Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So With Hubs...

Azawarau

MMO - Massive multiplayer online

Warframe at this moment definitelly is multiplayer and is online so only question imo is if we can name it massive....

at this point if we name warframe mmo we would have to name such LoL mmo as well (I know many of folks that would argue with that :P)

but with hubs....

i think that when hubs will be implemented warframe will gain in some matter that "massive" aspect so it shal become: MMO co-op 3rd person shooter

The general perception of Warframe outside the community (based on comments on youtube, player reviews from IGN etc.) is already that it is a sort of MMO, with a ludicrous p2w structure, as far as I've seen.

However, warframe promotional material is something along the lines of (Suit to Kill, Warframe is a cooperative action game combining the elements of powerful firearms with heart stopping melee action and mysterious abilities wielded by the Tenno, a race of space mercenaries operating advanced armors known as Warframes)

I guess hubs may justify that, since the game is at its core, *Use ability> Stun enemies> explode whole room with guns > grind resources > repeat* at this point...

Warframe is co-op TPS RPG. Sure it lends a lot of aspects from MMO games but it doesn't fit the definition for two big reasons.

- Doesn't have a big area of gameplay where a lot of people are playing in.

- Doesn't support more than 4 players in the game at a time. This is the fundamental difference here as MMO's require tens if not hundreds of players competing at the same exact time.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

The general perception of Warframe outside the community (based on comments on youtube, player reviews from IGN etc.) is already that it is a sort of MMO, with a ludicrous p2w structure, as far as I've seen.

However, warframe promotional material is something along the lines of (Suit to Kill, Warframe is a cooperative action game combining the elements of powerful firearms with heart stopping melee action and mysterious abilities wielded by the Tenno, a race of space mercenaries operating advanced armors known as Warframes)

I guess hubs may justify that, since the game is at its core, *Use ability> Stun enemies> explode whole room with guns > grind resources > repeat* at this point...

How is warframe considered pay2win?

Youtube comments dont matter ._.

Hubs are still instances, not open-world locations.

I wonder how DE intends to pull this one off

How is warframe considered pay2win?

No idea, warframe is pretty grindy occasionally (hydroid / stance drops maybe), maybe thats where the p2w feeling comes from, but obviously youtube comments have no merit, although they do show you what some people think occasionally

I wonder how DE intends to pull this one off

The host migrations though...

Edited by Somedude1000

I think there are already people thinking Warframe is an MMO

I know i kinda do... i get some of the old Phantasy Star Universe vibes that i used to have when i play this. Granted it didnt have player interaction like PSU did but i think those vibes will be even stronger when Hubs are added to the mix what with the grinding, the co-op, the trading and the events already all in place.

Its not a out and out MMO sure but its a hybrid of sorts and i feel like DE will take it a direction which over the next year or so will become closer and closer to being one. Not a bad direction if you ask me...

the idea of having hubs is great

regardless of that MMO concept you all thinking

this is why we cant get nice stuffs

just dont ever add lame emoticon like dancing and flying kisses animation srsly.

it will trigger an apocalypse im cereal.

Edited by Ritchel

the idea of having hubs is great

regardless of that MMO concept you all thinking

this is why we cant get nice stuffs

just dont ever add lame emoticon like dancing and flying kisses animation srsly.

it will trigger an apocalypse im cereal.

I look forward to spending hours being a sensei to newbies who don't know what a slot is. Oh the lolz i will get. At least these guys won't be sitting there not knowing what to do like I did back when I started. Perhaps a tutoring system will keep older players busy, then again, I just realised I only play the American Servers most of the time, and they are 12 hours behind.... 

Guess I'll be a late night tutor

On the bright side though,perhaps we can maekt eh player hubs special enough so that they don't turn the gamne into an all out MMO simply by interacting with players in such a way that makes the game unique compared to others with similar characteristcs, but that'll be wishful thinking withou strong community support

I think of Warframe as an 3rd Person Shooter with "MMORPG-elements". And I use the term "MMORPG-elements" quite loosely right there.

