Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Rework - With A Neat Little Synergy I Thought Of Too!

Azamagon

Let's start with a little summary (the special synergy is underlined):

* Soul Punch - Ragdolls the target, deals damage and places a viral DoT. If the target dies by/during Soul Punch (damage or DoT) a Shadow minion is raised from its corpse (Note: A corpse will still be made, it's more like a Shadow comes out as a "soul copy" from the corpse).

* Terrify - All enemies run away in fear like normal. However, if an enemy gets close to a corpse, their fear becomes more intense, causing them to cower in place for a short while.

* Desecrate - No longer rolls for extra mods/oxygen (mod and oxygen drop changes should simply be increased to compensate), but still causes a health orb and/or energy orb and/or ammo to spawn from a corpse. In addition, the desecration process is done very violently by Nekros's summoning nanite bugs over the corpse, causing the corpse to be ripped apart in an explosive fashion, dealing AoE damage to nearby targets (Damage could be any of Slash/Viral/Blast).

* Shadows of the Dead - Works the same as now, but gets some buffs (they are stronger and more durable + can be directed. Same goes for the Soul Punch minion). Some little wisps floating around his rings on his arms and legs can indicate how many minions he has available for summoning.

* Nekros' Stats - I'd maybe increase his base Energy to 125, instead of just 100. He seems kind of castery, so a mild increase in max energy seems in order, no?

Now, that's the summary of it all. Here are each change in more detail:

* Soul Punch

* The secondary missile is now removed (for the favour of the minion summon.)

* The target is still ragdolled and takes instant damage Affected by Power Strength.

* The target suffers a Viral DoT over quite a long time. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

* If the target dies from the instant damage or by / during the DoT, a Shadow Minion is created. A corpse is still left behind, so graphically it could look like a Shadow "comes out" from the corpse :)

* The Shadow Minion is more powerful than the target it is copied from: Dealing more damage and suffering less damage taken. However, it only has a set duration it lasts (15 seconds max?), after which it simply dies. Its damage dealt and damage taken are improved by Power Strength, its duration is affected by Power Duration.

* To give Power Range a use, upon casting and the main target taking instant damage, a non-damaging shockwave could be done that also staggers all targets around the main target?

* Terrify

* All targets that are feared will run away in fear, like now.

* Instead of lowering armor of enemies, all enemies could simply suffer more damage taken (by 5/10/15/20%). That makes the debuff more useful against ALL factions. Affected by Power Strength.

* As soon as a feared targets gets within a certain range of a corpse (6 meters?), they will instead stay still and cower in fear next to the corpse (say, 2/3/4/5 seconds). Ranged detection of corpse affected by Power Range and cower affected by Power Duration.

* Should be cast a bit faster.

* Desecrate

* Still has a high chance to spawn a health orb and/or ammunition from corpses. Chance MAYBE affected by Power Strength?

* No longer rolls for mods or oxygen in survival. Chances for mods or oxygen to drop should simply be increased across the board to compensate. (I really think this change needs to be done. Nekros only being used for farming is dull and annoying, not to mention taxing for your hand and keyboard...)

* Now ALWAYS destroys all corpses it finds on the first cast. Each corpse are now picked apart violently when Desecrated (could be visualized by violent nanite bugs swarming quickly over the corpse). This causes each corpse to deal 100/150/200/250 damage in a 7/8/9/10 meter AoE radius. Damage could be Slash, Viral or Blast. Or a mix of those somehow. Damage affected by Power Strength, radius affected by Power Range.

* Terrify causing enemies to stay stunned when they get quite close to corpses has obvious devastating synergy! ;)

* Shadows of the Dead

* Still summons a bunch of enemies like before. Amount of enemies could be affected by Power Range, rather than by Power Strength, perhaps?

* As Nekros kills more enemies eligible for summoning, small little "wisps" float around the rings he has on his arms and legs. Nothing obstructive, just something to indicate he has minions available for summoning.

* Nekros summons all his minions more progressively throughout the cast (instead of just first one minion, then the rest whe he is done casting)

* Cast time could be quite a bit faster. A bit less important if the summoning is done more progressively though.

