Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tutorial Prologue Maybe Not Enough

Agullimux

TL:DR Lotus should say some few important facts and maybe some tutorial.+ Maybe some newbie quests?

There seem to be lots of folks already on mr3+ and yet their frame seems to use unranked/damaged hp / shield mods. Also for some reason low mr tend to do something that might not help keeping their tenno alive.
1. they don't use cover while shooting (take more hits)
2. they shoot but just stand in the open while doing so -> enemies tend to hit more often
3. they don't get into cover when shields are down
4. they don't use ground slam even if they are surrounded by 7 enemies in melee range (die very fast)

5. they never seem to use spells

6. when they use even their slash dash don't even kill level 15 enemies (unranked)

7. do they know that upgrading spells does not increase power cost? (lotus should tell this?)

8. leveling weapon does not increase damage (mod capacity only)

9. sometimes out of curiosity asked what mods they have and they tons of mods in weaponry (all unranked) even impact damage mod on puncture weapon (paris)

Also they seem to rush asap out of mercury. Most important mods to start are from grineer mercury (low level planet) and easiest to get from survival
serration
hornet strike (reward survival)

pressure point (can be easily upgraded full with raining dublicates)
few elemental mods

point strike (can be easily upgraded full with raining dublicates)
vitality

flow

streamline

intensify

well redirection and hornet is from infested but are common so earth dark sector might be good thing to go + that life strike

and fast deflection from corpus. (helps a lot because no sentinel with guardian yet)

First thing new players should farm is like getting shields or hp around 500 (depends on starter frame) and getting mod to rank 4 cost only few cores and is very fast to get.

Also mk1-braton is good enough to solo with rank 4 serration + 2 elemental mods for t1 void mobile defense (8+8+8 mod cost) is already enough damage) (those control modules for sentinel)

Maybe there should be kind of collector achievement quest for new players. (credit award?)
Lotus: "These damaged mods you have gotten from "hard work" will make you somewhat strong  but i heard this place have fully intact mods.
Ordis: "What are you waiting for, it is  time for blood pa*** i mean  treasure hunting"

And maybe some mod upgrade thing quest for spells.  (some fusion core award?)
Lotus: " I see you already remember your skills, but cryo stasis have eaten all power from them, you need recharge their ranks as soon as possible. Tenno who have does not have balance in their skills will have trouble keeping order in balance.

Ordis: "Master while i was booting space ship your showing off seemed to be pretty weak to be honest. Please don't throw me to to outer space"

After zooming to planet should there be button "possible mod drops" to show what they can get from planet. It might also get their curious of mods?

Could there be some tutorial in same kind of environment like mastery tests? "Ordis virtual training program"

Like having only melee and really need to use that block to complete test or some mobility/cover stuff where getting too many shot is failure? Instead of killing vor to get starting credits maybe some credit from these to motive people to try?

edit: Why we have howl of kubrow quest when new players might get use more from sentinels? (cheaper also)

Lotus could give t0 void key to do easy void to get those first control modules? Maybe scout mission for void?

Edited by Agullimux

Warframe has ALOT of mechanics. The codex was their best attempt at trying to teach the player the mountains of information that the current tutorial/quest could not. Obviously they will be adding more to teach players who join, but i don't think it will be long before the amount of new players joining starts to decline, and the need for more tutorial content drops as a result. why create a tutorial to explain to most players what they already know?

I think more mission types involving quests would be a better option that simply expending the tutorial or giving the player a very linear path to learn from. 

But i can't give you the godly solution as i am not a game designer, just a player.  

sadly there are more problems than listed here but yes alot of the newer players are all trying to skip any form of elarning and head right to what they have been told is the endgame content, this causing them to aggravate alot of the more experianced players when they are a direct/indirect cause of a high tier run to fail misserably.

i would personally blame the current taxi mechanics as it allows people who havint even been bothered to play more than the starting mission to make it all the way to pluto.  removing the ability to taxi untill mercury, or at least vors prize would help this a little i think.

sadly tho i dont think the flood of inexperiance or "obvious" questions that get asked in region is ever going to decrease, even with better planned out tutorials.  and the codex doesnt help much when some of the questions asked are "where can i find the codex"

im also beggining to think massive flashing signs pointing to the nav console saying that you earn the market segment in the next mission might be a good idea, as thats another one we get alot of.  its true that you shouldnt over baby the new players but at the same time they all want to be treated as such.

More 

Can't say I have ever had that issue lol, but I could see that being frustrating. Having to revive 3 MR1's on pluto.

More frustating is to revire mr10+ people on t4 farming because they want to level their frames(no shield or hp mod) and weapons there from lvl0. It is no problem if one defensive mod and one good weapon, but they insist having all 4 spells on lvl0frame  and 3 lvl0 weapons for maximum exp efficiency.Trying frames first time or just plain stupid.

Better let them rot.
After that they leave and i happily get my key and exp.

Part of the problem is that a fair amount of people just don't pay attention in the first place.

Most of the info is actually there, just in some cases rather then have a big flashing screen pop up and tell you exactly whats going on you just have to click a little tutorial button in the corner instead. Hek, even when info pops up in your face people still tend to ignore it then wonder why they are confused.

Some of those issues are like taking cover etc are really things people should just know unless they have literally never played any kind of game before, let alone a shooter.

At what point does it stop being a tutorial and just become excessive hand holding?

A few more things definitely need to be more obvious and clarified for new players for sure but it likely wont help much.

If a bunch of us vets could handle it without a tutorial I'm sure everyone else can with the tutorial even in its unpolished state.

Lotus should direct new players to check out the Codex for info.

^ That ^

They should also provide links to the Warframe youtube channels as well as the Wiki and Forums on the launcher.  Newbies can check that stuff out while the game is downloading and get a bit of a heads up on a lot of stuff. 

^ That ^

They should also provide links to the Warframe youtube channels as well as the Wiki and Forums on the launcher.  Newbies can check that stuff out while the game is downloading and get a bit of a heads up on a lot of stuff. 

Easiest and maybe most effective way would be if DE made guide. And under that game download link/register account.

Wiki and videos might be useful but de does not upkeep wiki and has only prime time?

Easiest and maybe most effective way would be if DE made guide. And under that game download link/register account.

Wiki and videos might be useful but de does not upkeep wiki and has only prime time?

True, but they could review certain channel and just provide links on the launcher.  I'm betting it would take a lot less time coding to set up and it introduces new players to the community as well as teaching them to look outside the game for more information.