Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So This Game Is Now Even More Star Wars

Earz

Anyone else notice that "Nikana" spelled backwards is "Anakin?" Sounds pretty Star-Wars-ish to me.

Even if that was the explanation behind the name of the, Nikana/Anakin, and that is a cool one, head nods, and pastiches are fine. I am more interested in, or hopeful of Warframe breaking from the tired thematic tropes. Star Wars was and is fun, but it is basically a classic adventure story that could seamlessly be set on the 17th century high seas, or wild west.

Nothing about SW is actually science fiction, a violation common to space opera. Space is just an exotic back drop and excuse to create exotic, if not usually just variations of humans, aliens and planets. However, any of the inconvenient facts of space, that are hardcore, concrete facts of reality, like the vacuum of space being a soundless void, and zero gravity being a total pain, and the light speed barrier being essentially impossible to overcome, are all ignored. A trip from one side of he galaxy to the other has to happen in roughly the same amount of time that a reasonable trip on Earth would or it break up the tension in action/adventure narratives.    

Luke could have been a rancher, and descended from King Arthur, Obi-Wan would and the Jedi would have been a weird hybrid of knights and samurai (thats because thats what Lucas based them on. Vader was even supposed to be played by a famous Japanese actor who played samurai), that have protected the world, but died out thanks to the Sith, Palpatine, and Vader. Leia, becomes an heir to an industrial empire. The evil Empire is a government of your choosing. The Death Star an Dreadnought sized Iron Clad. Etc etc. you get the point. Nothing in or about Star Wars requires space, or science fiction. Nothing about C3PO really hinges on being an android. If anything, it just gets weird, racist, and classist all of sudden. 

The reasons this is bad, is because we misconstrue the conception of outer space into something it is not. It is an environment that is not analogous to terrestrial seas. It is a vacuum, void like, empty by most conceivable units of measurement until to reach scales that are hard to contextualize. We think that a journey to aldebaran only take a few day to weeks, because the technology to surpass light speed is inevitable, because, "The FUTURE."

Maybe, maybe, just maybe, we get lucking between now and infinity and figure out some clever way to travel faster than the speed of light. But then you run into a huge can of worms in the form of unintended consequences. Time paradoxes to name one. Google problems with FTL to get a better picture.

Stealth in space. Nope.

Why?

Try hiding an burning flair in an empty industrial refrigerator, set to -40 F, while people search for using thermal goggles.

Makes me think. How would the Tenno get aboard an enemy ship. One way would be too get a bunch of debris and hide the Liset among them and launch it all at the enemy. Hope they don't blow it all up, you included. Just a thought. Remember, Optics in space are very, very good, and Laser are, well laser accurate. Who have to stay miles, upon miles away to even hope they will be inaccurate. Depending on the size and scale of the weapon sweet you might have to be literally millions of miles away. We currently fire lasers at reflector on the moon. To be fair this isn't a weapons grade beam, and it unfocused into a 20 food radius around the reflector, but its hitting its target, ON THE MOON!

Space Fighters, in space. Nope.

Not likely, as space in not analogous to air to air dog fighting. Star Wars based its battles on WW2 movies.

For that matter, space ships that are designed after naval ships. Nope. To be fair, Not all ships in Warframe seem to follow this pattern, but some do.

So, why don't I have a problem with the Tenno and the space ninja magic? Because the void and TechnoCyte is the one piece of handwavium that I am willing to let slide, and when going post-human the sky is the limit. In some ways, within reason a modified human has the potential to be superhuman like some comic book characters. But, even if you are a single human being with the ability to unleash a tomahawk cruise missile level of destruction at a moments notice, you still got to get to the enemy through space, and that means crossing millions of miles of cold vacuum through a net of defense that can turn a small mountain into slag. Figuring out how to tell stories given these serious condition would be more interesting than the simple magic stealth. As I have said before, the Solar Rails may not implicitly violate the speed of light, and almost any level of .C speeds (percentage of light speed) would make interplanetary travel very fast. (1% * the speed of light =6,706,166.29 miles per hour)

The list goes on. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceFiction

I would just like to se somebody explore interesting science fiction, and speculative fiction ideas, especially through the medium of video games. Is it fair to ask DE to take the risk of stepping from the tried and true cliche ridden genre fiction? No.

Even if that was the explanation behind the name of the, Nikana/Anakin, and that is a cool one, head nods, and pastiches are fine. I am more interested in, or hopeful of Warframe breaking from the tired thematic tropes. Star Wars was and is fun, but it is basically a classic adventure story that could seamlessly be set on the 17th century high seas, or wild west.

Nothing about SW is actually science fiction, a violation common to space opera. Space is just an exotic back drop and excuse to create exotic, if not usually just variations of humans, aliens and planets. However, any of the inconvenient facts of space, that are hardcore, concrete facts of reality, like the vacuum of space being a soundless void, and zero gravity being a total pain, and the light speed barrier being essentially impossible to overcome, are all ignored. A trip from one side of he galaxy to the other has to happen in roughly the same amount of time that a reasonable trip on Earth would or it break up the tension in action/adventure narratives.    

