortly after the last combat actions were logged and the transport went derelict, the Sulacco made an unscheduled and radically altered course change directly for Uranus. It did not even attempt to rejoin it’s parent fleet.” The assistant explained.

“Uranus. The Grineer’s most extensive gene repair research base.” Bein said to himself under his breath. “So they’ve drawn their own conclusions about the warframe’s capabilities.”

“Sir?” The assistant asked.

“There is no doubt that the QRN Sulacco is the culprit?” Bein asked.

“It would be logistically impossible for any other Grineer ship in the outer system to be the guilty party, sir. The Fomorian fleets are formidable, but too slow.” The assistant answered.

“Satisfactory. Scramble everything. I want an interdiction group to chase the Sulacco down and capture it. Do not compromise the superstructure integrity of the vessel, the cargo hold must remain intact. Activate everything, even the jackal proxies.” Bein commanded.

“The jackal proxies, sir? That is an overwhelming commitment of resources, the expense-”

“Is irrelevant compared to what Alad V will do to us if we do not retrieve his cargo. I assure you, no one will escape his wrath. We will be worse than dead, we will be poor. He will freeze our assets, shame our subsidiary, and you will count yourself fortunate if any member of your family can even get a job on a colony scraping infested carcasses for nano-spore reclamation.” Bein explained.

“Understood. Will that be all sir?” The assistant asked.

“There is a leak. The Grineer could not have possibly known about that transport, it was registered as a civilian commodities freighter on a routine merchant route. It was one of hundreds of thousands. If it was not tenno involvement then it could only be Red Veil partisans. The idiotic clones would play right into their hands. Comb the communication logs for suspicious transmissions and find that spy.” Bein ordered.

“At  once, sir.” The assistant replied.

Bein swiped away the wireframe virtual transport ship on his desk, and keyed in the long-range priority holo-call band on the console in the desk.

“Better he find out this way than any other.” Bein sighed, and refilled his pipe.

He keyed in the priority channel to Alad V’s office.

THE JOKE IS THAT THE SULACCO IS THE MARINE SHIP FROM ALIENS

Oh my god this ten day green smoothie cleanse is kicking my &#! why did I think this was a good idea? I've finally purged all solid food waste from my body, guess how I know. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW, THAT'S A TRICK QUESTION. The answer is horrible, but at least it went down in one flush.

Tune in next week for another thrilling episode of Too Much Information.

THE JOKE IS THAT THE SULACCO IS THE MARINE SHIP FROM ALIENS

Oh my god this ten day green smoothie cleanse is kicking my @$$ why did I think this was a good idea? I've finally purged all solid food waste from my body, guess how I know. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW, THAT'S A TRICK QUESTION. The answer is horrible, but at least it went down in one flush.

Tune in next week for another thrilling episode of Too Much Information.

you look just like i feel

Smoothie cleanse?

Usually, that's the result of a night of fried bar food and several pints too many of high octane imperial IPA (hello Brewkettle Old 21...).

oh my god we went to this insane German sausage restaurant for my dad's birthday and they had Philippine magahakakakaka whatever the hell its called and it was life changing, now I want that. Its so good, doesn't even need condiments. And they had Old Rasputin on tap, which is like the stoutest stout that ever stouted, its like drinking chocolate flavored gravel.

Edited by Doozy84

I've had some mighty interesting imperial stouts. The latest was Left Hand Brewery's Wake Up Dead stout. It's appropriately named (mix with napalm grade chicken wings and...well, you know how it ends).

I think the most notable was Great Divide's Yeti. This one will put hair on the bar--or anything else. It's like licorice and chocolate with nutty overtones and a healthy dose of nitro-methane. Great stuff!

“If anybody has a great idea for how to F*** that thing, I’d love to hear it!” Sergeant Deeve shouted from behind the bulkhead.

“Its a robot right, can we confuse it with a logical conundrum?” Dedam shouted from the bulkhead on the other side of the hall.

“Dedam, how the F*** do you even remember to breathe?” Deeve shouted back, but his voice was drowned out by a salvo of missile fire screaming down the hall.

