So With Hubs...

Azawarau

Will people accept Warframe as an MMO?

No.

MMORPGs/MMOs are massively largely created worlds. Warframe is not a massively, largely, created world, in which we can explore and always find new and different things. We're limited to like what, 10 tilesets, each with maybe 20 - 30 different rooms we can go into?

Warframe is not an MMO nor is it advertised or stated as an MMO by any dev to confirm it.

Some people won't but a lot of people will, I mean it has the grinding of an MMO already. :P

I agree

I think there are already people thinking Warframe is an MMO

There are many

No.

MMORPGs/MMOs are massively largely created worlds. Warframe is not a massively, largely, created world, in which we can explore and always find new and different things. We're limited to like what, 10 tilesets, each with maybe 20 - 30 different rooms we can go into?

Warframe is not an MMO nor is it advertised or stated as an MMO by any dev to confirm it.

It acts as an MMO in every way except not having an open world

And hubs complete that

I'd love for a DE personel to respond

Warframe it's a DE's take of an MMO

quick question, why is it written "an MMO" and not just "a MMO"? I just know it doesn't seem right written as the latter

Warframe isn't an mmo, it's a Dungeon Crawler.

DFO is a dungeon crawler that shares near everything with warframe

The only difference is the relatively small map full of NPCs you get things from and enter dungeons from

Essentially the same as the star chart except you can see other players walk by

Also there are shops

Also, this probably didn't occur to many of you, but a game doesn't have to have a hardline genre or classification to adhere to, it can just be its own thing.

Thats why its so debateable

Personally i think it has enough features and intent to fall into the MMO category

Edited by Azawarau

It acts as an MMO in every way except not having an open world

MMOs have constant quests. We don't. MMOs have constant upgrades and rewards and things to do. We don't.

We may have updates once every week to change a bit of the game, maybe a new weapon, but face it: we do the exact same thing over and over again from the time we start the game until we hit endgame.

MMOs like WoW and EVE both have many different things you can do in them. Warframe is just stuck to combat, completely. EVE has many non-combat roles you can do. WoW you should level to do the non-combat things like professions but at a certain level then you're forced to quest. Endgame, then you don't have to.

MMOs have constant quests. We don't. MMOs have constant upgrades and rewards and things to do. We don't.

We may have updates once every week to change a bit of the game, maybe a new weapon, but face it: we do the exact same thing over and over again from the time we start the game until we hit endgame.

MMOs like WoW and EVE both have many different things you can do in them. Warframe is just stuck to combat, completely. EVE has many non-combat roles you can do. WoW you should level to do the non-combat things like professions but at a certain level then you're forced to quest. Endgame, then you don't have to.

Not every MMO has constant quests

Many are just plain grindfests for levels. Which is awfully familiar

WF has a ton of upgrades and rewards. Thought here isnt much to do you cant really defend your argument witht hat considering most MMOs are limited to combat just like warframe is

And a ton of games have the exact same issue as warframe in the sense that you hit end game then the game stops for you

What snowflake are you looking for in any of this?

Games like Rose and WoM and SS and Eden eternal and dragonica and DFO are near nothing but combat just like warframe

Youre picking out snowflakes and comparing them to blocks

i kind of dont want hubs

just for this very reason

its just one more wall down that allows the mmorpgers to say that warframe is a mmorpg, i dont understand why these ppl think every freakin game has to be a mmorpg, FFS

MMO, not MMORPG

Though i guess it would loosely fall into that

And whats so wrong with it being considered an MMO?

Edited by Azawarau

Will people accept Warframe as an MMO?

If those Hubs have NPCs with plenty of quests.

If there are NPCs to go to for other things.

If you can see a whole lot of people chatting.

Best of all, are these Hubs going to be connected somehow via instant transportation from hub to hub via a portal or something like it you can simple run through(Ordis would fly the ship to each hub you transport to)?

Can you access the star chart for the nearby planet via the hub?

Can you enter the hub w/o accessing the star chart?

Can you dock your ship at the hub?

Can you see your ship docked?

Can you do everything you can do in the ship outside the hub(just curious, no reason)?

Can you talk to NPCs or have conversations with them?

