Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennotalk: Using Animations As In Game Communication

ElHefe

Background:

Tenno don't talk ...

They yell, scream and roar but these are either use of Qi, battle cries or just plain grunts

Consequently many players have not only accepted the "strong and silent" archetype but they would balk at the mere suggestion of changing it

This is understandable ... 

Staying silent lets the player use their imagination

In addition to which many of those who feel the strongest about this are amongst the most veteran players who have the benefit of perspective

However, everyone LOVED it when Frost and Hydroid fist bumped in the Ice Bucket Challenge vid ...

a2524282-1b57-4849-a8d8-e8578c32409e.png

Concept: 

Use body language as cues for what's being said between players

Like emotes on texts or messaging, there could be a repertoire of "sentences" represented by body pose, hand gestures, arm movements, head motion

Purpose:

To interject some levity into the game, bring character to the warframes and give some immersion

This is intended to complement existing game voicechat and game texting, not supplant them

For practical purposes, there would have to be a limited number of "emotes", estimate 5 to 10

Examples:

1. Saying "yes" -- subtle nod

2. Saying "Hells yes!" -- vigorous head shaking

3. Saying "No" -- subtle head shake

4. Saying "Hell to the no" -- sweeping movement with forearm

5. Saying "Take point" -- finger/arm extension

Animations would vary between warframes, each being a unique variant that fits the overall theme of the character

For instance, Volt could have lighting spray from his head while emphatically shaking his head No!! while Excalibur just remains impassive with a slow and forcibly deliberate wind up of the head a bit to one side and then a faster twist in the opposite direction

Implementation:

Keyboard/mouse users could have specials keys assigned and make it VERY SIMPLE such as 1 = yes, 2 = Hells yes!, etc

Controller users could have a special button menu and do a quick pull down (rather like pause in game pulls up a menu) or hit a hot key and cycle through it until reaches the desired response

Questions:

1. Would you want to see a "signaling" feature such as this introduced?

2. Does this mechanic add to the feeling of having a real character or not?

3. What are the drawbacks of this mechanic?

4. Comment upon the implementation.  What would work better?

5. Are there any specific animations you would want to see if such a system was put into place?

Acknowledgment:

Credit goes to (PS4)Lowk721 for the inspiration of this concept

I look forward to your imput and am ready for both the good and the bad ...

Edited for clarity

Edited by ElHefe

I would honestly love to see something like this, however useless it may actually be because face it, when do things slow down enough to relay messages to squad members other than to scold them or tell them to evac as most do. Unless, and this is really where it could shine if produced about the fixing of this, but a stealth based tact-team animations which I could see for stealth, but once again unless you have a built team and just don't feel like typing I don't really see this implementing. However, once again I would enjoy it being accessible.

comm rose (ala battlefield). thats the only way to add many menus to 1 key/button, then mouse/stick select. this could be used for kubrow commands as well, if they ever implement any.

i think DE said something about frame gestures in one devstream, should check to be sure. im pretty sure they already thought of it. sadly, while it sounds realy immersive and all, ppl dont really pay attention to eachother in warframe, due to the fast paced gameplay we most use. but im also sure i'd use this a lot with friends. im down for it, no doubt. i'd guess is far from being a priority though, but probably someday...

+1.

And you know what OP?

Examples:

1. Saying "yes" -- subtle nod

2. Saying "Hells yes!" -- vigorous head shaking

3. Saying "No" -- subtle head shake

4. Saying "Hell to the no" -- sweeping movement with forearm

5. Saying "Take point" -- finger/arm extension

They already showed some of the things in your example! And it still isn't there...!

Wait, I'm immediately looking for that devstream to show you all.

Edit : found it ! :

24 min 48"

Edited by unknow99

Some sort of visual on the fly prompts would indeed be welcome. When you play with randoms not everyone speaks/has headsets so rather than risk certain death trying to type mid battle on a controller it would be nice to i dunno express some "hell to the no" every now and again lol. Especially when someone has gone down because some idiot instead of being patient has ran on the lift with us, pressed the button and left his ally stranded fighting for dear life at the bottom of a now vanishing into the distance elevator! haha

@ OokamiDamashi @ Aeiroth ... you both are spot on, this mechanic would not work while in a fracas - that's for voice chat or game texting but when the action slowed down, it could work, especially after Extermination missions or even between waves in Defense

@ unknow99 ... many thanks for the Devstream link - it's like deja vu all over again

Will comment after some reflection 

Greetings mate.

I`ll be honest,I love the "silent wargod" "feel" warframe offers. But I wouldn`t mind such a system being implemented.

The tenno who posted above do have a point regarding this systems usefulness in a combat scenario. This could,however,be useful in the Dojo,or any other social area that might be implemented in the distant future. Several friendly gestures/interactions to,for instance,greet a member who just entered the Dojo. I also love the idea of every warframe having a special animation/gesture,as this would further distinguish one warframe from another(It would add to the feeling of having a real character.).

Perhaps the system could have use in combat,if the UI notified players to which gestures are being utilized by their teammates(As stated above,in the heat of combat,players will easily miss the subtle gestures performed by their allies.).

One last thing. I remain neutral when it comes to making warframes dance. It would be rather entertaining to see a breakdancing Loki,but It might ruin the immersion for some people. This,however,is just a personal opinion.

Good luck and good hunting mates.

Edited by yetanotherunoriginalname

Problem is, in the giant murder fest and explosion galore, I highly doubt anyone would actually notice these things. Although I can see console players who aren't using headphones might get some use out of these.

I've seen it helped by quick premade messages alerting those near of an action another player is doing. So even if they dont see it players can still be aware its happening.