Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where's All The Zephy Love?

HalfDarkShadow

-Snip-

I don't know what the other skills do. But I have to assume they are as useless as the first two. This was my first impression. Figured I would write it out in hopes that the developers might see a need to change some things. Glad this was not a starter frame. 

Zephyr isn't a damage frame. This is a good thing as you will rapidly find out that damage abilities not named Bladestorm, Molecular Prime, or Anti-Matter Drop do worse than nothing as enemy levels increase. Tailwind is probably the best mobility skill in the game. It's a better version of slash dash and super jump packaged into one ability. Dive bomb is admittedly pretty bad unless you have heavy impact. Turbulence is fantastic. It's effectively a snow globe with infinite health that moves with you and doesn't block ally fire. Hypothetically it's possible to be hit by hitscan weapons. In practice I've stood in front of corrupted heavy gunners for minutes at a time without taking a single hit. It even works against the Stalker. She has one of the game's few remaining god modes, and unlike Hydroid's trollpool and Valkyr's hysteria you still get to shoot guns and mobility skills.

TLDR Zephyr is both the most mobile frame in the game and one of the tankiest.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Hello there,

So I pretty much main Zephyr, and the other day, I ran into another Zephyr player during an alert mission. At some point he mentioned how he hasn't seen another Zephyr player in a while, which made me realize he was probably the first Zephyr player I played with since update 12 when she was first released~ Of course though I know they are out there, and being from the east coast of the U.S. is in consideration.

So my question is some of your reasons on why you don't play, or don't like to play Zephyr? Is it the over abundance of Oxium you need to craft her? Or maybe just aesthetically you don't like her design? Or just simply put, she's just not your cup-of-tea? I'm sure you all have your reasons, I'm just honestly curious since with my experience, she seems like a rare spawn to see haha.

I was originally a Hydroid player for a while now, and one day on a whim, decided to craft Zephyr to try her out. Thinking though I probably wont be to crazy about her and her floaty-ness, I ended up falling in-love with my Zephy and her awesome abilities and playstyle lol.

Zephyr can't copter unless you're host. That's why most people don't use her.

Personally I like her, but dislike the fact that her movement ability is nothing more than a dash/jump. 

I feel it'd be much better if she could hover or glide or something over another dash/jump.

Also Oxium costs per part are a bit stupid. Not as bad as others say or how it was in the beginning, but still pretty stupid considering its a rare resource that drops from one enemy (who can do a suicide attack, denying you that resource.)

Love Zephyr, I use mine quite a bit. Turbelence is awesome, especially when it lasts 30+ seconds at a time and Tail Wind is great for getting around and going fast on Capture missions in the void. Also have a blast equipping any of the launcher weapons and playing Defense or Interception. If you haven't played Zephyr with an Ogris or an Angstrum yet, you're missing out!

All that being said, I wish the Dive Bomb and Tornado abilities were more useful. Dive Bomb seems situational at best, and rarely does much of anything, with most enemies being uneffected in my experience. Tornado lacks any sort of control to be able to use it tactically, and most people just complain if you use it at all.

Zephyr is the queen of interception. No other frame can move as quickly from point a to point b and so forth. She is also a great solo runner, although a rhino prime with arcane vanguard and rush outperforms her in this category due to being less reliant on energy.

I find all of her abilities useful except for dive bomb. Tornadoes are actually pretty good cc if you don't care too much about enemy drops because they can incapacitate a large chunk of enemies for 20+ seconds. 

Her most defining and useful feature is, however, tailwind. It is the best mobility spell in the game. Any time high mobility is required,for example: during vault runs to find the vault, mastery rank 8 test to skip most of the course, parkouring to secret void treasure rooms, navigating through the orokin derelict, skipping elevators and stairs, zephyr excels. 

Any time I see a Zephyr now, I groan.

"Even though we have a Vauban, who will completely control the mission with Vortex, this Zephyr is going to cast Tornado and slow things down. Let's see how long it takes for that to happen."

Always about 3 waves before they start spamming Tornado.

Sure you can say Tornado is a CLEAR THE POD/ARTIFACT NOOOOOOWWWWW OH GOD WERE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE move, but I have yet to see someone emergency use it. Instead, they just cast it. And then every wave takes twice as long.

Yay...