It has some different classes (Warframes) with specialized abilities as well as a leveling/ranking-system and items to grind for with a mod/appearance-customization path, which resembles an "RPG". With dojos/hubs there's something like a "town" where much more people can meet each other at the same time - but that's about it when it comes to "MMO".

Full MMORPG? Not even close. Not until DE decides to get a vast open world environment and uses random-level generation using pre-defined tile-sets only for instances of dungeons or something like that. And for being able to do that they'd need real dedicated server-farms which I guess DE will never be able to afford and maintain the way they are marketing their game currently as F2P. At least not if they don't want to get on the "Korean-style grind MMORPGs"-train where the game becomes literally unplayable and unenjoyable.

Edited by MeduSalem

I think of Warframe as an 3rd Person Shooter with "MMORPG-elements". And I use the term "MMORPG-elements" quite loosely right there.

It has some different classes (Warframes) with specialized abilities as well as a leveling/ranking-system and items to grind for with a mod/appearance-customization path, which resembles an "RPG". With dojos/hubs there's something like a "town" where much more people can meet each other at the same time - but that's about it when it comes to "MMO".

Full MMORPG? Not even close. Not until DE decides to get a vast open world environment and uses random-level generation using pre-defined tile-sets only for instances of dungeons or something like that. And for being able to do that they'd need real dedicated server-farms which I guess DE will never be able to afford and maintain the way they are marketing their game currently as F2P. At least not if they don't want to get on the "Korean-style grind MMORPGs"-train where the game becomes literally unplayable and unenjoyable.

Literally the one thing that set it apart from other games is it doesnt have a massive open world

Many MMOs dont have massive worlds but are considered MMOs

Its a loose term all around

MMOs like WoW and EVE both have many different things you can do in them.

Except that in MMO's it's all basically the same. Fetch item X from person Y and kill mob Z before killing some boss. That can get old fast because even though it's different items, mobs and bosses, it's all just an excuse to get to the fighting itself. Warframe might be a bit too simplistic but at least we don't have to jump through 10000 hoops and grind for quest drops on every single mob. You only get forced to grind if you want something. Which for me is an Ash warframe right now.

Vindictus did ok with mixing things up but all the fetch stuff got old fast there too. But the beauty of that is that most of those were optional and focused more on the fights themselves. Stopped playing that game though when those tear drops multiplied into three. A zero point-something percent chance drop rate per tear (Not even joking) for top gear items? Nope. Done.

And those MMOs tend to have a lobby system where you can speak to NPC and receive quests and run into people as well as access all dungeons/missions via the lobby and not have to go to your room to do that.

The lobbies all connect to each other.

If warframe does this, MMO would come to mind for many. Until this happens, you'll be trying to convince people Warframe is an MMO until the end.

Literally the one thing that set it apart from other games is it doesnt have a massive open world

Its a loose term all around

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game#Comparison_to_other_games

"Most MMOGs also share other characteristics that make them different from other multiplayer online games. MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on a company owned servers. Non-MMOGs, such as Battlefield 1942 or Half-Life usually have fewer than 50 players online (per server) and are usually played on private servers."

So I'd say Warframe supports 4 players per squad with players hosting the sessions themselves (Even the dojo is hosted by one player in that aspect). That's even less than most lately shooters using dedicated servers do. So in my opinion Warframe is Non-MMO because it lacks a single large game world and also the thousands of simultaneous players in it.

And those MMOs tend to have a lobby system where you can speak to NPC and receive quests and run into people as well as access all dungeons/missions via the lobby and not have to go to your room to do that.

If warframe does this, MMO would come to mind for many. Until this happens, you'll be trying to convince people Warframe is an MMO until the end.

That's something that's debateable and pretty much on the edge of the blade... and hence why I said "MMO"-elements, but only once Hubs are out and we have such a shared place to interact with each other freely. But currently it's definitely not MMO. ^^

Would somehow be interesting to know what the Devs themselves think about that matter. :D

Edited by MeduSalem

Hubs may have NPCs in them that give quests and are apparently going to further character interaction by dividing up clan research

It still falls more into the MMO side than other games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game#Comparison_to_other_games

"Most MMOGs also share other characteristics that make them different from other multiplayer online games. MMOGs host a large number of players in a single game world, and all of those players can interact with each other at any given time. Popular MMOGs might have thousands of players online at any given time, usually on a company owned servers. Non-MMOGs, such as Battlefield 1942 or Half-Life usually have fewer than 50 players online (per server) and are usually played on private servers."