* Shadow Minions in general

Note: These notes goes for both Soul Punch and Shadows of the Dead minions.

* Target marking can now be done to make your minions focus specific targets!

* Minions never go and take cover, they always behave with 100% aggression! >:)

* If minions have no enemy to attack within a certain radius (30 meters?) they will follow Nekros around, like if he has them on a very long leash.

* Allies can walk and shoot through minions!

* Power Strength causes the minions to deal more damage and suffer less damage taken.

* Power Duration causes the minions to last longer.

Would theses be good changes? :)

Edited by Azamagon

I dislike most of it, especially the Desecrate idea (and not only because you'd remove the mod drops, Nekros is not meant to be a damage dealer at all and it doesn't make any sense), but the Shadows of the dead rework idea is interesting.

I dislike most of it, especially the Desecrate idea (and not only because you'd remove the mod drops, Nekros is not meant to be a damage dealer at all and it doesn't make any sense), but the Shadows of the dead rework idea is interesting.

So, you don't like the minion-thing on Soul Punch?

You don't like the corpse-stun-fear-thing on Terrify?

Why is the Desecrate idea so bad? He would still be supporting with ammo and orbs. Having such an overly niched function with more mod drops and oxygen just makes him a chore, a necessity and a burden all at once. Making it actually have some direct use in combat, besides the utility of orbs and ammo is only good imo, as it gives him so much more combat-use with dead enemies (SotD + SP gives minions on death, corpses gives damage), highly fitting for a Necromancer. Besides, I said to boost the drops across the board too, so Nekros shouldn't be necessary for farming and Survival-games.

Glad you liked the SotD changes though :)

you kill desecrate, you kill nekros.

Nope.

* I said that chances for drops (mods and oxygen) should be buffed acrossed the board to compensate

* The ability to summon a crapload of STRONG, DURABLE and more AGGRESSIVE and CONTROLLABLE minions (Soul Punch + SotD)...

* Allowing Desecrate to use all the corpses on the field for damage and utility (ammo + orbs)...

* Terrified targets being more predictable and easy to kill around corpses and making it have a less niched damage-booster...

... how would he be "dead" by these changes?

+1 to you OP............ with your suggestions our glorified janitors(3 spamming Nekros') can actually do something combative while doing their jobs! (IF the changes go in affect) + synergy  between his underused/powered 2 and his overused/abused 3 would be great. and the changes to SoTD sound glorious; i myself have always wondered why soul punch doesn't do what you suggested with the "summon shadow on kill" thing. i always thought that the "Soul" that you punched out should be added to the SoTD pool; but your idea would give it much more utility than it currently has. (maybe rename it to "Curse of Undeath"?)

Let's start with a little summary (the special synergy is underlined):

* Soul Punch - Ragdolls the target, deals damage and places a viral DoT. If the target dies by/during Soul Punch (damage or DoT) a Shadow minion is raised from its corpse (Note: A corpse will still be made, it's more like a Shadow comes out as a "soul copy" from the corpse).

* Terrify - All enemies run away in fear like normal. However, if an enemy gets close to a corpse, their fear becomes more intense, causing them to cower in place for a short while.

* Desecrate - No longer rolls for extra mods/oxygen (mod and oxygen drop changes should simply be increased to compensate), but still causes a health orb and/or ammo to spawn from a corpse. In addition, the desecration process is done very violently by Nekros's summoning nanite bugs over the corpse, causing the corpse to be ripped apart in an explosive fashion, dealing AoE damage to nearby targets (Damage could be any of Slash/Viral/Blast).

* Shadows of the Dead - Works the same as now, but gets some buffs (they are stronger and more durable + can be directed. Same goes for the Soul Punch minion). Some little wisps floating around his rings on his arms and legs can indicate how many minions he has available for summoning.

* Nekros' Stats - I'd maybe increase his base Energy to 125, instead of just 100. He seems kind of castery, so a mild increase in max energy seems in order, no?

Now, that's the summary of it all. Here are each change in more detail:

* Soul Punch

* The secondary missile is now removed (for the favour of the minion summon.)

* The target is still ragdolled and takes instant damage Affected by Power Strength.

* The target suffers a Viral DoT over quite a long time. Affected by Power Strength and Power Duration.

