Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Even Use Stance Combos, Or Do You Just Spam E When Large Waves Arrive?

Demo102

The answer is obvious. This game doesn't encourage style or things difficult to do (stealth, combos, sniping). 

When things become serious, it's just a matter of spam. Especially in close combat. 

Prova + sundering weave.

Hold right click and spam E and you get an AoE spin plus a stun ground slam from innate electric dmg.

The only time i use pause-combos is when i have a galatine/scindo equipped and use the Cleaving Whirlwind stance. The main reason i dont use pause-combos is that the game tends to lag alot with bad hosts or too much enemies on the screen which makes comboing pretty much impossible. Also Top notch weapons like Dakra prime or Dual ichor work perfectly fine while spamming the E button so there is no reason to use specific combos.

Its all boiled down to melee combo is difficult to use. While the rest of the game only required you to just press or hold a button to attack, combo need precise timing especially the pause combo. In the heat of battle, timing your attack is a luxury that you can't affort. Best just change to two button combo style, much easier to pull off and also more satisfying.

Another point is that it's completely bullcrap that the "switch-to-melee"-button is a different one than "switch between mainhand/offhand gun"-button.

It's not, though. Tap the F key, switch between primary and secondary. Hold down the F key, swap from gun to melee or from melee back to previously-held gun.

I always use combos. I think the only time I don't is with the dual dagger stance I currently can't remember the name of.

Its combo is a bit too wonky and surprisingly slow. You're better off spamming E with it. Other than that particular stance, I use combos all the time.

Before Melee 2.0: Hold e, release e, hold e, release e...

After Melee 2.0: Hold RMB/s/w, go ham on e.

Melee 2.0 added nothing to the game but damage buffs.

Nah, there's alot of incentive to do the combos. Not just because they're stylish, but because many of them either add special effects like knockbacks/ragdolls/knockdowns/bleeds/etc and can also be room clearers depending on the stance/weapon. For instance, one of the whip stance's combo has you flinging it around in a huge arc. Not only does it hit very far, but it hits tons of enemies in a pretty nicely sized circle around you. Perfect for Infested. The "normal" whip attack has good range, but nowhere near its combo counterpart.

Edited by SoulEchelon

It's not, though. Tap the F key, switch between primary and secondary. Hold down the F key, swap from gun to melee or from melee back to previously-held gun.

Save yourself a step go in and change it in options then bind a key for melee. So much more simple to swap guns with F or instant pull melee with any other key, mines V

This is a real issue for me as well. I absolutely despise using pause combos as they are so tricky to pull off with the timing especially with either really slow or really fast weapons.

actually on properly modded venka I have issues to perform ANY OTHER combo than pause one :)

[involves smashing e button faster than I usually do :P]

and combos does different things - different combos on some attacks have different additional effects - like guaranteed proc. additional dmg etc. etc.

My main use of melee is quick-melee.

Unless I'm specifically built for and aiming to use melee, I'm always toting a gun, so stances are usually just to get a maxed Pressure Point on a new weapon.

That said:

Depends on the weapon/stance/enemies.

Sometimes.

Combo's are extremely dangereous in high levels. You dont have the luxury to wait for combo to continue.

Only way out i see is, changing the normal E E E E  combo's with the combo you want to use against the enemies without waiting. 

That would make it viable for me. Otherwise its not worth wasting time as the high level mobs are tend to deal damage like the freaking stalker.

Combo's are extremely dangereous in high levels. You dont have the luxury to wait for combo to continue.

Only way out i see is, changing the normal E E E E  combo's with the combo you want to use against the enemies without waiting. 

That would make it viable for me. Otherwise its not worth wasting time as the high level mobs are tend to deal damage like the freaking stalker.

Some combos totally worth it like the crimdos dervish becouse the insane damage multiplier and most stance has damage boost..

Save yourself a step go in and change it in options then bind a key for melee. So much more simple to swap guns with F or instant pull melee with any other key, mines V

I've considered that, but my keys around WASD are all taken already (C is crouch, V is ticked to pull up my codex scanner, B is too far away) and my fingers are already trained to use F as a combo key. The amount of time between "press" and "hold down" isn't really that long and I've got the timing down pretty well. Though now that I think about it, I've got melee on my mouse so I could probably use E. Hmm, I'll have to see how well that works.

for dual ichors, everytime if i can, but its hard to do when you have fury+critical chance+berserker+warcry on, with that mixture everything is out of my control, if it happens, it happens. Also i use pole arm combos, both have some uses, falling  branch have sweet crowd control abilities, while bleeding willow have quite fast pick different enemies combo. I try use them on all stances, but some of them arent that good even to stagger single enemies. Executing those aint hard for me, as ive played solid number of hack & slash games, heck might even be my most played genre in games (in terms of number of games of certain genre) so button combos are familar to me. I would called them rememberence of good times.

Dual ichors.

Once berzerk ticks on, the 7 hit combo is by default.

At that point, it became boring routine, because all you does is mashing a button. At least, you have to aim for your target with a gun

Exactly, for me, melee is just emergency weapon that let me take out enemy that got too close while my gun is reloading. To hell, if they expect me to rush to my target to do any damage regardless of how big the damage or the status combo can cause. It's all irrelevant when you had to risk yourself to get close to your target and then risk getting swam from all direction while you performing your combo.  It's almost suicidal when people trying to melee eximus group that would drain all your energy. 

Melee 2.0 is a big disappointment to me, because DE choose to make melee another mode, instead of incorporate to existing gun and run style. I had wait 1 sec to switch from melee to gun, after a while I just won't bother to wait for that. Gun all the way and a few quick slash here and there fit my playstyle 

most of the time i found jump kicking an enemy into the ground then do a finisher on it, works better than switching to melee, try to pull off a combo based on memorization while getting my &#! shot, and either get wrecked or successfully did the combo and vowed to never do that again