Also what further kills me is the Tornadoes that don't get shot for a change in element. They just stay magnetic. Against the infested. Why would you even DO that?

Luckily I run into Zephyrs about as much as I run into 2 dollar bills online in public games, but when I do, it's an eye opening experience.

Since that is the only good offensive move she has, they are forced to either use it and simply yell "IM HELPING!" or sit there and do nothing with their guns and be sad.

Very sad frame honestly.

I luv Zephyr, she's like my main now.

I use her for pretty much all the stuff, and go with efficiency with some duration on all abilities. Yes, I even use Dive Bomb. There's just that great thing about spamming her first 3 abilities to stay alive, and Heavy Impact is the greatest thing to go on her. Gives CC knockdown if you're reflexes are good..

Zephyr is amazing for interception missions, 3 for invulnerability, 1 to go between nodes in an instant, 2 to keep from overshooting said nodes, and you can even use her ult because for interception you don't care how fast you kill things just that they're not capturing nodes. Capture missions are great too as she can ignore everything shooting at her while tail winding to the target.

She also was and will be great for excavation missions being able to easily protect the excavators and get between them quickly.

Frames are tools and it's all about using the right tool for the job, and while there are better frames for defense, survival, rescue, and exterminate, Zephyr definitely has several game modes where she can shine not just in a support role but as a major player.

Edited by DragonJG

I'm sorry but this one just warrants a "get gud" type of comment.

She has the highest base HP and Shield of all frames. That's great bulk for a mobility frame.

Her first skill is one of the best mobility tools ingame. It has lackluster damage but it is amazing for getting around.

I give credit, divebomb is mediocre and cc and even worse at damage, but paired with heavy impact it creates a decent CC and some form of reliable damage, and it's activates it from any height.

Then turbluence, granting her near immunity from range sources this makes her a great melee frame as she doesn't have to worry about ranged attacks. Seeing as you were against grineer, it deflects nearly all of their hitscan weaponry.

Finally Tornado, as annoying as it can be for other teammates it provides some great CC and decent procs, not to mention like all her other kills it scales well with duration.

I am sorry but zephyr is far from a bad frame, might not be your style but certainly not bad. The fact that you wrote this without even testing her last 2 abilities is just a  hasty  conclusion.

Sorry mate but

lrn2flyzephyr

No worries mate. I have not once ever considered myself good at the game. From what I can tell, I am average at best. Only been playing a week, so I hope I do "get gud". As far as the frame goes, I do think she can use some work for the first two skills, which is partly why I wrote that. I tried to point to that in the last few sentences. Like I had said, first impressions are strong for new players such as myself. The other part of why I wrote it is people were wondering why she is not used as much, and I think the first impression of the first two skills might be a good reason. 

But I digress, You are correct though, from the sources I have read. I don't debate that. But, in all honesty, I don't have the skill to utilize her at this point. I am still falling into oblivion with simple skills like wall runs to get up higher (let go of the button too early). Once I get to the point where I can be more effective with the parkour in the game, the only thing that frame can do for me is get me in a mess of trouble, lol. 

Zephyr isn't a damage frame. This is a good thing as you will rapidly find out that damage abilities not named Bladestorm, Molecular Prime, or Anti-Matter Drop do worse than nothing as enemy levels increase. Tailwind is probably the best mobility skill in the game. It's a better version of slash dash and super jump packaged into one ability. Dive bomb is admittedly pretty bad unless you have heavy impact. Turbulence is fantastic. It's effectively a snow globe with infinite health that moves with you and doesn't block ally fire. Hypothetically it's possible to be hit by hitscan weapons. In practice I've stood in front of corrupted heavy gunners for minutes at a time without taking a single hit. It even works against the Stalker. She has one of the game's few remaining god modes, and unlike Hydroid's trollpool and Valkyr's hysteria you still get to shoot guns and mobility skills.

TLDR Zephyr is both the most mobile frame in the game and one of the tankiest.

Aye, okay. I will not bore you with a repeat of what I said to the quote above. I don't disagree with you. At the moment, I am not good enough nor have high enough level mods for my weapons to survive in 20 minute low level survival modes without the damage skills or at least the healing of Trinity. So until I am she really can't do anything for me. Plus, they really need to do something with dive bomb, or just throw it out and give her a teleport skill where you can effectively teleport behind the back of the targeted bad guy. Or something else, just brainstorming. 