Luke could have been a rancher, and descended from King Arthur, Obi-Wan would and the Jedi would have been a weird hybrid of knights and samurai (thats because thats what Lucas based them on. Vader was even supposed to be played by a famous Japanese actor who played samurai), that have protected the world, but died out thanks to the Sith, Palpatine, and Vader. Leia, becomes an heir to an industrial empire. The evil Empire is a government of your choosing. The Death Star an Dreadnought sized Iron Clad. Etc etc. you get the point. Nothing in or about Star Wars requires space, or science fiction. Nothing about C3PO really hinges on being an android. If anything, it just gets weird, racist, and classist all of sudden. 

The reasons this is bad, is because we misconstrue the conception of outer space into something it is not. It is an environment that is not analogous to terrestrial seas. It is a vacuum, void like, empty by most conceivable units of measurement until to reach scales that are hard to contextualize. We think that a journey to aldebaran only take a few day to weeks, because the technology to surpass light speed is inevitable, because, "The FUTURE."

Maybe, maybe, just maybe, we get lucking between now and infinity and figure out some clever way to travel faster than the speed of light. But then you run into a huge can of worms in the form of unintended consequences. Time paradoxes to name one. Google problems with FTL to get a better picture.

Stealth in space. Nope.

Why?

Try hiding an burning flair in an empty industrial refrigerator, set to -40 F, while people search for using thermal goggles.

Makes me think. How would the Tenno get aboard an enemy ship. One way would be too get a bunch of debris and hide the Liset among them and launch it all at the enemy. Hope they don't blow it all up, you included. Just a thought. Remember, Optics in space are very, very good, and Laser are, well laser accurate. Who have to stay miles, upon miles away to even hope they will be inaccurate. Depending on the size and scale of the weapon sweet you might have to be literally millions of miles away. We currently fire lasers at reflector on the moon. To be fair this isn't a weapons grade beam, and it unfocused into a 20 food radius around the reflector, but its hitting its target, ON THE MOON!

Not likely, as space in not analogous to air to air dog fighting. Star Wars based its battles on WW2 movies.

For that matter, space ships that are designed after naval ships. Nope. To be fair, Not all ships in Warframe seem to follow this pattern, but some do.

So, why don't I have a problem with the Tenno and the space ninja magic? Because the void and TechnoCyte is the one piece of handwavium that I am willing to let slide, and when going post-human the sky is the limit. In some ways, within reason a modified human has the potential to be superhuman like some comic book characters. But, even if you are a single human being with the ability to unleash a tomahawk cruise missile level of destruction at a moments notice, you still got to get to the enemy through space, and that means crossing millions of miles of cold vacuum through a net of defense that can turn a small mountain into slag. Figuring out how to tell stories given these serious condition would be more interesting than the simple magic stealth. As I have said before, the Solar Rails may not implicitly violate the speed of light, and almost any level of .C speeds (percentage of light speed) would make interplanetary travel very fast. (1% * the speed of light =6,706,166.29 miles per hour)

I would just like to se somebody explore interesting science fiction, and speculative fiction ideas, especially through the medium of video games. Is it fair to ask DE to take the risk of stepping from the tried and true cliche ridden genre fiction? No.

There's plenty of works that explore speculative fictional ideas. You just have to get off your lazy &#! and search them out.

Stealth in space. Nope.

Why?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife

Hours of my life.  Wasted.  AGAIN!

But no, as much fun as it might be for science fiction to work with what CAN be, we as Human beings simply don't know enough yet about space travel and other potential technologies, and the common player will know far less than that.  It would boil down to techno-babble anyway, because viewers are morons.

Just gonna sit here and wait for my lightsabers now. And AT-ATs. And the Samuel L(otus). Jackson voice pack. And Yoda. Definitely Yoda.

Have fun waiting.

Samuel already sells his voice to Heroes of Newerth, so no.

The Grineer-cloning stuff was also known for ages, it's just we will get to see some of the actual process as soon as U15 arrives.

Archwing reminds me more of Mobile Suit Gundam than anything else.

0 Star Wars points from me (okay, may be 0.5, if the backwards-spoken nikanA would count, but it doesn't as the pre-quels are the realm of nightmares) .

Edited by RedEyedRaven

There's plenty of works that explore speculative fictional ideas. You just have to get off your lazy @$$ and search them out.

I have read a fare share of speculative fiction. And its is an improvement that such a category exists, but it hasn't even come close to penetrating the entrenched genres. I am also not saying that Warframe need be pure speculative fiction, or even hardcore science fiction. Just that it take a few more steps in the direction it already has, and really do something interesting. It just something I would like to see, and have no great expectations for.