Heat Sword And Ancients.

nanogenesis

Question

So, I have

Sundering Strike at 90% 

Fire dmg at 90%

Melee Dmg at 42%

Ice at 60%

on my heat sword, and I saw that I was scratching ancients with 10 & 5 dmg. What the hell. Has the heat sword been nerfed even more to the point where armor piercing doesn't work against ancients?

Ahh how I remember the time when it had 1.5 fire rate.

still using normal attacks ? mahahahahah

Charge attacks are your bread and butter now.

1.3 + 60% fury = 2.08.

2.08 slices per second.

35 x 1.42 = 49.7

49x2 = 98

Sundering strike = 98x0.9 = 88.2

Now if ap still acts as a base 1.5 multiplier, ap = 132.3

So every 1s I can do 98/264dmg.

Charge takes up 1.5s to load and can be interrupted.

75 + 150% = 187.5 which is totally unreliable and might never connect, and with swift slicing I can crit/stagger first rather than charge.

Don't tell others how to play.

1.3 + 60% fury = 2.08.

2.08 slices per second.

35 x 1.42 = 49.7

49x2 = 98

Sundering strike = 98x0.9 = 88.2

Now if ap still acts as a base 1.5 multiplier, ap = 132.3

So every 1s I can do 98/264dmg.

Charge takes up 1.5s to load and can be interrupted.

75 + 150% = 187.5 which is totally unreliable and might never connect, and with swift slicing I can crit/stagger first rather than charge.

Don't tell others how to play.

Charge attacks ignore armor :|

Charge attacks ignore armor :|

So does Sundering Strike.

Anyone plays his own way. Charge can do more damage in single hit, but normal hits faster and may keep you alive for longer.

This is my opinion since i play with FANG

So does Sundering Strike.

Anyone plays his own way. Charge can do more damage in single hit, but normal hits faster and may keep you alive for longer.

This is my opinion since i play with FANG

Sundering strike adds additional damage that ignores armor.  Even if you have it on, a charge attack will still deal a lot more damage than a normal one if the weapon doesn't have innate armor piercing.

Putting sundering strike on a fang is a waste of time since it has innate armor ignore and there are mods that add more damage or more helpful effects.

Playstyle is just an excuse people use to handicap themselves because they don't understand how to mod properly.  There's no way to get around the fact that there will always be a most effective build and useage for every weapon.

Edited by Aggh

Playstyle is just an excuse people use to handicap themselves because they don't understand how to mod properly.  There's no way to get around the fact that there will always be a most effective build and useage for every weapon.

Seems interesting. Not quite what I agree on. If everyone plays it the easiest way or the best way, then where is the fun in that? Better mod it and hack it how you want it. I play jumping Furax like a boss btw.

Seems interesting. Not quite what I agree on. If everyone plays it the easiest way or the best way, then where is the fun in that? Better mod it and hack it how you want it. I play jumping Furax like a boss btw.

The appeal to many players is FINDING the "best way."  Its really just an engineering problem on a multi-dimensional grid.

Aren't Ancients resistant to damage unless you shoot at their legs?

my dual ethers and hek laugh at this thread.

it is kind of weird that OP is doing S#&$ damage with AP mods, does this still happen?

Edited by McCrabby

Sundering strike adds additional damage that ignores armor.  Even if you have it on, a charge attack will still deal a lot more damage than a normal one if the weapon doesn't have innate armor piercing.

Putting sundering strike on a fang is a waste of time since it has innate armor ignore and there are mods that add more damage or more helpful effects.

Okay, I'll bite: why would you think Sundering Strike is a "waste of time" on a Fang? It adds its damage regardless of the weapon ignoring armor or not, and it's more damage:power efficient than other elements for melee.

Okay, I'll bite: why would you think Sundering Strike is a "waste of time" on a Fang? It adds its damage regardless of the weapon ignoring armor or not, and it's more damage:power efficient than other elements for melee.

Because any of the elementals are better, especially electric and frost since the fangs don't stun.

Edited by Aggh

Because any of the elementals are better, especially electric and frost since the fangs don't stun.

Stunning an enemy that is basically helpless in melee range (corpus crewmen) as it is hardly worth the energy cost unless it's already potatoed (in which case there's no excuse to not have sundering strike on). Especially since lightning damage scales like complete garbage on melee if you actually rank it up, so it's your choice if you want 75% AP damage or 5% elec that offers a benefit better saved for actual guns, all for the same exact cost.

Granted, I would assume if you were serious about using a normal swing damage weapon anyway, you'd be potatoing it because they need all the help they can get to keep up.

Stunning an enemy that is basically helpless in melee range (corpus crewmen) as it is hardly worth the energy cost unless it's already potatoed (in which case there's no excuse to not have sundering strike on). Especially since lightning damage scales like complete garbage on melee if you actually rank it up, so it's your choice if you want 75% AP damage or 5% elec that offers a benefit better saved for actual guns, all for the same exact cost.