* If the target dies from the instant damage or by / during the DoT, a Shadow Minion is created. A corpse is still left behind, so graphically it could look like a Shadow "comes out" from the corpse :)

* The Shadow Minion is more powerful than the target it is copied from: Dealing more damage and suffering less damage taken. However, it only has a set duration it lasts (15 seconds max?), after which it simply dies. Its damage dealt and damage taken are improved by Power Strength, its duration is affected by Power Duration.

* To give Power Range a use, upon casting and the main target taking instant damage, a non-damaging shockwave could be done that also staggers all targets around the main target?

* Terrify

* All targets that are feared will run away in fear, like now.

* Instead of lowering armor of enemies, all enemies could simply suffer more damage taken (by 5/10/15/20%). That makes the debuff more useful against ALL factions. Affected by Power Strength.

* As soon as a feared targets gets within a certain range of a corpse (6 meters?), they will instead stay still and cower in fear next to the corpse (say, 2/3/4/5 seconds). Ranged detection of corpse affected by Power Range and cower affected by Power Duration.

* Should be cast a bit faster.

* Desecrate

* Still has a high chance to spawn a health orb and/or ammunition from corpses. Chance MAYBE affected by Power Strength?

* No longer rolls for mods or oxygen in survival. Chances for mods or oxygen to drop should simply be increased across the board to compensate. (I really think this change needs to be done. Nekros only being used for farming is dull and annoying, not to mention taxing for your hand and keyboard...)

* Now ALWAYS destroys all corpses it finds on the first cast. Each corpse are now picked apart violently when Desecrated (could be visualized by violent nanite bugs swarming quickly over the corpse). This causes each corpse to deal 100/150/200/250 damage in a 7/8/9/10 meter AoE radius. Damage could be Slash, Viral or Blast. Or a mix of those somehow. Damage affected by Power Strength, radius affected by Power Range.

* Terrify causing enemies to stay stunned when they get quite close to corpses has obvious devastating synergy! ;)

* Shadows of the Dead

* Still summons a bunch of enemies like before. Amount of enemies could be affected by Power Range, rather than by Power Strength, perhaps?

* As Nekros kills more enemies eligible for summoning, small little "wisps" float around the rings he has on his arms and legs. Nothing obstructive, just something to indicate he has minions available for summoning.

* Nekros summons all his minions more progressively throughout the cast (instead of just first one minion, then the rest whe he is done casting)

* Cast time could be quite a bit faster. A bit less important if the summoning is done more progressively though.

* Shadow Minions in general

Note: These notes goes for both Soul Punch and Shadows of the Dead minions.

* Target marking can now be done to make your minions focus specific targets!

* Minions never go and take cover, they always behave with 100% aggression! >:)

* If minions have no enemy to attack within a certain radius (30 meters?) they will follow Nekros around, like if he has them on a very long leash.

* Allies can walk and shoot through minions!

* Power Strength causes the minions to deal more damage and suffer less damage taken.

* Power Duration causes the minions to last longer.

Would theses be good changes? :)

If you take the mod drop rate off Nekros, you can say goodbye to anyone who plays him. He's not meant to be a damage dealer, he's a support frame. You're there to support. Terrify to have Mobs flee from you to revive a teammate or give the defence target a chance to heal. shadows of the dead to take aggro off teammates, Desecrate for extra loot.

He's a support frame, be supportive to your teammates.

If you take the mod drop rate off Nekros, you can say goodbye to anyone who plays him. He's not meant to be a damage dealer, he's a support frame. You're there to support. Terrify to have Mobs flee from you to revive a teammate or give the defence target a chance to heal. shadows of the dead to take aggro off teammates, Desecrate for extra loot.

He's a support frame, be supportive to your teammates.

Thats backwards

If the drop rate were change to reflect desecrate being gone and nekros gained a new support power then hed be a better support than ever

First of all the fact Nekros is meant by the community as a supportive Warframe doesn't mean it mustn't deal damages.

Second, a supportive role isn't filled just by bringing generic Utilities for the party, but also by inflicting Debuffs and negative Statuses.
Imho this is what Nekros lack. Applying Bleeding, Viral, Weakness, Toxic, Gas, Corrosive statuses. The other lack is synergy between its skills.

