Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scoliac Vs Atterax: A Case Of Whiplash

RiouHotaru

Har har with the title, I know, but I was feeling silly this morning.  Anyway, I got started making the Atterax, because (and I'll be honest) I love the whip weapons.  I used the Lecta back in Melee 1.0 and was quite disappointed because the old system just didn't do much for the poor guy.

Then came Melee 2.0, stances, and the Scoliac, and I found my Saryn's preferred weapon of choice!  With the new event, came the inclusion on the market of a THIRD Whip.  At first glance, I found myself a touch worried that the Scoliac would find itself outclassed by it's newest competition.  So I decided to do a little comparison between the two and see what I could uncover.

Scoliac's numbers are on the left, and Atterax is on the right:

(I am aware I left out slide attacks and jump attacks.  I'm just comparing normal damage numbers and stats since that's not what I primarily use whips for)

Damage

Impact: 8.3 -- 2.3

Puncture: 8.3 -- 2.3

Slash: 38.5 -- 40.5

Assorted Stats

Crit Chance: 5% -- 25%

Crit Multiplier: 150% -- 300%

Status Chance: 15% -- 20%

Attack Speed: 1.3 -- 0.9

So, based on these numbers alone, I'd say the Atterax, while not stricly better, certainly gives the Scoliac a run for it's money.  For starters, the Atterax is begging for a Berserker mod, while the Scolac only needs Fury.  In addition, the fact the Atterax has a whopping 3x multiplier, on top of having a status chance worthy of a status build as well.

I've no idea what polarity it uses for it's stance (I'm hoping Coiling Viper, because Tumbling King would give it obscene mobility when combined with Berserker's speed bonus), but I think it might, MIGHT, replace my Dual Ichors on my Valkyr for her Warcry build.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Discovered the stance polarity, it's a D slot, meaning Burning Wasp.  Not my favorite whip stance, BUT it's base attack combo and Sparking Torture both hit over wide areas, giving more chances to proc crits for Berserker.

Overall, the Scoliac has more base damage, and greater mobility (Coiling Viper) and the Atterax has greater potential damage and shreds mobs apart (Burning Wasp).

Edited by RiouHotaru

There's only really 1 question here: Can it 'copter?

Well, 'coptering is based on attack speed, so at 0.9?  It's nowhere NEAR the 'coptering potential of the Scoliac, unfortunately.

i want a Tenno whip...

I'd say that has to be coming up sometime soon, I mean we literally have one whip for each faction now.

Berserker atterax is kind of a waste, it won't outspeed scoliac so it isn't breaking any ground there. 

Focus it on raw damage, max those crit stats. 

You can still do that.  Usually I always go Fury + Spoiled Strike on my melee weapons (10% Attack speed and 100% base damage bonus), but on a weapon with such a high crit-rate, I can forego Fury and use Berserker, since a single crit starts stacking Berserker.  While it's not a permanent buff, 90% bonus attack speed for 24 seconds is nothing to scoff at, and Spoiled Strike improves base damage.

Toss on the new Slash damage event mod for an Infested build and you can mow through them like a scythe through wheat.

Edited by RiouHotaru

Not always. Obex and Kronen both boast 1.2~ attack speed, but a Glaive with 1.1~ attack speed will 'copter twice as far.

Huh, never tried coptering with any of those, well, save the Kronen and you come to a dead halt after a second of spinning.  I know the Scoliac has a 1.3 and can send you across the map long as you don't hit anything.

Assuming the weapon shares the same animations as the Scoliac/Lecta, I'd say that no, the Atterax isn't a better 'copter than the Scoliac.

Guys just a question,in any way is the Atterax better than dual ichor or dual zoren?

In terms of damage?  I'm not sure.  Stance-wise it's also hard to say (since dual zoren and ichor should be using Swirling tiger for maximum hits), but the whips normal combos hit over a wide area around you, while the Ichor and Zoren can utterly shred single targets and bunched up groups.

It's a situational issue.

Even though Atterax may not be as fast as Scoliac, with crit mods and Berserker, it is possible that Atterax has higher DPS than Scoliac.

Atterax looks like a good weapon.

But I really think Scoliac should be more different from Atterax. Maybe add some more toxin/corrosive damage.

Even though Atterax may not be as fast as Scoliac, with crit mods and Berserker, it is possible that Atterax has higher DPS than Scoliac.

Atterax looks like a good weapon.

But I really think Scoliac should be more different from Atterax. Maybe add some more toxin/corrosive damage.

Yeah, the Scoliac definitely has more consistent damage, and higher base damage, but the Atterax's crits, especially with that multiplier, would be ridiculous.  However, the max Crit Chance with just True Steel is 40%, and neither of the whip stances consist of multi-hitting attacks the way Swirling Tiger does for the Zoren/Ichor.

Also, with a 20% status chance, you could go a hybrid crit/status build.

Hmm. I might still use the Scoliac on my Saryn purely for the copter, since having a reliable speed boost is helpful ona  frame as slow as her. But I will admit that those crit stats on the Atterax/meat grinder look might tasty.

Scoliac should get some innate Corrosive or Toxin damage and a high status chance, maybe, to offset it more from the Atterax at this point.

Nobody cares oh wait... exploiters.

Why do people take such offense to coptering?

Rhetorical question. I know why.

fixed that for you

Putting words in DE's mouth huh

It's a part of the game. You don't have to do it, and other people doing it doesn't detract from your fun in any way. Unless you get all hot and bothered by people zipping around the map, of course, in which case you just have to deal with it.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I just love the cute little noise it makes when its equipped. ^_^

It helps to imagine the two spots on the handle as two little eyes of the weapon and it saying "can I plz go cutty cutty slash slash grind on that Grineer over there plz??" "pwetty plz?"

I think I'm in love. (Dem unranked 900 damage crits)

(Obligatory - Holy Sh*t guys I'm faling for a bladed whip weapon. Send halp)

Hrm... Ill have to give it a go. Im usually not in love with whips because they have so few combos, and the combos are kinda lackluster visually and in terms of damage.

Regardless, Ill have to give this one a go. I used the lecta not too long ago and was pretty dissapointed (probably cuz i didnt potatoe I guess), but I like the way this one looks.

Atterax butchers in the future, anyone?

Hrm... Ill have to give it a go. Im usually not in love with whips because they have so few combos, and the combos are kinda lackluster visually and in terms of damage.

Regardless, Ill have to give this one a go. I used the lecta not too long ago and was pretty dissapointed (probably cuz i didnt potatoe I guess), but I like the way this one looks.

Atterax butchers in the future, anyone?

Hmm, that could be cool. To me, the Atterax looks like something Grineer interrogators would use during torture. Maybe some kind of stealth mission where we'd have to rescue an informant and we'd fight an Inquisitor miniboss equipepd with an Atterax and some special abilities?