Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are You The Bad Guy?

Kennerbobber

So as you know, in Warframe, you play as a butt kicking space ninja that fights space Nazis, an evil company and zombies. BUT, what if I told you that YOU were the bad guy? Well before we begin, I am NOT saying space Nazis are the good guys, basically everyone in this game is a bad guy. Anyways let's get started with the evidence, yeah? Well starting off with Stalker's codex entry, "A royal solute to the honored Tenno. Ten solemn beats to declare the suffering was over. I watched from a distance, with the rest of the low Guardians. With each beat terror began to crush my throat. The Tenno were not stoic and silent. They were waiting. They were poised. I tried to call out but only a strangled whisper escaped. When the ninth beat rang a torrent of blood filled the stadium, loosed by Tenno blades. The drums, the empire, fell silent forever" (Direct quote from Stalker's codex entry), basically what this implies is that you massacred the Orokin (If you don't know what the Orokin are, basically they're human descendants that are geniuses in technology, they created the Warframes and their technology rivals present day technology), but why would you kill the people that made you stronger? I'm not going to go through a bunch of theories so I'll just move onto Stalker's quote, "(Player name), you can't run from your past", pretty obvious what that means. Although we now know that you killed the Orokin, there is more evidence, the Corpus always refer to the Tenno as "Betrayers" because they killed the Orokin. So yeah, I have more than likely missed some evidence so please put in the comments things I missed and your theories. PS, sorry for making you go through this big paragraph...

Moral gray area~

DE has stated that the Tenno are canonically good guys in this universe, but they are controlled by players with different opinions and drives (LOOT!!!!) so that is inevitably gonna lead to a more... let's call it "fluid" morality. Also, a certain event introduced a level of moral ambiguity into the game, and people chose different sides in that. Neither side was truly "wrong" from a lore perspective. The invasion game modes perpetuate this.

In the end it's all relative. It is the nature of conflict that you're only the good guy from your perspective and all opposing sides will see you as the bad guy.

It ain't black and white, yo.

But really everything is shades of grey, no one sees themselves as evil.

In fact, the factions of Warframe are equally non-evil. The Grineer are acting on orders, just like the Corpus. There are certain individuals (like Alad V) that can be seen as evil, but Alad V also seems to be an exception among the Corpus as it seems they don't really like but have to tolerate him. The Grineer are also desperately hoping to find a cure for their degeneration, nothing too special in a sci-fi-setting, but worth the mention.

The Infested are like the Borg in Star Trek, simply being collectively convinced they are what everyone should become because they live in a harmony outsiders don't experience. They are not evil, but ignorant to accept that other life-forms have just as much right to be there.

The Lotus and the Tenno basically try to re-establish and defend their understanding of order, making them the stereotypical hollywood-good-guys.

Edited by RedEyedRaven

I'm just a mass of energy without any memories, controlling different exo-armor powersuits and gender bending at will, my only purpose is to increase my collection of robo-suits, obtain weapons and robot pets, I've recently taken up an interest at collecting different breeds of space dogs.

Morality has nothing to do with my line of thinking, the only thing that drives me onward is increasing the amount of toys I get to play with, and making myself look more swag.

I'm just a mass of energy without any memories, controlling different exo-armor powersuits and gender bending at will, my only purpose is to increase my collection of robo-suits, obtain weapons and robot pets, I've recently taken up an interest at collecting different breeds of space dogs.

Morality has nothing to do with my line of thinking, the only thing that drives me onward is increasing the amount of toys I get to play with, and making myself look more swag.

That's probably the best interpretation of tenno I've ever heard.

Beyond that, I'd like to note, @OP: What can be pieced together from lore available, the orokin apparently sent us to the void to begin with, as quarantine for being infested that don't go full zombie. We're kind of dangerous creatures with a variety of strange energy flowing through our flesh, so I imagine we're a bit of a safety hazard, even if we're not contagious.  They then got involved in a war, and lost, so they brought us back from the void, and built us suits based on ancient technology to help us control all of that energy, and sent us out to kill the people destroying them.

The stalker is mainly upset with the "and everybody dies" part, but the codex entries we've got, and even his own descriptions, suggest the orokin weren't particularly empathetic, so it's likely that "kill everyone" was somewhere between self-defense(SOMEONE put us in to cryopods 20 feet in the air!), pre-emptive salvation(if they're willing to use infested as weapons and throw people into the void, the chances they planned on doing something else horrible next is pretty high--great opportunity to take them out while they're all gathered together at once), and mere revenge(the orokin affectionately refer to the void as "hellspace", and they sent us there. I somehow imagine we don't appreciate the sentiment.).

So, it's more likely that the orokin were quite evil, and sorta deserved it, than the idea that we're quite evil and the orokin were innocent(except for the part where they send people to hell and throw zombie armies made of their own citizens at their enemies and carelessly have their troops slaughtered by the thousands).

We are the lesser evil of the factions in the system, not the expansionistic Grineer, the explotative Corpus, nor the devouring maw of the infestation.

Each life we take saves dozens more who remain blissfully unaware of the horrors we perpetrate on those who would use them as pawns. We are the steady hand that balances the scales of power, and we are the ones who will wipe the measures from it when time comes.

It doesn't matter what the general populace think of the Orokin.

What the Tenno did think is that the Orokin are probably A******s for "doing this to me !"

That is probably why they rebelled.

Remember no one liked the Tenno or even knew they exist. They are just rumors.

In Mag Prime's codex entry, Tenno are described as a ghost or sick victims of the void era that are just myths (healthy does of Orokin propoganda perhaps).

Tenno were only activated when Humanity and Orokin were fast going extinct.

In fact it is probable that the Orokin had an empire that surpassed the Sol system, just that when the Sentients finally made it to the Sol system, it is a fight for survival.

Edited by fatpig84

I dont care if im the bad guy anymore. I kill things for money and mods and parts and S#&$. I dont care about the lives or protections of others. Im selfish, im narcissistic, im the only one I look out for. I work for myself and others pay me to work for them. You pay me to be the good guy i'll be the good guy, you pay me to be the bad guy i'll be the bad guy.

I ve thought a little about the codex entries

1- about warframes, excalibur & ember prime entries suggest tennos origin is either as 1st explorers from the void who had been jailed after unexpected consequences from exploration, either deliberate military experiments with children in void. Sounds like good reasons for revenge vs establishment

2- about sentient war & after. Sentient threat was over & you have a lot of superpowerful warriors with nothin to do & strength you can t take away left. Pretty threatening to a ruling body no? A logical step could be: we must eliminate em be4 they revolt. Tennos could have gotten wind of plans like these & decided a preemptive strike for survival

The real question is: why the tenno murdered the Orokins?

Because they wanted to finally die they are all infected with the same virus that makes the infested only they have a rare genetic quirk that means that they are not controlled by the infected hive mind.

also its they only thing that allows them to interface with their suits

I am guessing but I think thats why