Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Lotus Herself

AralynThorn

I've been sitting on this for a LONG time, just to see if anything might get changed from day one when I started playing.  In fact, some of the things that I heard/witnessed, got worse! So, without further ado, here we go.  As an intelligence/support/command operative, the Lotus (expletive deleted many times) *ahem* just doesn't measure up to the Tenno skills and needs.  There are certainly some pieces of information she gives that are crucial, say, during new alerts, or during new Operations and so forth. That's fine.  Her help during the new three Quests is also helpful and maintains the atmosphere well.

But then we get into the missions. Great, give me the initial objective.  Tell me if the objective changes.  But, OMG - "Keep looking, the X is around here somewhere"?  Thanks for the tip.  Let's see, I'm on a Grineer ship, my mission is to extermininate the Grineer, "There are marines on their way. It's the Grineer" WTH?! No kidding? I was expecting maybe some cross-game invaders like Xenomorphs or something? Now, if it was an announcement that the Corpus or a sudden Infestation were on its way, THAT would be helpful information. Or tell me from which direction the party was coming from!  "Heavy bio-signatures ahead,we've got Infested incoming." No, really?  On an Infestation Defense mission?  You're kidding, right?

And recently, I have noticed that on some Infested missions she calls them Grineer and I go, hey, that's different.  I look around, expecting to see Grineer, but no, there's Infested, of course.  Bad intel gets Tenno killed. Thanks Lotus.=P

Is there a way to send in a Tenno Tech team to like run a diagnostic on her and fix some of those cables bouncing around out of her melon? Please?  It sort of detracts from the suspension of disbelief when your main source of information programmed in the game can't get it right but you the player can.

Edited by AralynThorn

The Conflagration hears your cries, and while the wisdom of the Lotus is invaluable to some extent, in this time of war her efforts to preserve balance will cost more Tenno lives than any of us should be willing to give when if we wage this war as a war is to be fought we could save so many more.

Raise your weapons and prepare for war, brothers and sisters of the blade and gun, for the time has come again for us to remind the system what we truly: warriors, born of the Void and raised for battle.

---

OC-RPing aside, I think that while a lot of what the Lotus does offer to us seems repetitive and unnecessary over time, there's only so much information she COULD give to us without it turning into a "now push this button when you're ready, Tenno, no? Okay, I'll push it for you" - that is to say, holding the players hand and treating them like they couldn't do anything on their own.

But it also doesn't mean that there should be LESS of her, since if all she showed up to do was provide us with a quick "this is why you're here" briefing at the start and congratulations at the end she would seem even MORE ineffectual. Why is she even here if that's all she's going to do for us? In her current state, barring whatever additions need to be made as the game continues to grow, she is un-intrusive but also is present enough to continue to provide a backing to the story idea that the Tenno need her help (or at least someone's help >.>, support the multiple-announcers idea!)

While I agree the Lotus needs another makeover to add personality/immersion, I think a clear, detailed, brief list of changes that we want should be created. I'll start a thread tonight on my thoughts. Keep an eye out for it.

I shall try, though if you sent me a quick PM about it, that would also be nice.=)

The Conflagration hears your cries, and while the wisdom of the Lotus is invaluable to some extent, in this time of war her efforts to preserve balance will cost more Tenno lives than any of us should be willing to give when if we wage this war as a war is to be fought we could save so many more.

Raise your weapons and prepare for war, brothers and sisters of the blade and gun, for the time has come again for us to remind the system what we truly: warriors, born of the Void and raised for battle.

---

OC-RPing aside, I think that while a lot of what the Lotus does offer to us seems repetitive and unnecessary over time, there's only so much information she COULD give to us without it turning into a "now push this button when you're ready, Tenno, no? Okay, I'll push it for you" - that is to say, holding the players hand and treating them like they couldn't do anything on their own.

But it also doesn't mean that there should be LESS of her, since if all she showed up to do was provide us with a quick "this is why you're here" briefing at the start and congratulations at the end she would seem even MORE ineffectual. Why is she even here if that's all she's going to do for us? In her current state, barring whatever additions need to be made as the game continues to grow, she is un-intrusive but also is present enough to continue to provide a backing to the story idea that the Tenno need her help (or at least someone's help >.>, support the multiple-announcers idea!)

Very nice flavor text up top there.=)

It's not the repetitiveness, or the unnecessity, and I agree she should be present all through any given mission, after all, she is the Tenno's only contact to, well, anything.  Tenno don't talk (the players of Tenno do, but space ninja just don't), so well, that emptiness is gratefully filled with Lotus-speak.  But honestly, just say, "There's a squad of marines headed your way" That's fine! She can say that all she likes, But not add, "It's the Grineer" if I'm on a bloody Grineer ship or in one of their outposts? And I honestly don't expect her to say things like press button X, come on sweetie, you can do it or anything - but "It's around here somewhere" isn't helpful if I'm engaged in combat as well as headed in the direction of the objective. I mean, I can see the marker on my map unless I turn it all off and just search blind - THEN her comment helps a little? Not really. After all, somewhere is the entire map. See?  I want her to be there, I just don't want her to sound inane.

Okay, and on a more timely note, since Operation Cryotic Front (perhaps before, maybe I just didn't notice) Lotus has actually been confusing Infested and Grineer.  Like on a Grineer tiled ship with Infestation, she might slip up and say that the Grineer are coming. We look for Grineer but no, only Infested. Umm, okay.  And now, having just finished Gate Crash, it's downright dangerous.  She has, several times, mixed up which is advancing, Grineer or Infested and since Gate Crash involves both, it's kinda important to know which one is coming in case you've customized your loadout so that you have a particular weapon that does a lot of damage to one or the other; given that as the missions progress your Warframe's abilities degrade, this can be rather crucial and affect gameplay, so we're not just talking about flavor any longer.