Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Desecrate

Dhiib

so we all know, playing nekros, 90% of the time is spent spamming desecrate.

if desecrate had a mechanic similar to embers world on fire, nekros would be alot more fun with alot more freedom.

what i imagine is: after activation several ghostly phantoms swirling around you up to the range similar to what desecrate's range is now for 30 seconds for example, seeking out for corpses to touch and desecrate.

power strength could affect the number of phantoms, similar to the shadows of the dead, making it more efefctive at large numbers of dead enemies.

this way desecrate would synergize way better with the other abilities of nekros and make it more than a 1-button-frame.

You don't need to play Nerkos as a desecrate only frame.   When not running survival or farming for something.  I boost strength and duration for more shadows that stick around longer.  While also being Melee heavy till I need to start keeping my distance.  Don't let others force you to play a way you don't want too.

I will agree that Desecrate needs some tweeks, maybe a way to boost change of items dropping from corpses or something.  But other then that.  Play your nerkos how you want to play.  You'll come to enjoy the game so much more :3

Edited by Tveoh

While you would spent less time in the casting animation, I think most people would consider this a big nerf unless it was a guaranteed drop. Right now desecrate works instantly on all corpses in range, with your method we'd have to wait for phantoms to seek out corpses one by one; if its not instant effect on everything in range, you're going to have a lower rate because of corpses disappearing before they got a chance to reach them. Making it strength dependant means a hit to your range if you want to keep the number of these phantoms high enough to deal with large numbers of corpses. Right now it synergizes better with other skills because things like duration and strength simply don't affect desecrate, adding them in means a more complicated build with less maximum potential.

Edited by Elvang

i do like to play a pure desecrate nekros. i actually have spent several hundred hours doing so. was just dreaming about a less repetitive way^^

I think most people would consider this a big nerf unless it was a guaranteed drop.

that would be a matter of balancing. number of phantoms. speed. dropchance etc.

i wouldnt mind it a little less effective if i would be less forced to sit on the casting animation of the old desecrate and instead shoot more or cast other spells.

You don't need to play Nerkos as a desecrate only frame.   When not running survival or farming for something.  I boost strength and duration for more shadows that stick around longer.  While also being Melee heavy till I need to start keeping my distance.  Don't let others force you to play a way you don't want too.

I will agree that Desecrate needs some tweeks, maybe a way to boost change of items dropping from corpses or something.  But other then that.  Play your nerkos how you want to play.  You'll come to enjoy the game so much more :3

Basically this^^

IMO-The main problem with the desecrate thing is that many people build full range builds on desecrate-ie put overextend on Nekros.

This is bad because it's limiting you to one ability, since terrify and shadows require some power strength. By adding those two abilities, you are able to support your team more since you'll be summoning 7+ clones at a time and terrify will do CC that is almost on par with nyx's chaos.

I recommend doing something like:

Fleeting/Streamline/Intensify/Health mod/Natural Talent/Stretch/Equilibrium or Rage

Terrify/Desecrate/Shadows

See Calpysogaming via youtube, i found his build really fun to play.

My old build was a pure desecrate build, and I hated it, and also in a survival, a pure range desecrate would get shot down easily unless s/he was in some safe spot. By using the other two abilities, he was a lot more enjoyable and survivable.

It's all a matter of efficiency, since most his skills are naturally long lasting adding a continuity and a level 4 fleeting is still enough time. The biggest problem is the RNG factor in the whole thing. It takes way too long and spamming is required. There should be an desecrate aura that requires him to sit there for a second or two.

Or give it more utility and make every desecrated body explode and hurt enemies.

so we all know, playing nekros, 90% of the time is spent spamming desecrate.
if desecrate had a mechanic similar to embers world on fire, nekros would be alot more fun with alot more freedom.
what i imagine is: after activation several ghostly phantoms swirling around you up to the range similar to what desecrate's range is now for 30 seconds for example, seeking out for corpses to touch and desecrate.
power strength could affect the number of phantoms, similar to the shadows of the dead, making it more efefctive at large numbers of dead enemies.
this way desecrate would synergize way better with the other abilities of nekros and make it more than a 1-button-frame.

This is, and will always remain, a pointless argument.

People use Desecrate because they want extra drops. No one is going to care if you show up as a Nekro and DONT Desecrate, because people show up with OTHER classes and those can't cast Desecrate anyway.

You are only meant to cast that non stop when you get mates together and decide in advance that it will be a farming run, you are playing YOUR Frame, you play it anyway YOU want.

What next? Complain when Excalibur does not Radial Blind? It's a coop game, who cares who does what, half the time I don't even notice.

