Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Riot Shield

Kahruvel

Have a shield the same way the shield lancers do?
First of all, there's a tiny slot in the shield lancer's shield you can shoot through, so it's not 100% bulletproof. Pretty sure you can also still get them in the feet/knees and over the top of the shield as well. Second of all, in order for this to be any kind of useful, you'd have to not be being flanked, and at that point if you need to regen your shields just duck behind something. And having a point man use it would rely on teammates being smart enough to take cover behind him and patient enough to wait for his slow &#! to push up.

Overall, no. It fits the Grineer faction because they're bulky, slow-moving space marines which have circles run around them by even the slowest of Tenno warframes.

A defense frame? maybe. With higher speed so he is not the last one ^^

Yeah, I think it would be pretty cool. If he had powers like shield buffs, shield drains, the riot/energy shield, and maybe some knockdown or other crowd control (or even a sentry turret?). Slightly above average speed and average health, with higher than average shields would round out the class. he could be the engineer Tenno.

I was thinking that the Shield Lancer carry the big heavy metal plate because he doesn't have the cool self-regenerating energy shields that Warframes and Heavy units have? Why go back down the evolutional path?

Perhaps the seldom used block action could be used instead. E.g. If carrying a big melee weapon like a block sword (e.g. take the gram, tripple the width of the blade), it can be used as a shield when blocking. For lighter weapons, maybe we can do cool things like using the weapons to parry bullets????? (wow...) The main idea is to make the block do what shields will do, but in the style of the equipped melee weapon. Could be more interesting (though it may not change game mechanics beyond visuals)

I was thinking that the Shield Lancer carry the big heavy metal plate because he doesn't have the cool self-regenerating energy shields that Warframes and Heavy units have? Why go back down the evolutional path?

This^

I mean. you want a shield to protect your shield to protect your life? Genius.....

Ninja never used a Shield, the shadows was their shield. A riot shield is too much of a military/police weapon/defense mechanic, not meant for ninja.

but now people will say that we already have shotguns and the other non ninja stuff.....

I mean sure. We got this stuff. But do we really have to create a shield hiding ninja? We already have a superior energy shield.

A riot shield is completely useless....

A shield wouldn't be useless if it could be used for deflecting fire. You just run forward with it up and all ranged projectiles deflect back at the attackers.

I know this topic was inspired by seeing the Grineer riot shields, but the Tenno would need their own spin on it. Maybe even make it able to throw and rebound like Captain America. So it would be tap to throw and hold to deflect.

Riot shield no..... big square plate of metal wouldnt suit the warframes..........but.... a melee shield that u can both atk like a blade but blocks better than a blade, something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&biw=1680&bih=959&tbm=isch&tbnid=UElp7M9z-wkM3M:&imgrefurl=http://www.giantbomb.com/genma-onimusha/3030-10990/&docid=KARPY2Ovsz229M&imgurl=http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/2/29889/1056462-09.jpg&w=2789&h=2362&ei=MC9xUZ2BB-eG0AXcqIHACQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:9,s:0,i:110&iact=rc&dur=1334&page=1&tbnh=179&tbnw=224&start=0&ndsp=38&tx=93&ty=61

couldnt find anything better but yea simply a big wide melee weapon that covers most of ur arm with an attached blade, would block more and more longer than other melee blocks, but less damg or slower atk.

Shields would be an interesting idea.

I remember seeing a sci-fi mecha verse (I think these were Muv-Luv Alternative VNs), where you had melee shields designed with a sort of claw/panel at the bottom that allowed them to be used as melee weapon in desperation, and were laced with reaction armor...or however you call that tank stuff that's meant to explode on RPG hit.

Perhaps, a shield could have an "active" and "passive" modes - In active the Tenno raises the shield, increasing your armor and shield regen, and allowing for a very powerful shield bash. However, you'd be limited to your side arm while doing it, and no wall-sliding/jumping. In passive mode Tenno moves and can use all weapons/abilities normally, and can use it as a basic melee attack, but weaker in base dmg. output compared to a "real" melee weapon.

