Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Lore So Far And A Little Bit'o'theory

reltats

No matter your view on the lore of what a Tenno actually is there are a few things we know for sure.

we'll start with the body inside the frame

The body is infected with the tennocite virus, which is an offshoot of the infestation. What we don't know for sure is the early symptoms (if dark sector lore is correct it leads to somewhat freakish mutations of body parts, so we can assume anyone infected will become an instant pariah, what we don't know, regardless of if it is correct, is that if those infected with it can spread it or the normal infestation) However simply getting the tennocite virus is not enough for one to become what we know as the tenno, an other thing we know for sure is that the tennocite virus mutated after those infected with it spent time in the void (The amount of time is unknown) [This is know from ember codex entry, the child was ember, not the woman who was burned]. What is know is that the tenno were at some point pulled from the void by the orokin and they built the warframes for them, so they could fight the sentients (which almost nothing is know about).

We do not know what became of the minds of those with the mutated tennocite virus after being put in the void, I follow the ghost in the shell theory as to what the tenno themselves are and how we can control multiple frames as one entity (Which was hinted at in Vors Prize, but not explicitly stated as correct). This theory basically states that the warframes (and thus bodies in them) have little to no mental function on their own, and that the Tenno somehow inhabit these bodies. Given what we know it's entirely probable that the Orokin somehow knew of the power the tennocite/void exposed bodies could hold and not only built the frames around these bodies but the minds to inhabit them as well.

We also do not know for sure how the bodies reacted to the frames put on them, but as was hinted during The Hunt for (s)Alad V and what we can see on Valkyr it seems highly probable that the bodies fused with the frames put onto them.

Side note on the ghost in the shell/orokin making the tenno mind theory. Yes I do think that the bodies/warframes originally had minds of their own, but they were capable of little more than toddlers and the orokin had no use for minds as weak as those in a war, so they either overwrote their minds, somehow “pushed” them out, or just plan nuked the brains of them and replaced them with the sociopathic tenno minds we know now. However for whatever reason the tenno were somehow aware of these orignal minds and felt something for it that lead to a hate of the Orokin, which is what lead to our slaughter of them.

Edited by reltats

i dont agree really even that your theory is really good

all what i understand from "things" like vor is that they are there to provoke

whatever this provocations may be or sound like: im a tenno and i really dont care. i eliminate them, thats why im in warframe and this is what i do :-)

i dont agree really even that your theory is really good

all what i understand from "things" like vor is that they are there to provoke

whatever this provocations may be or sound like: im a tenno and i really dont care. i eliminate them, thats why im in warframe and this is what i do :-)

Its not exactly a personal theory as much as it is lore that you find out through playing the game. Anything beyond that could be a theory, but most of what was presented was actual lore taken right out of the game.

No matter your view on the lore of what a Tenno actually is there are a few things we know for sure.

we'll start with the body inside the frame

The body is infected with the tennocite virus

First fact, first mistake. This is implied by the idea that Dark Sector and Warframe are related, but there is nowhere in the game you can find it written.

First fact, first mistake. This is implied by the idea that Dark Sector and Warframe are related, but there is nowhere in the game you can find it written.

Minus the fact that the Devs have said that the two are 100% related. Therefore we can extrapolate lore from DS and apply it to Warframe where it fits.

Devs have confirmed on numerous occasions that Dark Sector and Warframe share the same universe. Warframe takes place in the far future of Dark Sector. The many naming conventions, cosmetics, and callbacks to the original Dark Sector game only serve to bolster this.

Minus the fact that the Devs have said that the two are 100% related. Therefore we can extrapolate lore from DS and apply it to Warframe where it fits.

First they said there was no real relation, warframe was "what dark sector should have been". Then it turned to be that they are somehow related but warframe was set waaaay later than dark sector.

This game has no real Lore as it should, just a lot of little facts spread through the codex, game text and spoken lines from Lotus and enemies, and some of those facts are even opposed each other. DE does not give lore, just some hints so we think "ahh, then I must get the pieces together" when in fact we don't even have the corner of the image to start solving the puzzle. That leaves them free to ignore making a proper Lore, wich could be restrictive.