I would like to try a toggleable and channelled version of Desecrate:

25 energy (-5 energy/sec)

Strength =

8 / 12 / 14 / 16 (corpses converted to Health Orbs)

20% / 30% / 40% / 50% (chance to spawn Energy Orb)

60% / 70% / 80% / 90% (chance to roll drop table again)

Range = 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 m

Duration = N/A

- When Desecrate is toggled on, 8 / 12 / 14 / 16 corpses in range of Nekros are converted into Health Orbs.

- This gives 200 / 300 / 350 / 400 health, since each Health Orb gives 25 energy.

- Desecrate is an aura that follows Nekros as long as he can channel energy.

- Enemies within the aura, when killed by Nekros, have a 20% / 30% / 40% / 50% chance to have their corpses converted into an Energy Orb.

- All enemies killed within the aura have a 60% / 70% / 80% / 90% chance to roll drop tables again.

With this version, Nekros has the incentive to actively participate in combat to replenish his draining energy pool. Desecrate as an aura allows Nekros to keep on the move. When the team needs health, Nekros can toggle Desecrate on and off to convert bodies into Health Orbs. All in all, less reason to stay near the dead, and more reason to reap the living!

Edited by PsiWarp

In all seriousness, you don't need to desecrate EVERY. SINGLE. BODY. until you can't desecrate anymore. As long as you use it 2 or 3 times to get most of the bodies, or single out specific bodies if you are farming something rare, then you are a grade A farming Nekros. Gold star for you! If you don't feel like farming with your nekros then you're free to run around raising the dead and terrifying everything... go nuts. Hell, have another gold star! (just warn your team if it's survival, or something where desecrate might be expected).

I don't mean to be "that guy" here but Desecrate is fine the way it is. You could actually argue that it's OP. It doubles or even triples drops (when mobs are bisected) and it gives you an almost guaranteed HP orb. Really think about that for a second, it gives you 1 or 2 bonus kills per enemy, plus HP, just for pressing 3 a few times. For an ability that ridiculously good being a little boring is a fair trade.

Edited by HypnoCircle

good being a little boring is a fair trade.

Boring for  profit isn't good in a game ,  it turns it into a job -  and the most important thing in  a game is ; is it fun . 

Honestly make it a aura ie -  turbulence , WoF  . So the necro is running and shooting  not pressing 3 , hundreds of times  -  say make desecrate have a 1- min duration  so in a 20 min survival - he only has to press it 20 times , and not over 500*

* personally seen a count of  564 abilitys used in a 20 min void sur by a necro  

Edited by Ravel7

I like desecrate on my Nekros.

It generates health orbs which gives me energy and health (with equilibrium).

And in return, with quick thinking and flow, my health and energy are one.

It's a survival tool. I was the last man standing in a recent 55 minute T4 survival. Made it to extraction when the Rhinos' and mirages were getting roasted by heavy gunners.

As long as you use it 2 or 3 times to get most of the bodies, or single out specific bodies if you are farming something rare, then you are a grade A farming Nekros. Gold star for you!

I tend to run bisect-happy melee weapons, and use them on everything I possibly can, especially enemies with rare mods (re: dervish, jagged edge, contagious, vor, etc, ignoring recent events) and the exploding runners which leave no corpse otherwise.

I run max efficiency, cast speed, and tend to have hundreds of desecrate uses in a mission while still having a significant portion of kills.

Do I get a platinum star for being S rank?

It's a survival tool. I was the last man standing in a recent 55 minute T4 survival. Made it to extraction when the Rhinos' and mirages were getting roasted by heavy gunners.

I call bull on that, by 50 minutes the enemies are 80+ (plus tier 4 damage bonus) and even using vitality 10/quick thinking 5/rage 5/flow 5, a single salvo from a lancer would instagib my nekros.

By that point I had to be highly tactical and crouch sneak around to avoid drawing enemy attention, my extra 720 health from quick thinking meant little.

Even going total tank nekros with redirection 10/vigor 5/other nonsense would've only made one lancer almost incapable of bursting me down with dead-accurate fire, nevermind there being other lancers or god forbid a heavy gunner/fusion moa.

Rhino/mirage in reality have almost no durability in high level tier 4, much like you, so either fear was involved, or evasion.

Or you were a helicopter, which isn't really nekros at all.

Edited by Nayru

Whilst I'm not going to claim there is a correct way to fix Desecrate; I am going to claim that Desecrate is a boring ability and should be looked at.