The OP understood finely that Nekros has been designed to take advantage from dead enemies, I do agree on most of his ideas, but I decline the offer on his changes about the droprate of Desacrate. Probably it's the only 'UTILITY' skill worth on it atm. And raising the generic droprate doesn't seem a good idea..
I'd like to see it spawn gas clouds on a successful desecrate anyway.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

I'd rather see Desecrate get turned into a selfish or team-based life drain on the corpses (that could still drop loot; just make it an aura so Nekros doesn't have to keep spamming 3), and the change to Terrify causing a stun near corpses sounds too situational. I think a slow/snare effect as Nekros gets close to them (or just upon cast) would make it a better CC tool. I do like the straight vulnerability debuff replacing the armor debuff, though.

I also like the Soul Punch/Shadows changes.

I'd rather see Desecrate get turned into a selfish or team-based life drain on the corpses (that could still drop loot; just make it an aura so Nekros doesn't have to keep spamming 3), and the change to Terrify causing a stun near corpses sounds too situational. I think a slow/snare effect as Nekros gets close to them (or just upon cast) would make it a better CC tool. I do like the straight vulnerability debuff replacing the armor debuff, though.

I also like the Soul Punch/Shadows changes.

First off, yeah, the Soul Punch/SotD changes are probably the most fitting, easy and viable changes. Those don't need too much tampering.

Fixing Terrify and Desecrate is a big ordeal though:

Desecrate:

* Desecrate dealing with mods/oxygen means that it will always be a "necessary" frame for farming and Survival. I, and many others, don't like that. However, if DE are 100% intent on NEVER taking that away from Nekros, turning Desecrate into an aura that automatically cleans up corpses (with all its current functions) would a tremendous QoL change for the skill, no doubt about that. And making it into an aura could give it other utilities, directly or indirectly helping your minions.

* If Desecrate DOESN'T deal with mods/oxygen, then what else could it do? I suggested corpse explosions along with ammo+orb drops. Burnthesteak87's idea of forming some kind of cloud from the corpses sounds neat too, in particular if they had a bit of utility on them (like a moderate slowing effect etc). But making it do some form of heal feels slightly redundant considering the health orbs (which already have nice utility through Equilibrium)... Unless you change the skill completely (a la Archwizard's Soul Feast, which I wouldn't mind in place of Desecrate), but complete revamps should, imo, be kept at a minimum. Working with what is in the game is easier for the developers, revamps should only be done if NOTHING can save the skill. And besides orbs and ammo, some kind of damage or debuff effect from the corpses would be nice.

Terrify:

* Terrify at least causing a generic damage-taken-debuff seems fitting, the enemies being all scared and stuff. Not much else to say about that.

* The fact it causes enemies to run away is both good and bad. To save/revive teammates or protecting the pod, it's great. For generic CC, it's kind of aweful as it just makes enemies harder to hit. But rather than just making it another bland AoE-stun, or making it a generic slow aura (if that is what you meant?), is why I wanted it to remain with its fear niche but also with something else in it. And thus the idea to interact with corpses more. That way, you could potentially create a chain-stun of sorts (killing someone next to a terrified target causes it to cower. Killing THAT one can make other further away targets cower etc.). I thought that was an interesting idea at least. And the fact it would synergize tremendously with the suggested corpse-explosion of Desecrate is just a nice icing on the cake. Also, giving it this corpse-stun gives your Shadows some time and opportunity to attack the enemies.

I dislike most of it, especially the Desecrate idea 

you kill desecrate, you kill nekros.

If you take the mod drop rate off Nekros, you can say goodbye to anyone who plays him. 

I'm sick and tired of people with this outlook.

Do you people even know why Nekros was originally conceived? Because the players asked for a necromancer.

Yes, fine, presently his other three skills leave much to be desired, and Desecrate's loot generation is the best part of his arsenal. That doesn't mean that taking away the loot is the only change being asked for in threads like this (I doubt I'll ever see a straight-faced "Nerf Nekros" thread) - several threads, including this one, ask for him to use Viral procs (50% health damage, ignores armor, and you're shaking a stick at it?), fix and focus on his minion generation (damage that scales with the enemies you're fighting, rather than just a Chaos clone?), have more fluid CC from Terrify, get some AoE life draining, etc, all of which would be considered viable in the hands of any frame but more thematically appropriate in his hands.