Doesnt fit with the space ninja theme..

*Glances at Rhino* Very ninja like, that one is. 

*Looks at Hek and Gorgon* Ahh, the weapons of a true stealth master. 

It would be an interesting twist to the game play mechanic. For those saying it wouldn't be like "ninja," people should remember how romanticized our view of ninja are. Ninja were simply rogue samurai that were dedicated to their mission to the point of putting it before honor (hit and run, etc)...they did what was necessary to kill their target and if it means making holes with a Hek or brain bashing with a riot shield, a true ninja would do it. 

Lore does support this with the mission on Ceres where you have to kill a Grineer who is close to a Tenno colony and the objective is to kill him at all costs. 

Edited by Steemship

Steemship, on 19 Apr 2013 - 4:08 PM, said:

*Glances at Rhino* Very ninja like, that one is.

*Looks at Hek and Gorgon* Ahh, the weapons of a true stealth master.

It would be an interesting twist to the game play mechanic. For those saying it wouldn't be like "ninja," people should remember how romanticized our view of ninja are. Ninja were simply rogue samurai that were dedicated to their mission to the point of putting it before honor (hit and run, etc)...they did what was necessary to kill their target and if it means making holes with a Hek or brain bashing with a riot shield, a true ninja would do it.

Lore does support this with the mission on Ceres where you have to kill a Grineer who is close to a Tenno colony and the objective is to kill him at all costs.

TENNO.... MASTER OF SWORD AND GUN

I`ve seen nothing about hiding behind a shield? You?

Twist in game mechanic xD Yeah. Walking like a turtle through missions to protect the actual shield that protects your life. What a twist....

Edited by Venarge

When discussing the riot shield idea with some friends, the first thing one of them brought up was actually the earlier suggestion of a Warframe specifically tailored towards using a riot shield. I think that'd be better than an actual weapon, come to think of it. It'd allow the abilities to revolve around the shield itself.

Oh, and Venarge... I'll say this as politely as possible.

You're welcome to disagree with the idea, but your posts so far lack tact and are oftentimes passive-aggressive or sarcastic. Please tone it down. We get it, you don't like the shields, but you can be nice about it. There are rules about things like this, and they are not suggestions.

Edited by Kahruvel

TENNO.... MASTER OF SWORD AND GUN

I`ve seen nothing about hiding behind a shield? You?

Twist in game mechanic xD Yeah. Walking like a turtle through missions to protect the actual shield that protects your life. What a twist....

Fireballs aren't swords or guns.

Mind control isn't a sword or gun. 

Avalanches aren't swords or guns.

Warframes are flexible, and do much more than just use a sword or gun.

An energy shield type weapon/ frame power would be really nifty. I'd go for the idea of Volts shield becoming movable.

Frames already have lots of shields. Frosts snow globes, Rhinos iron skin, Volts shield. Even embers second ability has a blocking effect [i think.]

Edit: Nyx's Ultimate is also a blocking effect.

We have a bunch of shields already and they aren't being decried as 'not ninja-like.' Why not add a few more and allow for better teamwork?

Edited by HAVELTHEROCK

First off, for the people whining about this idea.

Volt has a shield, while not moveable, it's there none-the-less.

This would be an interesting idea, Have the shield have an 'ammo' capacity, the more damage it takes, the lower the ammo goes. And when it goes out, the shield breaks. assuming it's and energy shield, it could recharge over time, or you could use pick ups to recharge it. Of course hulking around a bit shield should be able to limit mobility a bit. No fancy moves, like sliding and the performing a melee. Maybe a lower walk speed. Stuff like that.

it' would be a really cool concept, I'd like to see it applied.

First off, for the people whining about this idea.

Volt has a shield, while not moveable, it's there none-the-less.

