Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Anyone Even Use Stance Combos, Or Do You Just Spam E When Large Waves Arrive?

Demo102

With everything said I think the combos will be more viable to use in higher level waves if

>Combos are much easier to pull off (hold block etc)

>Do not put in pauses in combos it ruins your timing.

>If such change is to be made allow players to switch between the old and the new(If there will be one) so no complaints can be made.

I personally don't use melee on higher leveled enemies at all, I'm mostly running dual ichors and if I see a 45+ heavy gunner I rather shoot him then get anywhere close, melee for me is only used for grunts.

I just spam E as I cant time pauses in many laggy games anyway and I mix up my loadouts often and the timing changes per weapon and I never acquire a "feel" for it as there is no feedback in the flurry of animations.

And there is no quick fire from melee as there is quick melee from firing. I think I remember them wanting that. But who knows when that will ever be added.

Some combos totally worth it like the crimdos dervish becouse the insane damage multiplier and most stance has damage boost..

Yes im not counting out their damage boosts but on high levels its just not that viable. Melee mode activation takes long, trying to get that damage boost with lets say E E hold E EEE hold E is a complate waste of time. Lets asume we're up against a crazy high level eximus or something. There is no way out you can pull out your melee weapon as an emergency backup plan if you are not using that deflection mod or something. Even if you wait the thing to run out of ammo is going to cost you dearly because no enemy is alone when they are attacking you and just one bullet on high levels can kill you.

IF melee is going to be viable, every hit should stun the target. That way we can save ourself from atleast the ancient thats slapping us and draining our energy. I am aware of the fact that im presenting my second idea but i am sure a lot of players can relate why im saying this.

what's a combo?? This isn't ninja gaiden.

No, but really, I don't find much, if any, use for them when I play. If I need aoe from a knockdown-based weapon, ill just jump very lightly and smash the floor. No need for combo, you get the knockdown on FIRST hit AND they won't be shooting at you while you melee them AND you can do a finisher when they're down. 

I tried different stances and combos but since this game is meant to be played fast, parry is not skillbased, and combat is not as technical as, for example ninja gaiden, I found combos to be unnecessary. 

"But the dakra 300% combo blah blah blah!" you say. Well, yeah, you still get it by mashing e and on top of that, I found it quite boring since it's still not very skill-based.

It's not, though. Tap the F key, switch between primary and secondary. Hold down the F key, swap from gun to melee or from melee back to previously-held gun.

I don't use the F key to switch weapons. I use the mousewheel up/down to do that because I've pretty much adapted to that scheme from nearly every other modern shooter out there.

I'd be pretty astonished to see someone being able to trigger the "hold down"-effect while scrolling the mousewheel up/down.

So gentlemen... That's why any good game absolutely never uses a "hold down" for something mandatory like weapon switching because it friggin sucks when it comes to keybinding to the mousehwheel and also that annoying switching-delay and just shows that whoever implemented it in this asinine way hasn't played anything like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament or any other fast paced shooter at all. Or made it work this crappy on purpose just because the programmer thought he'd be cutting-edge when doing it this way. Let me assure you it is NOT. Not at all.

There's just nothing like bad input controls to upset me about a game. I can stand a bazillion of bugs and crashes and balance problems and sh*t but when the basic inputs are busted then my limit is reached. ^^

Edited by MeduSalem

...and just shows that whoever implemented it in this asinine way hasn't played anything like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament or any other fast paced shooter at all. Or made it work this crappy on purpose just because the programmer thought he'd be cutting-edge when doing it this way. Let me assure you it is NOT. Not at all.

Fun fact: DE made Unreal Tournament. Just saying.

FWIW, the control options allow a custom key to be bound to "Switch Gun" and "Equip Melee" and, by default, Mousewheel Up and Mousewheel Down scroll through frame powers. Don't see why you couldn't remap that so, say, Mousewheel Up is "Switch Gun" and Mousewheel Down is "Equip Melee".

Fun fact: DE made Unreal Tournament. Just saying.

FWIW, the control options allow a custom key to be bound to "Switch Gun" and "Equip Melee" and, by default, Mousewheel Up and Mousewheel Down scroll through frame powers. Don't see why you couldn't remap that so, say, Mousewheel Up is "Switch Gun" and Mousewheel Down is "Equip Melee".

The Unreal franchise is a co-development between Epic Games and DE (among some other minor studios as well as community created content here and there)... But when I look what DE's Bonuspacks brought for UT2003/4 back then I think they had little to do with the games engine programming/scripting rather than doing all the mapping for levels and character modelling for Epic. So they were probably involved in the more "artistic" side of development.

That said I might be wrong about the exact distribution of workload but I highly doubt that the same programmer/scriptwriter who did the input controls and keybindings for the UT series did also do the keybindings for Warframe. No matter what, it might have been a better idea if they adapted UT's control scheme because that's what made that franchise great rather than DE reinventing the wheel from scratch, especially when they were involved in such a great title. Warframe is a great artistic title on its own but the controls are nothing to be proud of in particular. ^^

[Edit] Seems like there's an official description on who took which role during UT2004 development on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_2004#Development

There's no detailed information on UT2003 and UT99 though, but I think it might be a similar distribution.[/edit]

The even more funny fact is that Dark Sector and thereby also Warframe in the earliest thoughts started out as spiritual successor to the Unreal franchise. The fact why I'm here actually.

Welp, I also did that remapping back with U13 already. Was one of the first things I complained about in the U13 Melee 2.0 Feedback Megathread. Still feels a little awkward though because normally I expect to be able to scroll through the entire weapon arsenal wethether Im scrolling up OR down.

Also I made it exactly the other way around... I use Mousewheel Down to "Switch Gun" and Mousewheel Up to "Equip Melee" because I feel more comfortable that way... Somehow I'm more used to "scrolling down" than "scrolling up"... the same way I'm more used to switch between guns rather than to the melee weapon. Still feels a bit awkward sometimes though because I often end up with the thought that if I scroll down once more it will switch to the third weapon in line (the melee weapon), which it doesn't of course.

Edited by MeduSalem