A necromancer will be played, with or without you. The farmer we have should never have been made - at the very least not named Nekros or shaped like the Grim Reaper - and you know it.

Be glad that we're asking for the droprates to be compensated baseline.

Edited by Archwizard

Good ideas on the changes. Here are my ideas:

1. Soul Punch changed to Soul Bind. Nekros "marked" a target and if that target dies while still marked, it would spawn a phantom, like Shadows of the Dead. Nekros could do this to 3/4/5/6 targets.

2. Terrify modified into a toggle. Within the AoE, any enemy aggro-ing on Nekros will get a 50% chance proc of cowering in fear when they have a Line of Sight to Nekros. If the enemies were fighting others or aggro is shifted, they do not get procced. Cowering in fear is a 3-4 seconds of animation where they cannot fight back. So there's half a chance Nekros could shut down enemies targeting him if they're close and not hidden.

3. Much as I love Desecrate for farming, this should be changed so to not make Nekros a necessary component to Survival mode so the game mode should not balanced on that.  Desecrate should only spawn (but with higher chance) of Energy and Health orbs as well as ammo. Desecrate should be good for prolonging battle, not for farming.

4. Now this is the big change, Shadows of the Dead  is now redundant since Soul Bind is the same thing. This should be changed to Shadows of the Damned: Nekros spawns 3/4/5/6 copies of himself but only armed with an Ether Reaper so they're melee only. They have 90/110/130/150 percent health from Nekros' shield+health. If they die from damage (and not from timer running out), they explode dealing damage 200/300/400/500 percent of their health in an AoE not unlike Nova's Molecular Prime.

Just some ideas.

Good ideas on the changes. Here are my ideas:

1. Soul Punch changed to Soul Bind. Nekros "marked" a target and if that target dies while still marked, it would spawn a phantom, like Shadows of the Dead. Nekros could do this to 3/4/5/6 targets.

2. Terrify modified into a toggle. Within the AoE, any enemy aggro-ing on Nekros will get a 50% chance proc of cowering in fear when they have a Line of Sight to Nekros. If the enemies were fighting others or aggro is shifted, they do not get procced. Cowering in fear is a 3-4 seconds of animation where they cannot fight back. So there's half a chance Nekros could shut down enemies targeting him if they're close and not hidden.

3. Much as I love Desecrate for farming, this should be changed so to not make Nekros a necessary component to Survival mode so the game mode should not balanced on that.  Desecrate should only spawn (but with higher chance) of Energy and Health orbs as well as ammo. Desecrate should be good for prolonging battle, not for farming.

4. Now this is the big change, Shadows of the Dead  is now redundant since Soul Bind is the same thing. This should be changed to Shadows of the Damned: Nekros spawns 3/4/5/6 copies of himself but only armed with an Ether Reaper so they're melee only. They have 90/110/130/150 percent health from Nekros' shield+health. If they die from damage (and not from timer running out), they explode dealing damage 200/300/400/500 percent of their health in an AoE not unlike Nova's Molecular Prime.

Just some ideas.

Neat ideas. Comments:

Terrify being a fear aura is a neat idea, but relying on chance? Nah, we have enough RNG in this game :)

I particularly like your take on Soul Bind and SotD. Soul Bind could go with a Viral DoT too though. SotD needs to be much stronger... in fact, it gives me an idea for a further revamp:

SotD - Summons several (8/10/12/15?) invulnerable and very, very fast-moving ghost-like beings (nanite creations, no hocus pocus) which assault nearby enemies, damaging them and slowing down their speed. As they deal damage, they also heal allies (including your Soul Bind minions!) in an AoE around the ghosts, as well as Nekros, but he is healed no matter where he is in relation to the ghosts. So kind of like a lifestealer minion summoning of sorts. If anyone has played Dota 2, it's kinda like Death Prophet's ultimate Exorcism (but the healing done INSTANTLY as the ghosts attack, rather than when the ability ends)

This solves several things:

1) It doesn't make him rely on kills to be able to use it (Soul Bind is the one that instead is relying on killing enemies)

2) It gives him a way to slow down enemies running away from Terrify (although, Terrify could have a slow-effect instead)

3) Gives him durability and a team-supportive lifedrain, sustaining allies AND your Soul Bind minions!