So I'd say Warframe supports 4 players per squad with players hosting the sessions themselves (Even the dojo is hosted by one player in that aspect). That's even less than most lately shooters using dedicated servers do. So in my opinion Warframe is Non-MMO because it lacks a single large game world and also the thousands of simultaneous players in it.

That's something that's debateable and pretty much on the edge of the blade... and hence why I said "MMO"-elements, but only once Hubs are out and we have such a shared place to interact with each other freely. But currently it's definitely not MMO. ^^

Would somehow be interesting to know what the Devs themselves think about that matter. :D

Do either of those have an interactive trade system? Do you improve your character very much if at all? Does it have things you can build and call your own? Options for clans or guilds of some kind? Open world chat?

I could list these all day

There are some serious differences between Half life/Battlefield and warframe that would set the two apart as far as this argument goes

Do either of those have an interactive trade system? Do you improve your character very much if at all? Does it have things you can build and call your own? Options for clans or guilds of some kind? Open world chat?

I could list these all day

There are some serious differences between Half life/Battlefield and warframe that would set the two apart as far as this argument goes

In that way you could call Diablo 3 or crap like that also an MMORPG because it has almost all of the above. A trade-system (even an AH before they shut it down), character improvement, you can craft stuff, clans/guilds and open world chat. I guess you'll find nobody who calls D3 an MMO because it has all of that just for the fact that gameplay is limited to 4 people in a particular session. It's still plain old hack an slash action RPG with some MMO-elements taken out of WoW.

But well for the sake of it call Warframe an MMO if you want... Currently I don't think it is one just because of the fact that I never see more than 4 people at once in an active session/squad... and maybe like 5-10 people every once in a while in bigger clan dojos when I feel like trading every other 2 months or something, but that isn't something astonishing either.

It might change when the Hubs come out but since the Hubs are supposed to be more like a 3D relay chat room (much like IRC but with a 3D interface) I'm still on the fence wether to call it an MMO then or not, hence why I'm open to say it has at least "MMO-elements" then. But the particular gameplay is still not MMO because you never take 100 people (or more) into an actual mission. There's never a point where there are 1000 players simultaneously in the same instance of a gameworld.

Edited by MeduSalem

quick question, why is it written "an MMO" and not just "a MMO"? I just know it doesn't seem right written as the latter

English lesson time!

The term 'an' is a weird one. In a normal sentence without any acronyms and the use of 'an' in the the sentence, it would act like this:

"There was a cardboard box."

If a word with a vowel was in place of cardboard, you would use 'an'

But with Acronyms, the proper way you would think to say it would be using 'a' if it started without a vowel if you were to say the acronym like a word, but 'an' comes into place when you are saying the letters of the acronym or standalone letter.

In that way you could call Diablo 3 or crap like that also an MMORPG because it has almost all of the above. A trade-system (even an AH before they shut it down), character improvement, you can craft stuff, clans/guilds and open world chat. I guess you'll find nobody who calls D3 an MMO because it has all of that just for the fact that gameplay is limited to 4 people in a particular session. It's still plain old hack an slash action RPG with some MMO-elements taken out of WoW.

But well for the sake of it call Warframe an MMO if you want... Currently I don't think it is one just because of the fact that I never see more than 4 people at once in an active session/squad... and maybe like 5-10 people every once in a while in bigger clan dojos when I feel like trading every other 2 months or something, but that isn't something astonishing either.

It might change when the Hubs come out but since the Hubs are supposed to be more like a 3D relay chat room (much like IRC but with a 3D interface) I'm still on the fence wether to call it an MMO then or not, hence why I'm open to say it has at least "MMO-elements" then. But the particular gameplay is still not MMO because you never take 100 people (or more) into an actual mission. There's never a point where there are 1000 players simultaneously in the same instance of a gameworld.

Diablo is the big name in this situation

I wouldnt consider that one to be an MMO the way WF is myself