“What sir?” Dedam howled back.

“I said shut the hell up!” Deeve shouted.

The Grineer Marine Corps was the finest fighting force in the galaxy. No foe that bled could survive their onslaught, their loyalty, their willingness to engage in attrition warfare and stay until the job was done. They were the right hand of the queens, they were invincible. Even the might of the tenno could not hope to stand between a marine and his duty.

That was the current problem though, no foe that bled.

A twenty-million credit Corups Jackal hunter/killer proxy didn’t bleed, and if the piles of slain marines scattered across the cargo hold were any indication, it didn’t really mind attritional warfare either.

“Small arms fire isn’t doing S#&$ to that thing, sir!” Dedam shouted.

“BullS#&$ Dedam! If a god damn tenno is stupid enough to fight and kill one of those things with small arms, you can too- You’re twice as stupid!” Deeve shouted.

He really would like to know how a tenno could kill a jackal proxy using only small arms fire right about now.

“We’ve got nothing on it sarge, even my rifle rounds are bouncing off it’s carapace!” Demeg added.

Deeve’s fireteam was holding the last hallway in front of the cargo bay that held the all-important cryopod, the orokin era tenno cryo-sarcophagus that held a living warframe in stasis. If they were somehow still alive when that giant robot got to the cargo hold, if they weren’t dead, they’d wish they would be. The price of failure on such a critical mission was execution by atterax, and after such a violent and horrible death, there was barely even anything to throw back into the flesh-recycling vats for new clones.

Fortunately, the fatcats and box heads didn’t seem to be in too much of a hurry for the moment. The Jackal wasn’t moving forward, just throwing salvo after salvo of missiles and plasma fire down the hall at any sign of resistance. It was obvious that the Corpus wanted the crypod back, and they were clearing a path for a salvage team to come get it. The jackal’s mission parameters were obviously the slow and complete neutralization of all threats.

Dereb was in the rib of the bulkhead behind Deeve’s, her gorgon hanging from its sling across her chest, empty and useless. She had dumped everything into the giant proxy, but it seemed impervious to harm, and now she was trying to hunker her giant frame behind the ribbed wall of the bulkhead with only her trusty marelok to defend herself.

Derew and Demeg were further back on the other side behind Dedam, both with weapons that seemed equally useless. As Deeve looked back over his shoulder, he saw Derew’s kraken pistol in his hand, and laughed almost as if it was some kind of sick joke.

There was no support.  A napalm and a bombardier had already been splattered across the deck in front of them like cans of cloned tomato soup, the steel grating was red with a fine film of scorched gore, it looked like overcooked morsels of meat on a Phobosian barbecue.

“Well if we can’t kill it, can we at least immobilize it?” Deeve shouted.

“Its theoretically possible.” Demeg replied.

“Theoretically?” Deeve shouted.

“It has to have some kind of weak point somewhere if tenno can kill it with small arms, tenno don’t have anything we don’t.” Demeg replied.

“You sure about that?” Deeve asked. He of course knew Demeg was a thought criminal, he just conveniently ignored it. What if the tenno did have tools that he didn’t?”

“I figure a gun’s gotta be a gun no matter who made it, sarge.” Demeg said.

“It can’t have that much armor on its legs. Look how big it is, it needs to be able to move to support all that weight.” Derew added.

“Alright team-” Deeve began.

He was rudely interrupted by a missile salvo that instantly incinerated a unit of bulwarks and power fists rushing up the hall.

“We tried being smart, and that doesn’t work. Whose ready to try something stupid?” Deeve asked.

“Aye aye, sarge!” Dedam shouted.

“Shut up Dedam- Now listen, if that thing gets to the cryopod, surviving this mission is the least of our worries. If those fat cats get away with the cargo, the whole crew of this tub will be court martialed. So we might as well do something crazy.” Deeve explained.

“What’d you have in mind, sarge?” Dereb asked.

Missile salvo. Dead marines. But they kept coming, that was what marines did. They all knew the price of failure.

“On my count, we all put everything on that bracing joint in the right leg.” Deeve shouted.

