Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Combos Take Too Much Concentration And Arent Even Worth Doing.

Currystador

I would have much preferred a 2 button combo system with faster attack moves that string naturally together. It might not be as flashy as some of the long winded combos we currently have but it would have been a lot more usable and with a higher skill ceiling. There's a good reason why other games use similar systems- they've been proven to work.

Under the current system the only combos worth using tend to be either the shorter ones or those that have some added value such as CC or gap closers. The standard EEE attacks are still more reliable in most cases and are better for building up your multiplier though.

yah. you're limited to 3 frames out of what? 20? when you want to do melee.

(I dont know how much frames there are and I dont want to bother checking, but it sure as hell outnumbers those 3 by like a lot...)

Excal, Ash, Loki, Trinity, Valkyr (how did you even forget her???), Zephyr (Turbulence lets you go 1 vs 1), Frost with this iceball and 1rst ability stun, Mirage with eclipse + hall of mirrors, Vauban, etc.

Edited by jjpdn

Excal, Ash, Loki, Trinity, Valkyr (how did you even forget her???), Zephyr (Turbulence lets you go 1 vs 1), Frost with this iceball and 1rst ability stun, Mirage with eclipse + hall of mirrors, Vauban, etc.

Not sure why Frost and Vauban are on that list. They're among the least effective dedicated-melee Frames out there; the only time they shine with a sword is when a gun is equipped in the other hand.

Frost is hindered by having the worst mobility in the game and the fact that his only damage-stopping ability requires him to pretty much stand still (terrible combination for melee, no matter how tanky a frame is). A single-target ability that freezes an opponent until they take one hit (and, by the way, isn't even guaranteed to hit the target in the first place) does not in any way make up for this. He's focused more on gunplay.

Vauban is hindered by incredible squishiness and the lack of any reliable panic button when surrounded by enemies that are out of Bastille's reach (which, by the way, really isn't that long. Bastille with maxed Stretch and Overextended reaches about as far as an unmodded Radial Blind.) Vauban is great for mobbing, but generally with a ranged weapon.

Whats excal suppose to do that Rhino cannot do

Excalibur is one of the three Frames that can force 400% Stealth multipliers on swathes of enemies with a click of a button (the other two being Loki and Ash). He's also mobile and reasonably tanky, which is the beast-at-melee hat trick.

There is actually very little that Rhino can do in pure melee that Excalibur cannot.

Edited by SortaRandom

• 5 weeks later...

The R button is unused.

it's really a waste of potential

NekrosCodex.png

But in all seriousness, I'd rather not see a new button get introduced for reasons that I mentioned above (a month ago). We already have enough buttons for a normal/smash combo system with our current layout (E for normal attacks, Block for smash attacks during combos, etc); three is difficult to manage and entirely unnecessary. 

R, if anything, should be used for some sort of Quick Fire from your secondary weapon while in melee mode.

i am playing a mouse-based gameplay wich that means

that all my attack config is on my Razer Imperator applyed

so when i am surounded of large amount of Infested i dont

count the clicks or have the attention to perform a particular

combo so it comes a random combo as result and i dont have the

time or the fun to remember the combos from all stances

i have almost all weapons and use them all time to time

so for me the only use and benefit from stances is the more 

moding points to avoid forma the melee weapons

i dont have this clear in my mind but something like :

attack button1(asigned to any key or left mouse click)

second button(asigned to any key or additional mouse button)

all stances have COMMON triggering code for combos

Tranquil Cleave

combo1 button1 x2 =Windless Cut

combo2 button1 x3 =Breathless Lunge

combo3 button1+button2 x2 =Beyond Reproach

combo4 button1+button2 x3 =Hook and Eye

Decisive Judgement

combo1 button1 x2 =Final Verdict

combo2 button1 x3 =Consent Decree

combo3 button1+button2 x2 =Swift Retribution

combo4 button1+button2 x3 =Silent Acumen

Bleeding willow

combo1 button1 x2 =Lethal Gust

combo2 button1 x3 =Drifting Steel

combo3 button1+button2 x2

combo4 button1+button2 x3

so you dont have to remember all combos and this is

not for players that use ONLY 1 weapon this is for them

that enoy to play with Glaive Nikana Orthos Galatine Scoliac

sorry for my english

Edited by JoMenton

Half of the time I forget we even have combos, much less actually use them. My melee'ing consists of me flying around zoren-coptering and slashing everything up with e-e-e-e-e-e. When the pod is surrounded by enemies and things are getting hectic, I find the combos as useful as the mole I have on the side of of my calf.

If I need aoe or crowd control (depending on which weapon i'm using), I don't start a particular combo! No sir. I simply jump and quickly slam-attack. It's faster, more controlled and MUCH more intuitive than trying to pull specific combos for specific effects.  

However, what I do use alot of times, even when just quick melee'ing, is the finisher attack. I love that one. I see them go down and if I see it's a heavy unit and the pod is safe, I rush over there and stab them like there's no tomorrow. The obex are my favorite for this.

But other than that, they could delete every single combo and I wouldn't even notice, really. 

Half of the time I forget we even have combos, much less actually use them. My melee'ing consists of me flying around zoren-coptering and slashing everything up with e-e-e-e-e-e. When the pod is surrounded by enemies and things are getting hectic, I find the combos as useful as the mole I have on the side of of my calf.

If I need aoe or crowd control (depending on which weapon i'm using), I don't start a particular combo! No sir. I simply jump and quickly slam-attack. It's faster, more controlled and MUCH more intuitive than trying to pull specific combos for specific effects.  

However, what I do use alot of times, even when just quick melee'ing, is the finisher attack. I love that one. I see them go down and if I see it's a heavy unit and the pod is safe, I rush over there and stab them like there's no tomorrow. The obex are my favorite for this.

But other than that, they could delete every single combo and I wouldn't even notice, really. 

+1