Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Autotarget On Vs. Off.

Vydrach

A lot of weapons don't need autotarget on, actually, more accurately, are infinitely better without it, but some of them due to their attack moves need it on really even though it screws you a lot to have it on, but you get screwed even more with it off.

This isn't really a good system however. Earlier, using the Sheev with the Homing Fang stance, I was trying to melee against the infested in a Dark Sector Defense, trying to kill the Ancient Healer but with the autotarget on most of the attacks weren't landing and I ended up with a mountain of chargers under me trying to attack me, but instead lifting me to the heavens like a Tenno Jesus. But with it off and that attack style, you often end up going right past your targets in a manner not too unlike stepping on a banana peel and sliding off into the distance.

Can we please just get a button that we can press that just arrests forward movement a bit when attacking, autotarget just keeps you from really swinging into a group with weapons but without it sometimes you can't just stay onto a target all that well either. A button that lets you hit indiscriminately without shooting into the distance just seems a much better way, and it's not an uncommon feature in other games.

It would be great if the Crouch button could also have an effect on weapons like daggers and twin swords in the way that it does for Longswords, Silva&Aegis, Venka, etc (the ones that don't automatically set the forward motion for you as you attack, and allow you to walk or sprint while swinging as normal). We don't really need a dedicated button for forward-movement-arresting.

It would definitely require a bit of work for the animations, though, unless Crouch was just treated as a slowdown instead of actually crouch-swinging like you would with a longsword.

Edited by SortaRandom

I turn it off for every weapon. With all the time I've spent playing character action games like DMC3 I don't need any help aiming melee attacks. 

Although some of the weapons have pretty wonky hitboxes. Kronen slide attack, anyone?

The issue isn't the hitbox for the weapons I turn it on for, it's the attacks themselves generally that send you out without hitting anything unless you jerk your camera into a 180 so you slide past and come back around into the enemies. That's not a good system. It's not even a system really. Do it too much in a short period and you end up with motion sickness.

Plus, it's a bandage fix for a poor system.

The issue isn't the hitbox for the weapons I turn it on for, it's the attacks themselves generally that send you out without hitting anything unless you jerk your camera into a 180 so you slide past and come back around into the enemies. That's not a good system. It's not even a system really. Do it too much in a short period and you end up with motion sickness.

Plus, it's a bandage fix for a poor system.

Haha, that's why I have the "Attack in the Direction of the Camera" option disabled. Being able to control your melee strikes with your keyboard as well as your mouse is exhilarating; there's so much more you can do. Vindictus taught me well.

Unfortunately, it makes every Stance with those crappy "directional combos" literally unusable. Not sure what was going through the devs' minds when they implemented that, especially considering that the only weapons that use them still have other perfectly good options available (Block, Hold/Pause, etc.. Hell, even the Crouch button, provided that the user isn't sliding).

I'm still shocked by the fact that, apparently, no employee at DE plays with Attack in the Direction of the Camera disabled.

Edited by SortaRandom