General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

Crashing Problems

Xxaveragecat300xX

Same here. About a month ago I was actually having some issues with this game crashing my computer at random. Then there was that update about how this game loads in things differently now, and it was smooth from then on.

Yesterday I stopped actively doing missions around noon-ish or so, but stayed online. Hotfix went up, I logged off, snagged it, went back online and just talked in Region for a while. I didn't actually enter a mission after downloading 14.6.1 until much later that night, when I realized attempting to enter a mission makes my computer crash.

Except now, so much as opening the game is causing it to crash half the time.

AND RIGHT ON THE DAY CRIMSON DERVISH STANCE IS OUT. GG

ADDENDUM: In the rare chance I actually managed to log in, attempting to navigate the Market also causes my entire computer to explode.

seriously what the **** did 14.6.1 do? I understand this isn't a widespread thing, but it's certainly noticeable enough by now is it not?

Edited by DiosGX

I am personally just having random crashes. At first, it was driver crashes on top of game crashes (only Warframe crashed the drivers), but after a driver update and reinstalling the game, the game still crashes. It also manages to freeze up my computer sometimes as well. This is not a hardware issue, as I play other games just as demanding, if not moreso, than Warframe with no issues. It has only been happening since 14.6 as well.

It's a bit frustrating.

I am personally just having random crashes. At first, it was driver crashes on top of game crashes (only Warframe crashed the drivers), but after a driver update and reinstalling the game, the game still crashes. It also manages to freeze up my computer sometimes as well. This is not a hardware issue, as I play other games just as demanding, if not moreso, than Warframe with no issues. It has only been happening since 14.6 as well.

It's a bit frustrating.

i know

What EXACTLY is happening when your computer "crashes"?

Give as many details as humanly possible.

Personally speaking, my computer restarts itself. I have an external fan I bought specifically to keep my laptop cool. I also check its temperature around the times of crashes--it's not hot. Not even close.

I've had someone who works on computers for the police examine my computer, and he says there's nothing explicitly wrong with it. However, it's odd because it is set up to not restart on a system failure, and is supposed to write a dump file when a system failure occurs--neither of which is happening.

It looks like BSOD. It smells like BSOD. But brother, it sure ain't BSOD. If anything, it seems more like it would be caused by running out of memory and the computer just says "WELP spilt the bucket on that one." But I've checked it with the task manager open, and its memory usage shows no abnormalities.

Again, I'd like to stress that this only began occurring when 14.6.1 came out. I remember it quite distinctly, as region was flipping about trinity blessing recast. I'd been doing missions for hours up until that point, and then suddenly... it's all broken.

Personally speaking, my computer restarts itself. I have an external fan I bought specifically to keep my laptop cool. I also check its temperature around the times of crashes--it's not hot. Not even close.

I've had someone who works on computers for the police examine my computer, and he says there's nothing explicitly wrong with it. However, it's odd because it is set up to not restart on a system failure, and is supposed to write a dump file when a system failure occurs--neither of which is happening.

It looks like BSOD. It smells like BSOD. But brother, it sure ain't BSOD. If anything, it seems more like it would be caused by running out of memory and the computer just says "WELP spilt the bucket on that one." But I've checked it with the task manager open, and its memory usage shows no abnormalities.

Again, I'd like to stress that this only began occurring when 14.6.1 came out. I remember it quite distinctly, as region was flipping about trinity blessing recast. I'd been doing missions for hours up until that point, and then suddenly... it's all broken.

If it's restarting but it's not a kernel panic, then chances are it's a power/PSU issue.

I'm having the same problems, where Warframe crashes and informs me of an apparent hardware failure, because the game caused the graphics driver to crash. When it first started to happen, I thought it was a problem with the latest update of my Nvidia drivers, but a clean reinstallation of the driver and even reverting back to the old version did not bring a noticeable improvement.

Since my computer has no issues with other games, some of which tax my graphics card a lot more than this game, the only reasonable explanation left is that the error has been introduced in one of the latest Warframe updates or hotfixes.

Seriously, try underclocking and see if it crashes still. Rather than a warframe problem i'd say its an issue with graphic cards for the past 8-9 years when not playing "demanding" games.