I'll say it again - there are no evidences of "infestation is Technocyte virus", "Hayden Tenno was the first tenno", "inside the warframe armor there is a person/technocyte victim/void twisted person/energy/whatever". Just a common universe with a previous game and some minor facts in codex and DE declarations.

You can theorize as long as you want, but you have no proof. What I want is something promised MONTHS ago.

I - WANT - REAL - LORE - BY - DE.

Edited by Kachocalvo

First they said there was no real relation, warframe was "what dark sector should have been". Then it turned to be that they are somehow related but warframe was set waaaay later than dark sector.

This game has no real Lore as it should, just a lot of little facts spread through the codex, game text and spoken lines from Lotus and enemies, and some of those facts are even opposed each other. DE does not give lore, just some hints so we think "ahh, then I must get the pieces together" when in fact we don't even have the corner of the image to start solving the puzzle. That leaves them free to ignore making a proper Lore, wich could be restrictive.

The Devs have indeed stated that Warframe is what they wanted Dark Sector to be, however, when they first pitched the game, it was heavily modified and edited into what is today known as Dark Sector. Since they have creative reign this time around, they are making the game they always wanted Dark Sector to be, and have decided to set it in the future of Dark Sector's events.

"infestation is Technocyte virus", "Hayden Tenno was the first tenno", "inside the warframe armor there is a person/technocyte victim/void twisted person/energy/whatever". Just a common universe with a previous game and some minor facts in codex and DE declarations.

You can theorize as long as you want, but you have no proof. What I want is something promised MONTHS ago.

I - WANT - REAL - LORE - BY - DE.

"infestation is Technocyte virus"

Dark sector;

"Hayden Tenno was the first tenno"

Dark sector and devs;

"inside the warframe armor there is a person/technocyte victim/void twisted person/energy/whatever"

Ember codex, Excalibur codex, and vors prize;

Most of this thread is just picking up the scraps of lore we have and fitting them together with a bit'o'theory. as stated.

But yes, DE really does need to put a lot more lore in-game

Edited by reltats

As you said, that are just scraps. We cannot get the full image just by that, putting them togheter does not tell anything. You need to create a theory in which those scraps fit, and as seen in this forums, there are many posibilities. That's not Lore, that's a conpiracy theory blog.

As you said, that are just scraps. We cannot get the full image just by that, putting them togheter does not tell anything. You need to create a theory in which those scraps fit, and as seen in this forums, there are many posibilities. That's not Lore, that's a conpiracy theory blog.

We can get a basic image, thats why this thread is here. so theory can be discussed on what could fill the remaining gaps. because lets face it, forums are warframes end-game and some of us like to discuss this kind of thing

In terms of story, Dark Sector strikes me as bad, as a cancer that might hold Warframe back in terms of space-operatic gunslinging sci-fi.

I think DE probably agrees with me, that the alterations to the original story into a gritty monochromatic [insert last-gen intro title here] clone with an honestly obnoxious protagonist and no redeeming features except the little sneaky bits from DE themselves must be cast aside.

Perhaps (Opinion not fact) we can still have Hayden, but his transformation into the supposed Orokin messiah can be a little different. It could take place in a Corpus-run near future, have him face off against Alad 1 as an I-see-what-you-did-there, let DE control their story a bit more.

That being said, while there's no definite lore, we shouldn't turn to DS to have some. What we have actually speaks quite a bit about the basic tale, and then it leaves us to draw our own conclusions, make up our own fan theories wherein something of our own personality might leak through.

Do I want more lore? Yeppers. Do I want do draw from DS and Hayden's misadventures in Lasria? No.

Aaaaaand I haven't watched the devstream where the "is it canon" question is asked. With so little lore, we deal with opinions, but we disguise them as facts.

@S.T.M.P.D

I do agree that linking dark sector and warframe could hinder future development, but there is a chance it could add to it as well. with the release of the proto armor they seem to have decided to take the route of they are in the same universe for sure route. But at this stage in lore development I would honestly be fine (well only minorly annoyed) with them reneging on that so long as they gave us a good amount of lore to replace what is lost. especially on what the tenno are and whether or not we have a relation to the infestation.

I am rather fine with it being connected, as long as they explain how the orokin empire came about in a way that does not contradict dark sector, which should be easy enough, then there are no problems with the games being connected imo

Edited by reltats