4) Gives him a bit more control over who to attack, as the "ghosts" should have a bit of a leash-effect (but still a long range). Maybe target marking will make the ghosts focus down the marked target? >:)

Clarifying my idea on Terrify, I'd imagine it should work like this: while Terrify toggle is active, it works like sending a "pulse" every second or so. All enemies hit by this pulse (requires Line of Sight) goes through a check: do they aggro Nekros. If yes, then it goes to the random roll: if the roll passed, then they get hit with Terrified state. This could make Nekros go into melee while Terrify is active and potentially lock down half of the enemies in range while he can happily mow down a bunch of Grineer/Corpus pissing themselves.  The bane of this is, of course, robots who cannot get terrified.

Not having the RNG will make the ability too strong since it would be practically Radial Blind but as a toggle. Making it work not as a toggle and a one-hit pulse makes it exactly like Radial Blind. But even that is still preferable than the current sorry state.  If the ability is still deemed too strong, make it only works on "weak willed enemies", aka. lowly mooks and not higher status enemies like Bombard or Tech.

Another possibility is changing the Terrify ability into an AoE where immobile phantoms are summoned and causing aggro. Basically an immobile army of hissing ghosts terrifying the enemies so much they switched their previous targets to aggro these ghosts. It's like an immobile version of Hall of Mirrors but has no attack.  Or an army of Loki's Decoys.  It would be nice for defense or facing off against a lot of enemies since they might be targeting one of the phantoms instead of you or your teammates.  Although in this form, it's more about "illusion" than "necromancy".

Although a cool effect could be like this: Nekros hitting the Terrify power and summoned a bunch of flying, swirling ghosts like the ghosts in Raiders of the Lost Ark. They fly around in a specific radius and making enemies go nuts and shoot at them but they cannot be damaged as they are intangible.  And if the devs are willing to spend some coding time and effort, the ghosts could randomly "cling" to an enemy and make him flail around going "Get it off me! Get it off me!" and this would flag the sorry sod as if a hostile target (like an effect of Radiation proc) and make any friends of his fire at him and damage him.  But at this point, the ability would be better off renamed to something like "Poltergeist".  It would be a more fun and chaotic Chaos.

This is terrible. It ruins the one skill that makes him worth taking, and the other suggested skills aren't even balanced.

You probably mean desecrate, I think adding desecrate was a mistake in first place, A loot drop skill to a theme based on death >.>

Profiting from death fits perfectly, and it is what makes Nekros welcome on any team.

Making a sentance with death and connecting it to skill doesnt really make it fit.

Desecrate would fit a thief kind of warframe. Not death. How many players that would love "death theme" love being support?

Making a sentance with death and connecting it to skill doesnt really make it fit.

Desecrate would fit a thief kind of warframe. Not death. How many players that would love "death theme" love being support?

You are increasing the profit from their death.  It fits.  A thief would not fit that.  A thief theme would be more give to unlocking locked things, like lockers or vaults.

I think that buffing necros is a great idea.

For the moment he i the character that someone have to take, the short straw.

however, desocrating up mods and oxygen is one of the reasons that he is fun to play. it feels like u are doing more good in the team then just killing the enemy! so the idea of nurfing desocrate i think is terrible.

terrify i can agree with you, that it is affected by power strength sucks! big time! why can´t his terrify be equally strong as the spells of loki, nyx and excalibur (blind, chaos, disarm) in it´s own specific way. he still dosen´t deal damage.

that minions would drop from spell 1 ain´t a bad idea neither, BUT! necros can´t be to op. that the spell has viral proc is one think and he drops a minion is much more, that he affects a area or one targe that drops a soul when it dies is strong enough, even without the extra damage.

number 4 i don´t really have any more suggestions more then either buffing the souls OR make them last until they are dead (then it have to be recastable)