“What if that doesn’t immobilize it?” Demeg asked.

“Then it will kill all of us and we won’t have to worry about getting executed by atterax.” Deeve said.

“I like it.” Dedam said.

“Shut up Dedam.” Derew shouted up the hall from the back.

“Alright, listen up. We only get one try. Everyone dumps the whole magazine, whatever you’ve got, just put it on that leg. After the next salvo, when he cycles his rocket launcher to reload, that’s when we go. If we’re still alive after that, we can... F*** it. On my command.” Deeve shouted.

A missile salvo screamed down the hall.

“Wait! Deeve ordered. “Derew, give it all your kraken rounds and then throw a latcher, I don’t want your bomb getting shaken off by rifle fire if there’s a chance this actually works!” Deeve ordered.

“Aye aye, sir!” Derew shouted up the hall.

“Wait for it!” Deeve ordered.

Whir. Click. Zoom. Missiles out, dead marines.

“Go! Go! Go!” Deeve shouted.

As one, the marines stepped out from behind their bulkhead ribs, and fired at the robot’s leg, dumping everything they had into the joint. Dedam emptied his grakata magazine first and went back down, Deeve himself went shortly after, pumping bursts from his hind. Demeg and Dereb were still pulling the trigger along with Derew, and shortly after they hunkered back down empty, Derew threw a latcher. It rolled up the grate, hopped on the leg, activated its catalyzing adhesive, and stuck right on the joint, the perfect throw.

The jackal seemed to limp drunk under the fire, sparks pulsing from the leg the marines had attacked. With a ticking finality, the latcher exploded and blew the coupling off the leg brace. The damage only looked superficial at first, but after a few pregnant seconds of groaning metal, the jackal sunk under its own weight and the leg buckled without the bracer coupling and the proxy hit the deck.

“It @(*()$ worked!” Dedam shouted.

Missile salvo. Deeve’s eyebrows were scorched off.

“Retreat!” Deeve shouted.

“Retreat?” Dedam asked, confused.

“Shut up and move while its reloading! Stay close to the walls!” Deeve growled.

The marines hustled down the hall back to the cargo bay, and slammed their backs against the wall on either side of the door.

“What the hell, sarge? That actually worked! Why we running?” Dedam asked.

“Because the robot is smarter than you, Dedam.” Deeve growled.

“Now that its been damaged it will reassess its threat management and switch to a more aggressive posture.” Demeg explained.

“What she said.” Deeve nodded.

“So what do we do?” Dereb asked.

Sitting behind them was the cryopod, alone and whispering silently with the hum of freezing coolant.

“We haven’t killed it. We’ve only immobilized it. Probably temporarily. Either command will double time something big enough to kill it, or the fat cats will make a field repair on it with their techs before that happens, and then that thing will come looking for us, and it’ll be pissed.” Deeve explained.

“Well, yeah.” Dedam said.

“There’s only one way we can salvage this mission. We ditch the pod.” Deeve said.

“Sir, are orders are to defend the pod to the last and destroy it only as a last resort.” Dereb said.

“This is a last resort. We know it won’t shoot us if we’re too close to it, and we know we need it, but we also can’t allow the fat cat king Alad to have it. I don’t think that robot will fall for the same trick twice, or even three more times for that matter.” Deeve said, not knowing the boss strat because he’s a Grineer marine and not a warframe player.

“But we can dump the pod down the ducts, it should survive the fall. Make it harder for the fat cats to get at it. It will take them weeks to navigate the labyrinth of under-decks and valves of this vessel looking for it, and that will give the navy the time it needs to make sure we keep it. If its still on the ship somewhere, we didn’t lose it.” Deeve explained.

“Well, if we actually live through this mission, that’s the best possible defense we could testify to at our court martial.” Derew said.

“I don’t like it.” Demeg said.

“Its this, the box heads and their toys, or the atterax.” Deeve said.

“This is the best shot we’ve got. I’d rather explain to the commander how we lost the pod, rather than how we watched the Corpus take it.” Dereb said.