Its not somuch how much it taxes your graphic card but more on HOW it does it.  Lotsa cards have issues running slow then fast then slow then fast rather than fast all the time.

I personally appreciate the heads-up in attempting to underclock to resolve the issue.

But personally speaking, I've never screwed with my computer to compensate for something that already should be working. I'm not going to go out and buy lug nuts for my car because the manufacturer didn't put them on correctly. Sorry, but again, thanks for suggesting an actual fix. Really do appreciate it.

But what are the chances the other people are also having power supply issues immediately upon 14.6.1?

Low.  But you're the only one that gave me your exact symptoms and info up to that point (others just said "crash" which could mean 43784 things).  For others it could be crashes due to drivers (not just video) or clock issues, or just Warframe crashing and not their entire machine.

Anyways if your computer is powering off and then back on when playing Warframe, there is a problem with your computer.  Warframe is a usermode program and cannot do that.  You can have your hardware unit-tested if there's somebody available to do that... or you can do some of it yourself if you grab a PSU tester and then use some bootable RAM tester (like a liveCD or USB) but there's other things it could be that aren't as easy to test.

If it's restarting and not just shutting off, then it's unlikely to be a thermal issue.

Hiyaz! 

I can't run this game or most new games if i don't underclock my gpu . you could try rivatuner and drop the clock speed a notch.

Its kinda my bandaid fix to most game crashes-restart.

Underclock from stock?  If so, if the card's still under warranty you should get it replaced.  I had an HD 5770 that was overheating and artifacting at the stock speeds after a month or something and I got it replaced from the manufacturer.

It could potentially be that whatever program you have installed is giving it a mild overclock by default due to a mismatch with what the program's profiles think the card's stock timings are and what the card's actual timings are from the manufacturer (as these can vary somewhat).

I'm having the same problems, where Warframe crashes and informs me of an apparent hardware failure, because the game caused the graphics driver to crash. When it first started to happen, I thought it was a problem with the latest update of my Nvidia drivers, but a clean reinstallation of the driver and even reverting back to the old version did not bring a noticeable improvement.

Since my computer has no issues with other games, some of which tax my graphics card a lot more than this game, the only reasonable explanation left is that the error has been introduced in one of the latest Warframe updates or hotfixes.

Warframe informs you, or is it Windows informing you with a bubble in the bottom-right?

Seriously, try underclocking and see if it crashes still. Rather than a warframe problem i'd say its an issue with graphic cards for the past 8-9 years when not playing "demanding" games.

Its not somuch how much it taxes your graphic card but more on HOW it does it.  Lotsa cards have issues running slow then fast then slow then fast rather than fast all the time.

I've been running about two dozen different games on this rig and there has NEVER been a hardware issue. My graphics card doesn't overheat, it runs stable during stress tests and the recent issues were the first I've come across. Even then it has only been Warframe with these errors, while none of the other games I've been playing (in no particular order Archeage, Warface, Neverwinter, Rift, Formula 1, Metro 2033, Far Cry 3, etc) continue to show any problems at all.

If it is indeed as you say and Warframe taxes my graphics card in such a way that it produces errors, then one has to ask the question what the developers of this game are doing wrong to cause these errors. Frankly, after a ridiculous amount of time in finding any kind of hardware issue with my computer, I couldn't detect anything wrong and have only one reasonable avenue left: blame the game.

That said, these crashes aren't a major problem right now, because one like I described happens about once every 3-4 in-game hours currently. I will give clocking down the GPU a try, despite not seeing the sense in doing that because of a single game.

Warframe informs you, or is it Windows informing you with a bubble in the bottom-right?

Both. Windows informs me that the graphics card driver has crashed with a bubble at the system tray and Warframe opens this page ( https://warframe.com/Hardwarefail ) in my browser.

I had already thought about these possible explanations before, but for completeness sake: I don't overclock my hardware, as previously stated I don't see any way of this being a driver issue after several clean re-installation attempts of different driver versions, my RAM & SSD & CPU have been tested for errors, neither the system nor any of its components overheat and the power-supply is stable enough even under CPU & GPU stress-tests which usually require 30-50% more power.