This would be an interesting idea, Have the shield have an 'ammo' capacity, the more damage it takes, the lower the ammo goes. And when it goes out, the shield breaks. assuming it's and energy shield, it could recharge over time, or you could use pick ups to recharge it. Of course hulking around a bit shield should be able to limit mobility a bit. No fancy moves, like sliding and the performing a melee. Maybe a lower walk speed. Stuff like that.

it' would be a really cool concept, I'd like to see it applied.

Ok. Lets assume Im a Tenno. My warframe has a great energy source and is capable to create a giant energy shield. Why would I want to be less mobile/less fast and less powerful? To protect something that is actually supposed to be the real shield? Really?

The only way I see this happen is that the actual frame shield will be transformed into this energy thingy and protect your team mates. But a shield to protect your shield? Not really.....

I like the idea of a frame based around using a projected energy shield (in terms of style, perhaps something inspired by the Jackal energy shields from halo?). Maybe have him able to 1)charge and shield bash, taking reduced damage while charging2)deploy cover (sorta like Volt's energy shield, except you can't shoot through it, but it lasts slightly longer.) 3) Project an energy shield, then throw it causing it to bounce between enemies before coming back to you (optionally stun?) 4) Activate the shield to become temporarily invulnerable to attacks from the front and unstaggerable, while giving the ability to knockdown enemies you. Where 1 can only knock down one targeted enemy, 4 could give you the ability to plow through enemies.

1,3,4 could do subpar damage in return for the knockdown/stuns.

Ok, lets think about other powers a shield based frame could have, do we go full offensive powers? Use the shield and its supporting powers as room clearing tanks? Or do we design it as a support/ engineering class (as I suggested earlier) and have AoE support and Area Denial abilities? 

Just a revamp of my earlier post...

Instead of adding a new "shield" mechanics, improve the "defence/block" system.

I.e. allow the melee "weapon" to be used in defensive form suitable to their kind.

Under this system, the "Shield" will be a sort of heavy melee WEAPON, that you can use to bash/slice (if the edges are made to cut) but when used in "block" mode under the current system, it will hold the "shield" like a ... well. shield to block incoming fire.

In this respect, the current block system could be improved as well, for example the other suitable heavy weapon with wide enough bodies can be used stationary shield style (the area blocked will be less than a full shield), the thinner heavy weapons can perhaps be swung in defence (less effective than shield as shots can still go through)

For the light weapons, perhaps there can be a parry mode, where it will try to parry incoming shots (obviously, less effective than shield-style defence weapons and also perhaps uses more stamina... but would be cool to watch as a Warframe slices and deflects incoming bullets while charging at a target)

Riot Shield on Loki> Invisilibity> SURPRISE SHIELD BASH MOTHERF*CKER! Also Volt/Loki running around at max sped bashing everything. Also don't get why everyone instantly thinks CoD on mention of riot shield. I don't know too many games, but I'm pretty sure Counterstrike had it before. Next thing you know there'll be a suggestion for a sticky grenade, and everyone'll be like OMG COD SEMTEX when halo plasma grenades came way earlier (and maybe some other games before that too).

So it seems everyone's concept of the shield is 'Let's hunch behind this tiny piece of metal and shuffle around'.

Imagine Volt walk into a room, Grineer  at the far end, behind cover and firing on him. He throws up his electro-shield and starts to move it around with him. His palm out, back straight with a prideful posture. Of course he can't -run- with it. But he can speedwalk to the grineer, their bullets deflecting off the transparent barrier.

A lot better, isn't it? If you want an entire warframe dedicated to it, that'd be easier to balance (Due to not having to account for the powers of ALL frames.)

A melee or primary slotted item would simply be a palm mounted device that needs to be fed ammo of some sort (Even energy?) Before it burns out.

^ This gives you the freedom to use the shield to keep moving to some degree, without giving you an infinite invincibility barrier.

Anyone else who blurts out 'DATS NOT A NINJA THING!1one1!" needs to open their mind and try and see further than their own nose.