Nekros' main appeal is to be brought along to survival missions where he Desecrates fallen enemies to spawn more life support capsules. This in of itself is not bad; however the implementation is not the best. Nekros repeatedly has to cast his skill, preferably out of the line of fire of other units. The casting is slow, and often people only build into said ability, which doesn't leave a lot of room for modding in and for other abilities. This leaves a Nekros player in Survival pretty much just the "Mule" of the game, whilst the other players get to have as much fun as they can.

TLDR; Nekros' Desecrate is repetitive, ability should be changed to not be boring.

I tend to run bisect-happy melee weapons, and use them on everything I possibly can, especially enemies with rare mods (re: dervish, jagged edge, contagious, vor, etc, ignoring recent events) and the exploding runners which leave no corpse otherwise.

I run max efficiency, cast speed, and tend to have hundreds of desecrate uses in a mission while still having a significant portion of kills.

Do I get a platinum star for being S rank?

I call bull on that, by 50 minutes the enemies are 80+ (plus tier 4 damage bonus) and even using vitality 10/quick thinking 5/rage 5/flow 5, a single salvo from a lancer would instagib my nekros.

By that point I had to be highly tactical and crouch sneak around to avoid drawing enemy attention, my extra 720 health from quick thinking meant little.

Even going total tank nekros with redirection 10/vigor 5/other nonsense would've only made one lancer almost incapable of bursting me down with dead-accurate fire, nevermind there being other lancers or god forbid a heavy gunner/fusion moa.

Rhino/mirage in reality have almost no durability in high level tier 4, much like you, so either fear was involved, or evasion.

Or you were a helicopter, which isn't really nekros at all.

I presume you have not played with the newly buffed Quick Thinking, have you?

In the pug scene, with 3 other Tenno doing random things affecting spawn rates,  Desecrate is essential if you want to survive longer than 10min in survival consistently right now. Basically it forces you to spend a great deal of ur time spamming a button instead of actively trying to kill stuff. The rest of the time you're running around-often trying to keep up with the group.

It's so not fun.  Doing a wold on fire type change to it (continuously applies desecrate for a duration) would fix the tedious game play but remove the immersion of desecrating these mobs here which you just killed.

My suggestion:

Ability change goals: shift desecrate away from an ability solely for acquiring desirable rare resources and minimize the time taken so that you can get back into combat.

Make the chance to desecrate 100% (optional: cut the drop chance of getting useful stuff down to 50% from 90%). Successive desecrates (within last 10-20 sec) could speed up desecrate casting.  Optional: Desecrating bodies buffs the Necros (fairly minor) for each body desecrated (provides a running, melee'ing, or casting speed buff) for 10-20sec. **Finally, fix survival to be pug friendly the first 40 min w/o often requiring a Nekros spaming desecrate so that the group acquires enough life support.  

There are many ways to accomplish my issues with practically requiring Nekros for a pug survival w/o affecting endgame too much and not messing specifically with the spawning of enemies.  Using functions that determines likelihood of life support module spawning is one way. There are more complicated mathematical models but here's a  simpler one that doesn't require too much of a sophisticated  feed back loop or in-depth analysis. Ls[t] = f[t]*g[t].  f[t] increases with time since the last life support module has spawned (it approaches a value of 1 when time since last ls module is significant) while g[t] starts at 100% and decreases as t approaches 40 min. Ls[t] basically provides a bonus chance a mob will drop LS when enemy spawning is bogus but does nothing to current system beyond 40 min or when life support modules are spawning more appropriately. 

We talkign about descrate, I say increase the base skill speed or buff it when useing natural talent since any nekros player is force to use natrual talent just to be able to balcne the skills and spamming descrate...

I do agree descrate needs 100% sucess rate, since we are trying to constaly use descrate and no matter if you got energy sphion or energy recharge we still get the hard we can't descrate without energy problem.

I actually rather like Desecrate with its current purpose, and not just because of additional loot, but the health and ammo drops too. Especially the ammo, honestly.

The biggest problem with Desecrate, in my opinion, is the fact that maximizing it is in direct conflict with his other abilities. Modding for a Maximized Desecrate absolutely ruins his other abilities, thanks to Fleeting Expertise and Overextended. So my suggestion would be to make Desecrate be affected by power strength mods. This would fix numerous problems with how Desecrate works currently. First, it would allow building so that spamming Desecrate is less necessary, by boosting its success chance with power strength mods, even up to 100% with enough strength. Second, it would eliminate the effective mutual exclusivity between his abilities in optimized builds. Third, it would bring actual choice into how to build for desecrate and make corrupted mods less of a clear-cut yes or no in such builds.

This would greatly increase Nekros's build depth, in turn making him much more interesting to use. His other abilities could use some tweaks as well, such as removing the target cap on Terrify, but adding power strength to Desecrate would significantly help.