Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk Specters

CaptainEras

Question

I have well over 100 specters - a mix of all 4.

The reason I'm doing this thread is because:

a) this is my favourite game and I spend a hell of a lot of time playing it, but I never see anyone else using specters.

b) I've lost count of the amount of people asking me what the funny looking feller is all about.

When I have explained most are gobsmacked, never realizing there was such a thing in the game.

So, I decided it was time to do a refresher.

Specters go from one star to 4 stars, the 4star (cosmic) only available from random nightmare missions.

Vapor specters: forged in packs of 10. Vallis/Mars, Numa/Saturn, Brugis/Erias, Mab/Uranus

Phase specters: forged in packs of 5. Brugis/Eris, Mab/Uranus, Nereid/Neptune, Cinxis/Ceres

Force specters: forged in packs of 3. Brugis/Eris, Mab/Uranus, Nereid/Neptune, Cinxis/Ceres.

Cosmic specter: forged in pack of 1. Nereid/Neptune, Cinxis/Ceres.

Too many times have I seen squads free the package and make for home, not realizing that if you do not kill all guards there will be no specter bp.

Too many times have I seen squads not looking after the package.

This is why I mainly go solo . . .well, not quite solo.

My Huras Kubrow has "Stalk" mod on so we go invisible all the way there, no shooting ( I use rhino prime for the iron skin, no point trying to use Loki for permanent invisibility as my method doesn't produce many energy drops).

When I get to unlock the cell area I equip a specter (there are now 3 in my "solo" squad), free the package and give them my akzani machine pistoleros.

Always keeping a very close eye on the package my squad kills all guards then, keeping tight formation, shoot our way home . . but never in a rush.

This is just one way to do it.

Remember, 4 people in a squad can become 12 if you all have kubrows and specters.

Lastly, many people doing these specific missions are totally unaware of what is actually available in them . . . wikia specters, learn the details, and let's get more of this resource into the missions . . .

Hope I don't sound too preachy, would just like to see more people using them as standard . .

21 answers to this question

It will eternally bother me how the devs ruined such a great potential feature by making it too costly and not beneficial enough to bother with. When they first came out, I was absolutely sure DE would realize how absurd it was that they weren't re-usable... But that never happened. Now they're just a curious relic from a failed attempt.

It will eternally bother me how the devs ruined such a great potential feature by making it too costly and not beneficial enough to bother with. When they first came out, I was absolutely sure DE would realize how absurd it was that they weren't re-usable... But that never happened. Now they're just a curious relic from a failed attempt.

I'm still holding on to the hope that they're simply too busy to work on them.

Edited by Deetwo

Costly ? . .NOoooooooo

Like with the kubrows, financial management - credits farming - is all that is needed.

I dropped to 300k after some hefty mod upgrading but a concerted effort to rebuild finances soon had them back up to over 3 million.

Part of gaming for me is all about extracting the best from what I can get in a game, not waste time on endless wish lists.

Motivation for that ? . . . the excellence of the frame graphics. I'm a gfx @#&*( and when I sit back and look at all the little nuances of how each part of a frame moves together, skin stretching and turning for example, I can see the perfect vehicle to take into the game . . .that is, after I've pimped him/her with suitable ornaments, lol . . .

I rarely use specters due to their high price point and how annoying they are to gather, if you want certain packs you have to score certain points. And then after you make them and load them out and of course equip them its hard to justify their use with all the work one puts into  the gathering + producing. So as a result I usually end up only making use of 3 stars in T3/4 endless types with a prearranged team...

An easy solution to many gripes is to make a quest to convert these over to the Kubrow system. Thus, folks would still have to go out on missions to get the regular Xx blueprint before starting the specific quest. They wouldn't be completely the same, of course, but DNA Stabilizers, bro fist bumps, loyalty, and so on would make sense as they can be perceived as mostly 'Tenno'. In this way, the specter that does not die during the mission returns again for another round, DE can make more sales for Cryo space (in the Koobs' lockers, as folks would want many different kinds), and the Warframe universe becomes even more in-depth than it already is. ^_^

I use them quite often in survivals and defenses (More often when I solo) because any damage is good damage in my book and they draw fire.

