Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Dark Sector Be Warframe's Origin Story?

S.T.M.P.D

I guess I know nothing, but reading the wiki page, Dark Sector really doesn't seem to have that much of an engaging story, or really anything to motivate someone to play the game besides Warframe die-hards.

DE had a good idea, and 2K said "Make it a Gears of War clone." So we're stuck with a hackneyed adventure through monochromia, instead of a detailed sci-fi game like we really deserve.

So... Should we call DS canon? You know, just for the sake of the story so DE can move beyond one of their worst nightmares, those days when they lived in the shadow of 2K, unable to be their own devs?

I just want to hear what you guys think.

No. Dark sectors are a joke. Unless you want the story of warframe to be the same clan with a monopoly be the bad guys and the small clans form an alliance and take them on in the end but LOSE and they still keep their monopoly. THE END.

And so ends the story of the person who didn't read the post. -_-

Edited by Rakshal

I'm pretty sure the Devs already stated that Dark Sector was canon and that Hayden Tenno was the first Tenno

No. Dark sectors are a joke. Unless you want the story of warframe to be the same clan with a monopoly be the bad guys and the small clans form an alliance and take them on in the end but LOSE and they still keep their monopoly. THE END.

Dark Sector is a game made by DE, and it's stated to be the predecessor if Warframe. :l

And so ends the story of the person who didn't read the post. -_-

xD

Some of DS is canon to WF, but not in a way that makes them directly attached story-wise. It's more like the games are two separate universes, but both include connection to the same basic guy/background.

On a side note, WF was what DS would of been if DE had their way. (I say "was" because let's face it, this game has evolved so much from the original concept.)

Some of DS is canon to WF, but not in a way that makes them directly attached story-wise. It's more like the games are two separate universes, but both include connection to the same basic guy/background.

On a side note, WF was what DS would of been if DE had their way. (I say "was" because let's face it, this game has evolved so much from the original concept.)

I thought the story went more like; They were going to make warframe, but thought it wouldn't be popular because it would get thrown in the same ballpark as CoD and Battlefield, so they turned it into Dark Sectors and waited awhile.

Am I wrong?

Edited by Sovamorne

I treat it as more of a spiritual sequel. There's too much in between the two games to say that DS is a prequel, although it'd be even stupider to say the two games weren't connected somehow.

DE has stated that the two games are unrelated, and now they say they are. Until the lore is set in stone (lol), I wouldn't jump one way or the other.

I thought the story went more like; They were going to make warframe, but thought it wouldn't be popular because it would get thrown in the same ballpark as CoD and Battlefield, so they turned it into Dark Sectors and waited awhile.

Am I wrong?

You are sort of right.

What happened was the original game was a sci-fi stealth action game with a similar aesthetic to Warframe. Publishers didn't like the concept and tried to get DE to make various other things instead (CoD clone, B&W Gangster game etc) and eventually they managed to talk some into the cover shooter zombie game we all know and love/loath. 

Dark Sector...The game.

I,m a warload in a clan with two sola rails one made one not made all i have do next is make 3 rooms in tower defence befor i can deploy them.

The more i read about DS i think i will not be using any more resource as its just shovelware on my screen.

So another person failed to read?

Again - it's not is it or isn't it.

It's IN ORDER TO PRESERVE STORY QUALITY WITHIN THE WARFRAME UNIVERSE, SHOULD POOR OLD DARK SECTOR REALLY BE COUNTED AS CANON, OR SHOULDN'T IT, SO DE CAN ESTABLISH WHATEVER CANON THEY WANT FOR THE ORIGIN OF THE OROKIN AND THE TENNO.

Once again, I THINK WARFRAME'S STORY HAS GREAT POTENTIAL AND I SEE DARK SECTOR AS MARRING THAT, BINDING DE TO OLD OUTDATED THINGS THEY'D RATHER MOVE ON FROM. DO YOU AGREE? YES, OR NO?

ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT DARK SECTORS THE GAME FEATURE, IT'S ABOUT THE LAST-GEN LAUNCH TITLE BY DIGITAL EXTREMES THAT WAS WARPED AT THE DEMANDS OF HIGHER-UPS FROM A GAME THAT PRETTY MUCH WAS WARFRAME TO SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT, AND ALSO GENERALLY NOT THAT GREAT. THIS IS NOT ABOUT FACTS, IT'S ABOUT OPINIONS.

I'm sorry. Just... Kinda wanted to stay on topic here.

close but wrong. They are both the same universe but warframe takes place hundreds/thousands of years into the future compared to dark sector

Again - it's not is it or isn't it.

It's IN ORDER TO PRESERVE STORY QUALITY WITHIN THE WARFRAME UNIVERSE, SHOULD POOR OLD DARK SECTOR REALLY BE COUNTED AS CANON, OR SHOULDN'T IT, SO DE CAN ESTABLISH WHATEVER CANON THEY WANT FOR THE ORIGIN OF THE OROKIN AND THE TENNO.

Once again, I THINK WARFRAME'S STORY HAS GREAT POTENTIAL AND I SEE DARK SECTOR AS MARRING THAT, BINDING DE TO OLD OUTDATED THINGS THEY'D RATHER MOVE ON FROM. DO YOU AGREE? YES, OR NO?

ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT DARK SECTORS THE GAME FEATURE, IT'S ABOUT THE LAST-GEN LAUNCH TITLE BY DIGITAL EXTREMES THAT WAS WARPED AT THE DEMANDS OF HIGHER-UPS FROM A GAME THAT PRETTY MUCH WAS WARFRAME TO SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT, AND ALSO GENERALLY NOT THAT GREAT. THIS IS NOT ABOUT FACTS, IT'S ABOUT OPINIONS.

I'm sorry. Just... Kinda wanted to stay on topic here.

the question has already been answered because DE said, as many people told you here, that dark sector IS cannon and took place hundreds/thousands of years in warframes past. Its cannon in the sense of a point of origin for what eventually became todays warframe though there is a vast expsanse of silent time between the two that DE can fill with lore and background.