Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fireteam- Series Finale- Steel Meridian

Doozy84

All of the warfames are nasty to deal with; just some pose more existential threats than others.

Personally, I would find Nyx the most terrifying. You might not even be aware she's around until she drops the mental hammer on you. Then nothing can be trusted. Raving maniac or puppet--take your pick, but it all means you'll be dead.

For sheer brutality, Valkyr is hard to beat. You can't win a confrontation with her. She can be positively relentless in pursuit. Worst of all, she simply can't be stopped once she decides it's on. If she wants you dead, you're dead, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

As for our Saryn here, I'm a little surprised (and I was kinda hoping) she isn't using purloined Grineer weapons. Grakata, Brakk, and Atterax are all some of my favorites and, well, just like the idea of them in tenno hands ("This is a Grakata, boy, not a toy. Let me instruct you in its proper use...").

All of the warfames are nasty to deal with; just some pose more existential threats than others.

Personally, I would find Nyx the most terrifying. You might not even be aware she's around until she drops the mental hammer on you. Then nothing can be trusted. Raving maniac or puppet--take your pick, but it all means you'll be dead.

For sheer brutality, Valkyr is hard to beat. You can't win a confrontation with her. She can be positively relentless in pursuit. Worst of all, she simply can't be stopped once she decides it's on. If she wants you dead, you're dead, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it.

As for our Saryn here, I'm a little surprised (and I was kinda hoping) she isn't using purloined Grineer weapons. Grakata, Brakk, and Atterax are all some of my favorites and, well, just like the idea of them in tenno hands ("This is a Grakata, boy, not a toy. Let me instruct you in its proper use...").

you might get your wish, I've been playing around with the idea of how exactly an infested biogun eats a clip dropped by a normal bad guy anyway. I think video games in general are pretty lazy with how they handle reloading. I think its okay that in a game like Borderlands you magically just pick up boxes of bullets and shove them into your pants because the weapon design in that game isn't really that serious, but I've always thought it was funny that "Serious" shooters like Cawwa Doody and Counter Strike magically have these infinite pouches of bullets that are always conveniently organized into fully stocked magazines, and you always get a fresh clip, even though that's a hilariously overlooked detail and real soldiers put a lot of thought and effort into deciding how they organize their ammo so they can get at it in combat. One of the only games I ever thought did it right was Day of Defeat- In DoD if you reloaded, you dropped the whole clip and any unspent bullets were wasted. You only got to have so many clips in your bandolier and you didn't magically reorganize and re-handload all your magazines just by hitting your R key.

Which reminds me, why the F*** does anyone still play Cawwadoody at all? They're jut going to release a new one every two years, its like WoW for fratboys, nobody gives a crap how many times you prestige, Modern Warfare 3 or whatever will be out in 18 months anyway. Nobody actually answer that question... I am just getting old.

Besides, its tactically advantageous to use your enemy's weapons, they'll hear the gun going off and think its one of theirs. I haven't thrown out the idea of the tenno salvaging Grineer weapons, its still very much on the table.

The reason people play Call O' Booty is because that's the only franchise most common folk know; It's annual, it's casual, and any football loving beer swigging loser can play it.

Yes, it's a game for FILTHY CASUALS, designed for the masses at the cost of fanboy love. Kinda like Transformers movies in that case.

The reason people play Call O' Booty is because that's the only franchise most common folk know; It's annual, it's casual, and any football loving beer swigging loser can play it.

Yes, it's a game for FILTHY CASUALS, designed for the masses at the cost of fanboy love. Kinda like Transformers movies in that case.

I distinctly told you not to answer that question.

Besides, its tactically advantageous to use your enemy's weapons, they'll hear the gun going off and think its one of theirs. I haven't thrown out the idea of the tenno salvaging Grineer weapons, its still very much on the table.

I read somewhere that this might be ill-advised because they might booby trap a gun or the gun itself is different in function than "Hero A" is commonly accustomed to. Not sure though, just putting this out here as info I found.

I read somewhere that this might be ill-advised because they might booby trap a gun or the gun itself is different in function than "Hero A" is commonly accustomed to. Not sure though, just putting this out here as info I found.

I know the viet cong used to booby trap pretty much everything so that makes a lot of sense, but I think the biggest case for not using an enemy weapon in modern military scenarios is that it leads to mistaken identity and friendly fire incidents. The VCs also had a lot of home team advantage and prep time, the jungle gave them a lot of opportunities for booby traps. I don't think ISIS or the Taliban or whatever those jerks are calling themselves this week really have it as good as the VCs do, because they have a lot of open, visible space to work with and not a lot of trees blocking them from aerial surveillance. I think that's why their booby traps are more macro-level like roadside bombs and less micro-level like tripwires or sabotaged weapons. They have to get it in all at once because if anyone sees them screwing around out in the middle of the sticks we'll fly a drone up their asses and drop a bomb on their goats. The IRA had a lot of the same problems, they started out just grabbing guns and going out willing to trade bodies for bodies with the Brits, but as they ran lower on freedom fighters they started taking younger kids and doing smarter tricks, that's when they got into letter bombing.