That being said they are one time use and i don't really enjoy throwing out a cosmic specter who will most likely die after a few minutes. Also you can't heal them, making me and my Trinity/Oberon quite phased -.-

IMO Specters are viable at the moment, it's like having a pet MOA near you but you can revive it, but they need a serious amount of love right now.

No HUD of health, shields, energy or what ever to keep tabs on them.

Bugs like shooting and reloading again and again.

AI is stupid as in srsly stupid.

I can't see what damage their weapon is doing so i can't make adjustments to what weapon performs more.

I can only summon one. can't i summon like 3 when i'm doing solo?

Specter level is based on Map level. so in survivals your specter will be level 13 forever while enemies creep to level 45 in an hour.

No commands for specters, like Frosty summon a globe now!!!

Uses ability when summoned and can't use it again. why can't my energy be linked to my specter so i can just command him to use this ability and it uses my energy pool? that would be soooo cool and convenient.

They can't pick up health orbs.

And the list goes on and on.

P.S i use specters when i go solo or just need company in a mission, and based from my experience they need a lot on their plate so they can be more useful.

And if they do get all the buff they need, then Soloing can be a thing of the past since you can build your own perfect team, but the difference is that they actually obey you and follow you. Now that sounds fun for every control freak out there.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

I use them quite often in survivals and defenses (More often when I solo) because any damage is good damage in my book and they draw fire.

That being said they are one time use and i don't really enjoy throwing out a cosmic specter who will most likely die after a few minutes. Also you can't heal them, making me and my Trinity/Oberon quite phased -.-

You can't heal them? That's lame. I hear rejuvenation aura works, so maybe I should run valkyr specters for survivability?

I dislike the point reward system. I think you should have to get a different number of blueprints, not have a different type.

What is the easiest way to farm the correct number of points for Vapor Specters? I want to mass produce them so I'll actually use them and not feel guilty.

Some very valid points here which DE should look at, particularly the time a specter wastes reloading and reloading and reloading without a shot being fired.

Like another poster mentioned, I, too, use specters as a distraction . . .with a bit of thought anyone can find many situations where the specter can be used for more than just firing on the enemy . . .

Because I'm nearly always using specters I've found that the lowly vapor specter is the best return on outlay. At the other end of the scale a cosmic specter doesn't give the return for outlay.

A vapor specter can have the same kit as the one the cosmic specter has to have to reach the conclave requirements, and I don't see the cosmic specter lasting any longer than the vapor one, so the cheap option is always preferable.

At the moment I have: 2 cosmic, 16 force, 19 phase, 115 vapor . . . so plenty of cannon fodder to help proceedings along.

I accept what you have all said, but I do know from experience that the biggest bugbear when it comes to collecting specter BP's of any kind is the incompetence of the squad . . .they frequently turn what can be a very quick and smooth operation into a nightmare, which is why I do most runs solo.

I have well over 100 specters - a mix of all 4.

Hope I don't sound too preachy, would just like to see more people using them as standard . .

Nope, not too preachy. Good info and I agree with most of what you said. Hook me up in game, if you like, and we can farm those specters together.

For me and a lot of people out there, specters are overshadowed by Kubrows and Sentinels. They offer far more potential than specters have to offer. I don't even bother crafting one and didn't feel missing out anything important. I rarely see one nowadays.

You make it sound like you have to choose between the two.  Which you don't. Sounds like "I don't bring a pistol because I already have a rifle". You can have kubrow/sentinel AND any specter of your choosing...

1- use specters as a distraction .

2-  incompetence of the squad . .  is why I do most runs solo.

1. exactly. The great thing about a team is that the enemy has other objects to shoot at. As such, they are also a MUCH better version of Loki's Decoy.. just saying...

2. Exactly that. Like I said, hook up w/me in game. farm some bp's. Agree on a strategy and farmfarmfarmVOIDfarmfarmfarm :p