Anyway, I don't doubt you. But I think I will stick to leveling Trinity until I feel I can actually use Zephyr to her potential. I am tired of hitting my head on the ceiling. :P

Zephyr is my fav. warframe. People don't realize, that her turbulence skill is a better version of hysteria - only melee enemies can hit you, while it is active (i use stretch and overextended). Only if the napalms wouldn't light me up...

also, the tail wind is addictive :-)

why people don't like her? Becuz her ult doesn't kill -> frame sucks

Any time I see a Zephyr now, I groan.

"Even though we have a Vauban, who will completely control the mission with Vortex, this Zephyr is going to cast Tornado and slow things down. Let's see how long it takes for that to happen."

Always about 3 waves before they start spamming Tornado.

Sure you can say Tornado is a CLEAR THE POD/ARTIFACT NOOOOOOWWWWW OH GOD WERE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIE move, but I have yet to see someone emergency use it. Instead, they just cast it. And then every wave takes twice as long.

Yay...

Also what further kills me is the Tornadoes that don't get shot for a change in element. They just stay magnetic. Against the infested. Why would you even DO that?

Luckily I run into Zephyrs about as much as I run into 2 dollar bills online in public games, but when I do, it's an eye opening experience.

Since that is the only good offensive move she has, they are forced to either use it and simply yell "IM HELPING!" or sit there and do nothing with their guns and be sad.

Very sad frame honestly.

I assume you are talking about ODD (based on mention of a defense point and infested). Honestly I've never played ODD (I'm MR8, still don't care), but Tornado really is just a skill to be used very situationally. For me, it's best used when in emergency (like you mention, clearing an area immediately, though leaving enemies alive usually). There is one other time I'll used it: when there's one enemy left and for some reason nobody can find them (but they are nearby somehow).

Like others have mentioned, Zephy excells at the large maps (Excavation, anyone?) and Interception. Not to be unmentioned, she's damn near invincible when fighting Corpus (and Void) with her Turbulence skill. That reminds me of my favorite moment with her during an interception...

Teammate goes down, literally across the map (snow crater level). I think my teammate is nearby (yay minimap). However, 9 seconds later, the teammate who's alive runs by me, like they're ignoring everything except for point B (turned out they were always running between A and B). Next thing I know is that I'm Tailwinding like crazy across the map in a mad dash attempt to save that teammate.

All I see are about a dozen Corpus in a crowd right next to him, and I've got 5 seconds left. I try out Turbulence (this was also my first time using the skill), and start reviving the guy with 3 seconds to spare. The smile on my face...

Ever since that mission, I've considered Zephyr to be my main frame (Trinity used to be my favorite).

...I still don't know how to use Tornado effectively, as I avoid that skill to avoid making teammates mad if I ever use it. Though, because of this thread, I know I should try using Heavy Impact to get Divebomb up to a worthy skill.

Tailwind is only a bit of mobility, dive bomb is useless and tornado is actually even a detriment.

Only skill worth using is turbulence, which is only half effective against grineer and useless against infected.

Maybe if Turbulence gave like a slowing aura to nearby enemies (walking against the wind etc.) and improve some of the effectiveness against Grineer (rockets just come back when you blow them away which should be a bug IMO) then maybe she would be picked more.

Tailwind is only a bit of mobility, dive bomb is useless and tornado is actually even a detriment.

Only skill worth using is turbulence, which is only half effective against grineer and useless against infected.

Maybe if Turbulence gave like a slowing aura to nearby enemies (walking against the wind etc.) and improve some of the effectiveness against Grineer (rockets just come back when you blow them away which should be a bug IMO) then maybe she would be picked more.

turbulence redirects ALL projectiles, and effects enemies with hitscan guns within its range. When you build with overextended and stretch, it has enough range to almost never get hit, even with narrow minded. Because

1. most tiles are small

2. enemies have limited attack range

3. the gorgon is so inaccurate, that even if heavy gunners attack you from outside of the range, they'll miss anyway

you have a solid point about bombards and napalms, but otherwise turbulence is one of the best skills in the game. + mobility + tornado to buy some time if things get ugly. MUCH better than rhino/prime, unless you play in low levels, where iron skin is worth something