Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can Someone Effectively Explain Status Chance?

VodnikXVI

Question

I thought I understood how it worked but it seems I see videos where people build items a certain way and to me it doesn't make any sense. It's my understanding that if the weapon has a 20% status chance that means your weapon will proc the physical damage + all elemental damage on your weapon 20% of the time.

14 answers to this question

Status chance is just a side effect. You always receive the elemental damage.

This.

Elemental damage is always applied, status chance is the chance for you to proc a special effect, i.e. electric damage proccing chain electricity, slash damage proccing bleed damage over time, etc.

So if I have let's says 243 viral damage and a 20% status that means I always have the bonus 243 damage but it being viral is the status?

That's almost correct, you'll always do that extra 243 viral damage, but you'll also have a 20% chance to proc a special effect, if viral's special effect is used when you proc it cuts the enemy's HP in half for a limited amount of time.

Wiki page on status effects and chance: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect

Edited by AXCrusnik

Because the way I built my kronen was with the 4 special elemental mods that do the 60 60 dmg/status thinking the elemental damage was only applied when it proceed so my status on the weapon is 65%...is this not the most effective way to build the weapon. BTW I have them arranged to do radiation and viral 243 each

Because the way I built my kronen was with the 4 special elemental mods that do the 60 60 dmg/status thinking the elemental damage was only applied when it proceed so my status on the weapon is 65%...is this not the most effective way to build the weapon. BTW I have them arranged to do radiation and viral 243 each

Specific elemental and physical damages are better against specific enemies, you can find these weaknesses and resistances in the Wiki or in your codex if you fully scan the enemy.

I wouldn't use all 4 status/elemental mods on my Kronen but that's just me. I have mine built with channeling, and life strike in mind for a general build, with Radiation if I fight Grineer and Corrosive if in the void for example.

Also keep in mind that some weapons deal ONLY elemental damage (like IGNIS, a flamethrower), so having them do no damage if they don't proc (and IGNIS has a low/average status chance at only 10%) would make them very... inefficient weapons.

Edited by AXCrusnik

So if I have let's says 243 viral damage and a 20% status that means I always have the bonus 243 damage but it being viral is the status?

Just to be clear, Status isn't like Critical Chance where additional bonus damage is applied once it crits/procs. Instead of additional damage, when a status chance procs, there is a chance for it to leave a special effect. At least, this is what I've found. You won't be doing a net damage of 486, if that makes sense.

What you'll end up with is on each swing of your Kronen, you'll have a:

3.25% chance to proc Impact, which staggers the target

3.25% chance to proc Puncture, which reduces the damage done by the target by ~30% for ~6 sec.

26% chance to proc Slash, which deals 35% base weapon damage as a bleed with finisher type (ignores armor, bypasses shields) for 7 ticks, one per second

16.25% chance to proc Radiation, which makes enemies confused; they target and be targeted by allies as well as enemies for ~6sec.

16.25% chance to proc Viral, which will reduce the maximum hp of the target to 50% (effectively doubling damage after the effect) for ~6sec.

Edited by Darzk

What you'll end up with is on each swing of your Kronen, you'll have a:

3.25% chance to proc Impact, which staggers the target

3.25% chance to proc Puncture, which reduces the damage done by the target by ~30% for ~6 sec.

26% chance to proc Slash, which deals 35% base weapon damage as a bleed with finisher type (ignores armor, bypasses shields) for 7 ticks, one per second

16.25% chance to proc Radiation, which makes enemies confused; they target and be targeted by allies as well as enemies for ~6sec.

16.25% chance to proc Viral, which will reduce the maximum hp of the target to 50% (effectively doubling damage after the effect) for ~6sec.

How do you know the %'s are split up that way?

It's divided by damage percentage, with at least half of the procs being physical.

Because we have at least +100% added elemental damage;

1/2 of 65% is physical, 1/2 is elemental = 32.5% each.

Slash damage is 80% of the physical damage, so it gets 80% of the physical procs -> 80%*32.5% = 26%

Impact and Puncture are 10% each of the physical damage, so they get 10% of the procs -> 10%*32.5% = 3.25% 

Rad and Viral are equal damage, so half of the 32.5% elemental procs each, or 16.25% each.

Edited by Darzk

Hmm. Jagged Edge would actually make slash proc a bit more often, so those #s are a bit off. But you got the idea, so good enough.

I would swap JE out for Fever Strike. Not only will that give you more raw damage, it'll increase the chances of a Viral proc (to 20.7%, just over 1 in 5) which is pretty helpful at higher levels.

Edit: More raw damage cause JE only adds 90% of the 80% slash, so 72% total, while FS adds 90% of the whole 100% of the base.

Edited by Darzk