“Alright, Dereb, you’ve got the most physical power in your legs. I want you, Derew, and Dedam to shove that damn thing over the edge into the under-decking. Queens only know where that goes... Demeg and I will cover you. The Jackal won’t fire missiles at us so close to the pod but the box heads will come out when they realize what we’re up too, we’ll keep them off of you.” Deeve said.

Dereb’s hydraulics hissed and strained, but she found traction on the floor with her rubber prosthetic footpads, and slowly but surely, with the help of her groaning squadmates, she started making slow progress shoving the cryo-sarcophagus across the deck toward the yawning abyss of the inner workings of the ship.

The jackal, watching from afar down the hall, gave out a series of beeps and chirps in the Corpus language, alerting the crewmen that had followed it. It wasn’t long before Deeve’s prediction came to pass, and prod crewmen, moa proxies, and everything except the kitchen sink came sprinting down the hall to stop them, clambering over the crippled jackal.

Demeg’s rifle cracked, and a box head dropped on the floor, his helmet smashed inside out with his brains leaving out the back with the rifle round. Deeve put two bursts into a fusion moa, dropping it on the deck. Demeg’s next shot clipped a shield osprey, and it spun into a bulkhead and crumpled like a beer can.

They were getting close now, a prod man was so near that Deeve could see his visor, but his blood was cold as ice as he tapped the trigger and the hind shredded the crewman’s space suit in hail of lead, turning his chest into blood confetti.

He heard a screaming clatter and the tortured whine of twisted metal behind him, and knew that Dereb had succeeded in shoving the crypod over the precipice, taking out a chunk of the safety rail with it.

“I hope its warm in whatever hell tenno go to.” She huffed.

“If you guys want to kill some toasters, now would be a great time to start!” Deeve shouted without looking back, pumping another burst into a crewman with a dera rifle.

Demeg’s vulkar cracked again, and a moa was punched off its feet by the force of the round and thrown across the deck. Dedam added the staccato burst of his grakata, spraying into a crowd, aiming unnecessary, he could not miss. Derew’s kraken fired and Dereb’s marelok thundered with a report almost as loud as Demeg’s vulkar, the cut down rifle punched crewmen off their feet and blew limbs off at the shoulder.

“Hey sarge, now that the cryopod isn’t here anymore-” Dedam started.

“Excellent point, marine! Everyone hit the deck! Stay close to the walls!” Deeve shouted.

As if on cue, the tell-tale hollow click of the jackal cycling its missile launcher magazine echoed up the hall, and a split second later, a cluster of missiles streaked through the cargo hold, impacting in the far wall and destroying something that was probably expensive.

“Hold the line marines, at least it isn’t going anywhere this time.” Deeve commanded.

“We’re back where we started, sarge.” Derew said.

“Negative, Derew. We’ve robbed the enemy of their primary objective, have a reason for doing it that might not get us executed, and this time, we’re at least further away from that bullet-proof murder machine.” Deeve explained. “Now get behind something and shoot some fat cats!”

“Aye aye, sir.” Derew said automatically, reloading his kraken.

“Now if the Grineer Marine Corps in all its invincible power and great wisdom would kindly kill that @(*()$ thing now that its not moving, I would consider this a good day.” Deeve grumbled as he pulled the trigger on another crewman.

Excellent job, though I didn't know the Grineer knew they were in a video game. XD  This part made sort of surprised:

“This is a last resort. We know it won’t shoot us if we’re too close to it, and we know we need it, but we also can’t allow the fat cat king Alad to have it. I don’t think that robot will fall for the same trick twice, or even three more times for that matter.” Deeve said, not knowing the boss strat because he’s a Grineer marine and not a warframe player.

So 4th wall breaking anyone? :D  Anyway, I can't wait for your next episode. :3

Excellent job, though I didn't know the Grineer knew they were in a video game. XD  This part made sort of surprised:

So 4th wall breaking anyone? :D  Anyway, I can't wait for your next episode. :3

a recurring theme throughout most of my work is that the 4th wall is my $#*(@.

also he didn't break it, the narrator did. When a character breaks the 4th wall, you'll know.

Edited by Doozy84