Granted, I would assume if you were serious about using a normal swing damage weapon anyway, you'd be potatoing it because they need all the help they can get to keep up.

If you're using fang on corpus, you're doing it wrong.   Just about any melee weapon is better.  It's only worth it vs grineer because of the innate armor piercing and extra damage.

Edited by Aggh

Deal with it the normal melee attack sucks the current "Meta" is charging attacks even with a Dual Zoren.

The appeal to many players is FINDING the "best way."  Its really just an engineering problem on a multi-dimensional grid.

off topic:

I dunno is a fetich of my to find the most effective way to do something... or is just natural in everyone.

If you're using fang on corpus, you're doing it wrong.   Just about any melee weapon is better.  It's only worth it vs grineer because of the innate armor piercing and extra damage.

The amount of wrongness in this thread is hilarous.

PD: OH MY GOD STOP SAYING AP = ARMOR IGNORING PLZ...... STOP CONFUSING PEOPLE.

Edited by Dasmir

So wait, electricity is good for the stun (and worth using over sundering strike) except you shouldn't use it on the enemies it stuns?

I mean I'm not exactly crazy here since I even double checked with a friend who uses a fang with elec mods and it certainly doesn't stun Grineer.

So wait, electricity is good for the stun (and worth using over sundering strike) except you shouldn't use it on the enemies it stuns?

I mean I'm not exactly crazy here since I even double checked with a friend who uses a fang with elec mods and it certainly doesn't stun Grineer.

Electricic stuns everything.  I've run it on multiple melee weapons and it's done it every time.  They just stand there with electricity running along them with their arms in the air.  Only the infested are resistant to electricity.

Electricic stuns everything.  I've run it on multiple melee weapons and it's done it every time.  They just stand there with electricity running along them with their arms in the air.  Only the infested are resistant to electricity.

I literally just had a friend melee a few dozen Grineer to death with Fangs using nothing but fury/electricity and not a single one was stunned. Maybe you're thinking of the death animation.

off topic:

I dunno is a fetich of my to find the most effective way to do something... or is just natural in everyone.

PD: OH MY GOD STOP SAYING AP = ARMOR IGNORING PLZ...... STOP CONFUSING PEOPLE.

Unfortunately, I dont think its a common drive to all people.

Also -- listen to this man -- Armor Ignore =/= Armor Penetration.  AP is an element that grineer are weak to, Armor Ignore is a property of how a weapon deals damage.

Trying to drag this back on track

Normal attacks dont ignore armor, except with Fang and Dual Ether. [Edit: And Fragor, thanks Puritas +1]

Heat Sword = 35 base dmg *1.42 = 49.7 (call it 50) modified damage per hit

90% Sundering Strike = 45 AP damage

90% Molten Impact = 45 Fire damage

60% Frozen Wind = 30 Cold damage

Now body hits on Ancients follow the formula (wherin the values in parenthesis is the headshot damage).
Body=normal damage*(75% – 1%/lvl) / 3, AP= (200%)/2, Fire = (75% – .5%/lvl)/2, Freeze = (50% – 1.5%/lvl)/2, lightning = ZERO

Sooo what level are the Ancients you're hitting? Assuming lvl 20...

Normal Damage = 50*18.3% = 9.2 Normal Damage

AP Damage = 45*100% = 45 AP damage

Fire Damage = 45*32.5% = 14.7 Fire Damage

Cold Damage = 30*20% = 6 Cold Damage

So when you hit a lvl 20 ancient with your setup you should see 4 numbers appear, for a damage total of 75 damage per hit

Now a charged attack ignores armor. So switching pressure point for the comparable +100% charge damage gives;

Base charge = 150, Ap = 135, Fire = 135, Cold = 90

Charge Damage = 150 Damage

AP Damage = 135 damage

Fire Damage = 43.9 damage

Cold Damage = 18 damage

So a total of 347 damage per charged attack.

In other words you have to hit the ancient 4-5 times to deal damage equal to one charged attack.

Edited by Darzk

Argh, yes, how about "Normal attacks from slashing weapons don't ignore armor; normal attacks from blunt and piercing weapons do."

... Except for Dual Ether. And the Ether Daggers don't ignore...

Oh **** off DE.

Did you also happen to have a fire mod on?

Fire damage causes a panic (like a stun) when used on Grineer. Electricity only stuns Corpus Crewmen, and deals double damage to robotics.

But since the melee electric mod (shocking touch) only adds about 60% damage with a maxed mod vs a robot, and 30% vs anything else, the return you get for the mod points you spend on the electric mod is kind of worthless.

AP, on the other hand, is useful for EVERYTHING, and it deals 90% of normal damage that IS NOT REDUCED, unlike other elemental damage mods.