Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Vectis Skin

KittyDarkling

I really had a hard time figuring our where to put this.. but I really wanted outside opinions on how my skin's coming along! So if this is the wrong spot politely move this topic where ever.

Anyway! here it is, every single map has been lovingly slaved over to make the Vectis look like it was -very- infested! :D

ly0VOtU.jpg

This is the old showcase image in a spoiler tag

xQF9VFk.jpg

eVJbAWg.jpg

hgvJhFo.jpg

WmwdwxV.png

EDIT: I lightened ^ this one up a little and This v is a new render with some moved around lighting, higher resolution, and generally better quality. No fancy background but let me know what you guys think :D

skxE4G8.png

Please let me know what you guys think! Like it? hate it? detailed feedback? I'm excited to hear about it :D

Also, it's a WIP (just fyi)

Considering the contest's submission period has ended I have to call this piece complete! I think the quality of the piece in general is as good as I could of done, but I really hope the presentation is well received as well since that's pretty much what's going to make or break in a contest like this. Thank you everyone who's supplied feedback, and wish me luck in the voting period of the contest!

Edited by KittyDarkling

Can't see S#&$ cap'n, far too dark.

I'll take a couple new renders to make it easier to see

Wouldn't your skins be overlooked since having another pair of infested-like dual swords its redundant? Sorry if I'm being pesimistic

The Vectis is a Sniper Rifle :o If this were the Zorens, that's be pretty good feedback though!

it looks really great, but everyone is right- you should render it on a white or blue background with an ambient light node so that we're looking at the work you did on the skin, not on the microscope slide behind it.

Those comments were in regards to the older renders that were significantly darker, I tried rendering it out on a white background in testing actually, but the contrast was so harsh that it made it even harder to see. While the contest was open I was focusing primarily on the textures themselves and might not of allocated enough time to the showcase render.

Those comments were in regards to the older renders that were significantly darker, I tried rendering it out on a white background in testing actually, but the contrast was so harsh that it made it even harder to see. While the contest was open I was focusing primarily on the textures themselves and might not of allocated enough time to the showcase render.

Put in a matte gray floor plane and a matte gray background plane, and when you shoot it, shoot from a slightly isometric angle down the line of the rifle and make sure the whole scene is in the background. You should be able to pick out where the floor meets the ground. Use an ambient light node from above to light the model.

Keep in mind that you aren't shooting your model, you're shooting light. That's how your eye functions. Everything you see or don't see your entire life is just bouncing light.

So if you shoot the model over a background slide or a stark white background with murder-contrast, that's what you're going to see. The ambient light in an actual 'lightbox' background gives it context and helps create the illusion of three dimensional space.

It looks really great though the only part i have a problem with is these parts:

skljr6h.png

To me they look to inorganic for this awesome infested skin and would look better if they were organic instead.

That's actually intentional! since I have no control over the sound assets, damage type, mesh ect. I wanted to make it sorta "semi infested" IT would be kinda weird if a fully infested weapons sounded like and functioned purely like a machine. Maybe when they implement a more hands on contest I'll make something a bit more radical :D