That never actually deters anyone from scavenging though, GIs have been bringing home trophy weapons since WW2. (Probably since forever, but the only trophies I've ever seen are from WW2 forward) One of the worst things a marine could do on Iwo Jima (Aside from being on Iwo Jima) was picking up a Japanese Nambu pistol. The gun was poorly designed and prone to accidental discharge, and battlefield looters ended up shooting themselves with it.

I also know for fact that the guys over in the sandbox do a lot of picking up after the slavs, because we've had serious issues getting in equipment and resupply in the middle of Afghanistan before and I've read accounts of our guys picking up kalashnikovs.

I don't think its a likely issue for a tenno, though. As a rule, the tenno are the guerrillas and the Grineer are the regulars. The Grineer aren't likely to know about and prepare for a tenno attack firsthand, unless its Vor $&*^ing around in the Orokin derelicts looking for toys, he probably knows he's asking for trouble. I imagine most clones are too busy just trying to get through their day so they can go back to their cots and spank it to a picture of Ember's &#! before they have to get up for duty again in the morning. They probably aren't worried about booby trapping a gun in case a tenno picks it up.

Hydroid would acutally be kind of creepy to deal with. Since he can turn into water, our dear fireteam could be harrassed by water - lapping the wrong way. Every dripping pipe could hide a Hydroid.

Also, tentacles.

But role wise? I mean I can see Zephyr doing extremely well as a air reconnaissance and hit n run tactic. Mag and Vauban doing some form of electronic sabotage. Excalibur and Rhino as shock troopers. But Hydroid, I can't even tell how useful his powers would be. I can only guess he would be great as an assassin near a large bed of water. 

you might get your wish, I've been playing around with the idea of how exactly an infested biogun eats a clip dropped by a normal bad guy anyway. I think video games in general are pretty lazy with how they handle reloading. I think its okay that in a game like Borderlands you magically just pick up boxes of bullets and shove them into your pants because the weapon design.

As for how an infested bio-gun would reload Doozy, somehow I would imagine the gun would sure some symbolic relationship with its owner, literally using something from our body. Sayrn I can definitely say, could easily produce the corrosive acid needed for the tysis, or would use maybe some of the tenno stomach acid maybe? As for the "teeth" maybe some calcium from our blood stream. But if it's for reloading sake I could say the tysis is supplied with a bag pipe of nano spores =/ 

I had already figured out in my head how I was going to reload the bioguns, its scientifically plausible, at least as far as future-super-science is concerned, and its appropriately gruesome for the story. I'm just trying to figure out if and where it fits in. I've got to cherry pick the most horrible way for marines to die, and I only get so many of them.

As for how an infested bio-gun would reload Doozy, somehow I would imagine the gun would sure some symbolic relationship with its owner, literally using something from our body. Sayrn I can definitely say, could easily produce the corrosive acid needed for the tysis, or would use maybe some of the tenno stomach acid maybe? As for the "teeth" maybe some calcium from our blood stream. But if it's for reloading sake I could say the tysis is supplied with a bag pipe of nano spores =/ 

Bagpipes... that reminds me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Ever thought about doing a weapon lore analysis? Giving out how each weapon was made and what not? Cause I imagine you could easily do it, and make a awesome story out of it. *Course your busy however with this story, and your work life though ._.

Edited by Aeronomatic

Ever thought about doing a weapon lore analysis? Giving out how each weapon was made and what not? Cause I imagine you could easily do it, and make a awesome story out of it. *Course your busy however with this story, and your work life though ._.

its actually a pretty good idea. I do have a little too much time lately and I need to change up my workout routine, I hit a plateau and this week sucked for me. Need to invest in new equipment. 

“Your mission doesn’t make sense.” Demeg told the tenno.

“It doth not?” The tenno asked, with an amused slither.

“Contractions. Doesn’t is like ‘doth not.’” Demeg corrected.

“It doesn’t?” The tenno asked again.

“Why would you kill them all if its a terror mission? Shouldn’t there be evidence, survivors?” Demeg asked.

“Helmet cams. Gun cams. Communication logs. I will hand them off to Red Veil and they shall compose a propaganda video to flood the commnet.” The tenno explained.