And would there be a strong incentive to enter each hub and perhaps stay long(w/o this, how can one get another person to call it an MMO if that person never goes to a hub or even stay for long)?

Those are the typical things that make any game feel like an MMO so unless it has many of these features, many may still be reluctant to call it an MMO. It actually feels like a "Shared World Shooter" or Co-op. Even dungeon crawlers have a lobby that take you to new places especially to new dungeons. Infact, it also feels like Call of Duty and Titanfall with the upgrades and customizations alone.

Then there is GTAV which a world in which your character can grow, own property, get rich kill, anyone and partake in many missions, etc.

So does Titanfall, Destiny, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Skyrim, GTAV, Halo 4, and Dungeon Crawling Online Games feel like MMOs?

Which one of these games you consider an MMO?

Is Titanfall an MMO?

But I rather not say if an MMO needs all this...But it sure would feel like one if Warframe did.

Edited by Jinryusai

If those Hubs have NPCs with plenty of quests.

If there are NPCs to go to for other things.

If you can see a whole lot of people chatting.

Best of all, are these Hubs going to be connected somehow via instant transportation from hub to hub via a portal or something like it you can simple run through(Ordis would fly the ship to each hub you transport to)?

Can you access the star chart for the nearby planet via the hub?

Can you enter the hub w/o accessing the star chart?

Can you dock your ship at the hub?

Can you see your ship docked?

Can you do everything you can do in the ship outside the hub(just curious, no reason)?

Can you talk to NPCs or have conversations with them?

And would there be a strong incentive to enter each hub and perhaps stay long(w/o this, how can one get another person to call it an MMO if that person never goes to a hub or even stay for long)?

Those are the typical things that make any game feel like an MMO so unless it has many of these features, many may still be reluctant to call it an MMO. It actually feels like a "Shared World Shooter" or Co-op. Even dungeon crawlers have a lobby that take you to new places especially to new dungeons. Infact, it also feels like Call of Duty and Titanfall with the upgrades and customizations alone.

Then there is GTAV which a world in which your character can grow, own property, get rich kill, anyone and partake in many missions, etc.

So does Titanfall, Destiny, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Skyrim, GTAV, Halo 4, and Dungeon Crawling Online Games feel like MMOs?

Which one of these games you consider an MMO?

Is Titanfall an MMO?

But I rather not say if an MMO needs all this...But it sure would feel like one if Warframe did.

Do titanfall, Destiny, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Skyrim, GTAV, Halo 4 have a player market where items and weapons are traded/sold between players?

Some games that arent MMOs do and some dont

The term falls within what the intent is along with what the game actually is

Take visual novels for example

Alot of games that are considered full on games have heavy use of features commonly found in visual novels but are considered games

At the same time many visual novels play almost like a game rather than a visual novel but are still considered visual novels

Theres alot more to this than naming mixed examples between games

Destiny much like GTAIV can have a player market added in later.

Theres alot more to this than naming mixed examples between games

And that can be found in all the questions asked in the beginning of that post...

And the post was really about how people may come to feel that Warframe isn't an MMO.

Edited by Jinryusai

Might it be called an MMO now?

I've heard it called an MMO by my friends many times, more than I can count. To me though, whatever it's genre is, as long as it's fun, I don't GAF. I love Warframe and I can't wait for the addition of hubs. I was reaching that point where I had nothing left to do but just build random weapons for MR leveling. Now, at least I can help new players better understand the game without having to make some sort of recruiting thread on the forums (which I still might do later if I run out of S#&$).

At least now I can go to a hub and get some people to play with or better understand the game.

Destiny much like GTAIV can have a player market added in later.

And that can be found in all the questions asked in the beginning of that post...

And the post was really about how people may come to feel that Warframe isn't an MMO.

It could have little of that and still be an MMO

Might it be called an MMO now?

I've heard it called an MMO by my friends many times, more than I can count. To me though, whatever it's genre is, as long as it's fun, I don't GAF. I love Warframe and I can't wait for the addition of hubs. I was reaching that point where I had nothing left to do but just build random weapons for MR leveling. Now, at least I can help new players better understand the game without having to make some sort of recruiting thread on the forums (which I still might do later if I run out of S#&$).

At least now I can go to a hub and get some people to play with or better understand the game.

I like you^