Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alternative Game Download Methods (Full Installers, Direct Downloads, Torrents)

Letter13

Heya,

I recently saw a thread which gave me the idea to suggest alternate methods to allow users to download game data (especially in light of some folks' troubles getting the launcher to update properly this seems like an even better idea).

A lot of other large games have multiple download options (green = Warframe has/uses, red = Warframe doesn't have):

- Launcher Installer (just the launcher, launcher DLs all game files)

- Steam Installer (Steam downloads the files on the steam server, launcher nabs latest updates)

- Full Installer

- Torrent Download

Full Installer Rationale

I think it would probably be a good idea to allow users to have an option to download a full installer of the game, which would contain all of the game files for a specific build of the game. Of course because the game is updated/patched so frequently, this option would only work well for very large patches/updates, such as 14.0.0, 14.5.0, et cetera. This would allow users to bypass the need to download/install the biggest chunks of game data and get their game to a point where they may only need a couple (up to maybe a few hundred depending on how many weeks' tenno reinforcements/updates are made) of megabytes' worth of data to get it to an updated state. This of course would require a specialized installer to install the game data to the proper directories before starting the launcher (as the existing launcher would immediately try to do a fresh install if Warframe files have not already been installed).

Torrent Download Rationale

I think it would probably be a good idea to allow users to also have an option to download through torrents. The biggest advantage of torrent downloading is that it would take significant strain off of DE's file hosting servers. This functionality could even be incorporated into the launcher as is. It would function almost identically to the Full Installer, except the download method would be peer-to-peer, and DE's servers would only see an initial load of downloads as it seeds the first few leechers/downloaders. 

I would agree with the torrent but Steam downloads is already fast enough for most people.

The problem with Steam at the time being is that it requires:

A. A steam account

B. Users will have to download quite a sizable chunk of data after installing because Steam's servers have outdated Warframe versions

At one point I believe Steam's servers still had somewhere in the 13's when 14.1 or 14.2 was already out.

I thought that Torrents were fundamentally illegal? Also with the torrents, having never used one before, I assume that it would need to be remade every time there was an update. How would this work? 

Torrents are completely legal. But they are often used for illegal downloads. Just like how cars are perfectly legal to drive, but people use them to smuggle illegal goods across borders.

The problem with Steam at the time being is that it requires:

A. A steam account

B. Users will have to download quite a sizable chunk of data after installing because Steam's servers have outdated Warframe versions

At one point I believe Steam's servers still had somewhere in the 13's when 14.1 or 14.2 was already out.

Torrents are completely legal. But they are often used for illegal downloads. Just like how cars are perfectly legal to drive, but people use them to smuggle illegal goods across borders.

If you're going to download torrent anyways then why wouldn't you just quickly create a steam account? Its free and doesn't take long to make+ all the bonuses tied to having Steam.

Ok? I don't see where's the problem in that unless you're going to be downloading it again because I doubt people that haven't yet played Warframe would be looking at the forums in the first place and seeing this. 

Steam and standalone launchers share most of the files with minor folder structure differences, we can move main files between either versions to save downloading time. :>

Actually, no. If you try to move the standalone version of the game's files to Steam and then try to "install" through Steam, steam will throw a fit and re-download everything even if you just gave it the latest files. This is because when it looks for already existing files, it performs a verification check and assumes the files are all outdated because they differ from the ones on Steam's servers. Also the game's data (such as the launcher files and game files) is spread out across two separate directories, which sometimes makes it hard to transfer the data back and forth between computers.

If you're going to download torrent anyways then why wouldn't you just quickly create a steam account? Its free and doesn't take long to make+ all the bonuses tied to having Steam.

Ok? I don't see where's the problem in that unless you're going to be downloading it again because I doubt people that haven't yet played Warframe would be looking at the forums in the first place and seeing this. 

I'm not saying I have a problem with steam, but some people do and would rather avoid using it. From my own experience (especially with steam sometimes auto-verifying my game's files) I have found the Steam installation of Warframe to be more trouble than it's worth (and have since switched to the standalone launcher for it).

Also I'm not saying that these should only be hosted here on the forums. Rather they'd be download options on the main site, y'know, where people would be downloading the game from. If you already have it downloaded then you don't need to re-download it (obviously). Rather, I want to provide users who are having difficulty downloading it through the launcher an alternative method.

Actually, no. If you try to move the standalone version of the game's files to Steam and then try to "install" through Steam, steam will throw a fit and re-download everything even if you just gave it the latest files. This is because when it looks for already existing files, it performs a verification check and assumes the files are all outdated because they differ from the ones on Steam's servers. Also the game's data (such as the launcher files and game files) is spread out across two separate directories, which sometimes makes it hard to transfer the data back and forth between computers.

I'm not saying I have a problem with steam, but some people do and would rather avoid using it. From my own experience (especially with steam sometimes auto-verifying my game's files) I have found the Steam installation of Warframe to be more trouble than it's worth (and have since switched to the standalone launcher for it).

Also I'm not saying that these should only be hosted here on the forums. Rather they'd be download options on the main site, y'know, where people would be downloading the game from. If you already have it downloaded then you don't need to re-download it (obviously). Rather, I want to provide users who are having difficulty downloading it through the launcher an alternative method.

Steam seems pretty accurate to me with its file verification. Of course moving files from a difference source is going to confuse it but for the original files and recovering them which is the purpose of it it does it well.

I don't see why anyone would want to avoid Steam. Its one of the greatest things to happen to PC gaming. *shrugs*

• 3 months later...