“I’ve seen some of your kills. There’s nothing left. They’re rendered down into...” Demeg started.

“Proteins. Amino acids. The toxins attack all organic matter except proteins.” The tenno interrupted. “Regardless, mine own helmet cam shall suffice for the grislier slayings.”

“My own. Mine is only used as a possessive, not a pronoun now.” Demeg said.

“My own helmet cam.” The tenno slithered. “Eat this.”

Demeg felt something being pressed against her lips. She opened her lips, and a strange tasting liquid filled her mouth. She swallowed.

“What was that?” She only thought to ask after swallowing.

“Thine comrades.” The tenno slithered nonchalantly.

Demeg gagged. She tried to force herself to vomit, to dry heave, but she couldn’t. The disgusting filth stayed down.

“Thou art upset?” The tenno asked innocently.

“You sick F***!” Demeg squealed. “Why the F*** would you do that? It isn’t bad enough that you’re going to kill all my friends, you’re going to make me eat them too?”

“I did not think you would mind.” The tenno slithered. “Thine own protein ration bars are recycled from the degraded corpse material that is leftover from thine cloning vats. Surely, thou knew that cannibalism was already institutionalized among thy people?”

“That’s not- That probably is true.” Demeg realized. She knew better than to assume that most things in the Grineer Marine Corps weren’t made out of recycled marines... Especially the marines themselves. “I wish you would have just given me the ration bars anyway. You don’t think about them when they look like chocolate.”

“Apologies.” The tenno slithered. “I hath consumed those.”

“Have. You have consumed them.” Demeg corrected.

“I have consumed them.” The tenno slithered.

“You’ve got a sweet tooth?” Demeg asked.

“I hath many teeth. Have many teeth.” The tenno corrected herself.

“No... Its slang. You like sweets. Chocolate.” Demeg explained.

“I prefer real chocolate.” The tenno admitted.

“I’ve never had it. Cocoa has been extinct on Earth for... Well, most things have been extinct on Earth for a while, its kind of a S#&$ hole.” Demeg explained.

“Indeed.” The tenno slithered.

“Why are you feeding me?” Demeg asked.

“I hath not decided- Have not decided whether or not to kill you.” The tenno said.

“Do I get a say in this decision?” Demeg asked.

“Thou dost not.” The tenno slithered.

“I do not.” Demeg corrected.

“You do not.” The tenno repeated.

“But we both like chocolate.” Demeg wanted to laugh. Me and my best friend, the psycho tenno chick that turned my friends into puddles and fed them to me. I am already dead and this is what Hell is like.

“We will revisit the topic when I hath compiled enough data for the propaganda reel. Thy people shall know fear.” The tenno explained.

“I know fear right now! I’m scared!” Demeg insisted. “You made me eat people!”

“Thou art overreacting, I hath eaten them as well. Human rendered down to vital proteins is highly nutritious when fresh. One must collect the nutrients immediately, though. Before bacteria can act.” The tenno explained.

“You don’t have a problem eating protein shakes made out of people?” Demeg asked.

“Most other livestock species on Earth are extinct. Clone flesh is abundant.” The tenno slithered.

“Can’t argue with that.” Demeg realized.

She didn’t like talking to the tenno. Everything just got weirder the more she got to know her.

2nvrt3a.png

Here ya go... sorry not good at gmod or art :(

This seriously made my day.

Especially with how crappy it is, that just makes it even better. Even the incorrect spelling of protein on the sign and the way the model is so awkwardly posed is wonderful.

that's what everyone in the thread told you to cut out? I didn't see it when it was posted, it was already edited out by the time I got up this morning. That's funny. Put it back in.

And then /quote this PM of me telling you to do it. META FANFICTION REFERENCE IS META FANFICTION HEADCANON. 

"why dost th...why do you fear this ambience?" the Tenno asked. she walked closer to Demeg and stared her in the eyes though Demeg would never realize it.

"you cant expect a Grineer to be comfortable about the circumstances you've put me into," Demeg answered.

"i see," the Tenno admitted.

"you are awfully comfortable with talking with me, and that scares me," Demeg let out after a brief moment of thought.

the Saryn-wielding Tenno pondered upon this for a moment. she then said, "thine comrades-"

"your comrades," Demeg corrected.

"...my..comrades and i once knew and forged an affinity with a Scorpion-class Grineer whose purpose was to deliver an assortment of proteins to Grineer camps and colonies."

"that's treachery!" Demeg said.

"much more than thy own thought crime?" the Tenno challenged.

"i...it was...." Demeg fell silent.

"we did not know her true name, we only referred to her as the protein delivery Grineer," the Tenno slithered. "i once possessed within mine self the compulsion to inflict pain upon those who would ardently receive it."