I've been running about two dozen different games on this rig and there has NEVER been a hardware issue. My graphics card doesn't overheat, it runs stable during stress tests and the recent issues were the first I've come across. Even then it has only been Warframe with these errors, while none of the other games I've been playing (in no particular order Archeage, Warface, Neverwinter, Rift, Formula 1, Metro 2033, Far Cry 3, etc) continue to show any problems at all.

If it is indeed as you say and Warframe taxes my graphics card in such a way that it produces errors, then one has to ask the question what the developers of this game are doing wrong to cause these errors. Frankly, after a ridiculous amount of time in finding any kind of hardware issue with my computer, I couldn't detect anything wrong and have only one reasonable avenue left: blame the game.

That said, these crashes aren't a major problem right now, because one like I described happens about once every 3-4 in-game hours currently. I will give clocking down the GPU a try, despite not seeing the sense in doing that because of a single game.

I had already thought about these possible explanations before, but for completeness sake: I don't overclock my hardware, as previously stated I don't see any way of this being a driver issue after several clean re-installation attempts of different driver versions, my RAM & SSD & CPU have been tested for errors, neither the system nor any of its components overheat and the power-supply is stable enough even under CPU & GPU stress-tests which usually require 30-50% more power.

I know how you feel mate :)

My HW had been tested recently as well (faulty new cpu has been replaced) and no issues with HW now. (although upgraded CPU and RAM)

Still WF is STILL freezing up on Mods after 14.6.1, everything else works fine though for me. (missions, foundry, arsenal(except modding), liset, etc...)

But I do wonder why WF is actually USING 90%+ OF THE GPU ALL THE TIME (except loading pages)

Is it to get the highest possible Fps w/o Vsync?

So I'm wondering if a underclock would be even helpfull, I doubt it.

I run GPU Shark to monitor everything on my second screen, don't blame the GPU since it's been tested on a HD6970, R9 280x and friends R9 290x.

Both. Windows informs me that the graphics card driver has crashed with a bubble at the system tray and Warframe opens this page ( https://warframe.com/Hardwarefail ) in my browser.

Problem with this is that the crashreporter doesn't even run, just this hardwarefail page link

How in f* is DE even going to analyze these kinda issues if they aren't getting any reports at all? Except from these forums/tickets?

But I have to say that forum reports//tickets aren't that informative, complete and fast data collection unlike the crash reporter.

2ndly, I want to know why we're getting this page while on stock speeds?

Run this and screenshot the info.

Here you go ( http://imgur.com/ecxmmuj ). As you can see, my graphics card feels rather bored with Warframe, since it is always hitting the vSync limiter.

But I do wonder why WF is actually USING 90%+ OF THE GPU ALL THE TIME (except loading pages)

Is it to get the highest possible Fps w/o Vsync?

Problem with this is that the crashreporter doesn't even run, just this hardwarefail page link

How in f* is DE even going to analyze these kinda issues if they aren't getting any reports at all? Except from these forums/tickets?

But I have to say that forum reports//tickets aren't that informative, complete and fast data collection unlike the crash reporter.

2ndly, I want to know why we're getting this page while on stock speeds?

The workload will depend on the graphics card you own and your quality settings. I for one have activated vSync, because the game runs fine for me at 60fps. Every now and then there are infrequent moments when the framerate drops to 40-50, but I suspect that is more of a lag issue than anything else.

Also, you're completely right about the crash reporter. If there's no way for the developers to see how the crash was produced, then there'll be no easy way for them to eliminate it. Warframe wouldn't be the first game to actually cause the graphics driver to crash, so I'm hopeful DE will get around to fixing this sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having a lot of hardware failure crashes too as of late. I've tried solutions like underclocking, uninstall/reinstall drivers,  and rolling back drivers to no avail. Tried logging with MSI afterburner and GPU-Z, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary. GPU load is also constantly at 99% while playing the game. My machine is a Lenovo Y410P with a GT750m. Event Viewer says:

"The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer." and "\Device\Video5

Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001"