"that sounds...odd," Demeg said bluntly.

"i shall not repress such fact to thou, however tis a skill that i have granted the Scorpion of subject. from recent private readings, there are many who would go to receive her."

"okay....okay," Demeg's reasoning to such deeds mentioned failed. she couldn't find within herself the ability to suspect such carnal deviances nor carnal activities in general within the stretches of the Grineer Empire. she among many others have always thought that those qualities were flushed out of the genome long ago. then again, the possibility that the generations of cannibalism could sustain that quality was considerable.

minutes pass much like the other minutes cycling within the tunnels. the chilling feel to the skin was as eerie as the monster before Demeg. "its very cool down here," she let out without knowing why. "it was warmer before you kidnapped me"

"perhaps the temperature control systems have failed.," the Tenno coldly said. "thy lot did puncture the ship after all."

"well then...i guess i'll just freeze to death," Demeg said.

"i welcome the cold," the Tenno slithered. "of all affinities i possess, it holds the greatest within mine heart."

"...i will pretend to know what you are talking about," Demeg said confused.

"so be it," the Tenno replied.

"I'm just to leet for you guys!" The Rhino Prime said, sheltering his ego.

Screwed up the quote box, but that was the best intentional typo ever.

One of the only games I ever thought did it right was Day of Defeat- In DoD if you reloaded, you dropped the whole clip and any unspent bullets were wasted. You only got to have so many clips in your bandolier and you didn't magically reorganize and re-handload all your magazines just by hitting your R key.

NEOTOKYO does this as well.

And Deathshatter? That was awesome as all amounts of hell.

Oh yeah, thanks for the font change Doozy. Forgot you did that in OoF. That, or I'm imagining things. Again.

Edited by billthebetta

its actually a pretty good idea. I do have a little too much time lately and I need to change up my workout routine, I hit a plateau and this week sucked for me. Need to invest in new equipment. 

I honestly look forward to it then once you get around to doing what you need to do. Warframe simply doesn't have enough lore on the weapons, just vague recollection of what it does. Halo for example has a large lore base on most of it weapons.  

I honestly look forward to it then once you get around to doing what you need to do. Warframe simply doesn't have enough lore on the weapons, just vague recollection of what it does. Halo for example has a large lore base on most of it weapons.  

I think the reason for that is that the devs themselves don't really have an idea and the depth of warframe lore really only goes back to the original game with just Hayden Tenno running around with his glaive... Which by the way I've never played and I'm pretty sure the games are only vaguely connected by offhand mentions of the technocyte virus, and overlap nostalgia from the grineer, the glaive, and referring to all warframes as 'tenno.'

I'm an original beta buy-in disciple from the days when we only had like ten guns and you couldn't get past a certain mastery rank because there weren't enough frames and weapons in the game to master-and-chuck, and Vor wore red pajamas and we had to walk up hill both ways in the snow, and even now that we have stuff like Ordis and noob quests, there's a lot of window dressing on the game, but still not a lot of lore.

I just don't think stuff like weapon lore every really gets across their desks- I don't think they really have a dedicated writer whose job it is to write copy for all the stuff in the game and sort of back-fill it as they go. We all know warframe is at heart a pretty grindy corridor shooter and they need to keep pushing content and giving us carrots to chase to keep it fresh.

That and their weapon designers make cool looking stuff, but they don't know one end of a gun from another. I don't think a Lato actually has a magazine in it, the Grakata somehow has 60 bullets inside of a bottle cap that screws into the pistol grip of the gun, and the Soma has got to be the fugliest rifle ever imagined- The magazine goes right across the marksman's sights, and the entire thing feeds through the gun like a giant stripper clip in a bolt-action rifle. It has a giant pile of tiny moving parts that it needs to feed the magazine through the gun, when it could have just used a typical detachable spring-fed box magazine instead, and combines all the worst design flaws from Japanese and British machine guns from World War II. If the Soma was anything close to a real gun, it would jam worse than an M16A1 with an unchromed chamber in a Vietnamese swamp.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the lawn darts that the boltor fires come from a trans-dimensional overlap. Limbo has actually been in the game the whole time- He just wasn't a playable character because his job was to feed you boltor ammo from a pocket dimension every time you reloaded that gun. I'd complain more about how that thing is somehow supposed to hold sixty railroad spikes inside of it, but I honestly don't care because I think the boltor just looks cool as hell.

Which is why we need to be able to change the color of all that ugly gold embellishment on the prime weapons. I don't really ever even use my boltor prime though because after you shove a potato in that thing you just get a message from the Lotus that says, "Good job tenno, you've one the game- Boltor Prime master race gg2ez"