Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clan Emblem Help, Copyright Question Plus Opinions.

Aumaan

Question

I was able to get the 50% off Honor of the Lotus for the login reward today so I was considering dropping $10 on 370 plat so I could finally get an emblem for my clan but I had a question about copyright before I decide anything. My clan, Children of Chaos is a Dark Souls inspired clan dedicated to The Fair Lady.  I was wanting to incorporate at least her silhouette into the emblem. I had two main idea's for it and was wondering if either of them would be under copyright (mainly because I'm not sure how copyright covers silhouettes and semblances of a person). 

1. A side view, on the left side, starting from the bottom left, the forearms of a Warframe (Ember Prime) held out, palms up, presenting a Lotus symbol, black interior, smoky white exterior/outline (like Dark Souls Humanity) to a pale woman on the right. Just an upper torso, face mostly obscured by hair, fists gripped together in a prayer-esque fashion. Some bulbous growths with a couple spider-like legs barely coming into view (just the joints of 2 or 3 legs, up into the image and back down and out) in the bottom right corner.  The name Children of Chaos going from top to bottom (Children top middle, of under the backside of the palm in the middle, Chaos bottom middle) in a red/orange/yellow font with a lava like dapple and a black outline for eligibility.

This one is also rather busy so I don't know how well it would work for an emblem. Does that actually sound that busy compared to other emblems? I haven't looked at that many for comparison.

2.  A straight up front view of The Fair Lady (arms again, brought together in a prayer like way, fists c, only in silhouette though.  Mostly pale, cream white with a hint of red for her with a grey, rocky background; some redish-orange glows from the left and right.  Again, Humanity-esque Lotus symbol floating in front of her, slightly above the center of the image but below the arm and face. Name in generally the same place, this time with the of being below the Lotus symbol with the same font.

Picture of the general idea of the position for those who don't know the character. 

quelaag-s-sister.jpg

Humanity for those who don't know (It's actually hard to find a non minuscule image for this for some reason)

7ENoGDB.png

Again, I'm not imagining detail here, just colored in outlines basically.  I'm more worried out The Fair Lady being under copyright but would the Humanity effect also be copyright or would that be fine? I just want the general effect/look, not going for the same shape.

Also, of these two idea, which do you think sounds better? (I cannot offer visual examples, I have the artistic capabilities of a rock; a really artistically challenged rock)

Thanks for the assist on embeding.

EDIT: 

Main question has been answered but I have one last one before I mark this as answered.

As the main answer indicates, images, characters and icons from other games would fall under copyright so having The Fair Lady in the emblem is out.

But, would the general ascetic of Humanity; black interior, smokey white exterior, on a Lotus Symbol be allowed or would that also fall under copyright?

Edited by Aumaan

10 answers to this question

Using images, characters or icons from other games not owned by DE does violate copyright laws. As neat as it would be, I don't believe DE would approve/allow it.

Damn. Would the Humanity Lotus look also count in that since I'm going for just the general ascetic; black inside, smokey white outside? If at least that'll work I might be able to think of something. If not this'll take a lot more brainstorming.

Edited by Aumaan

I believe you can legally use imagery from dark souls in your clan emblem as that is covered under "Fair Use" in copy write law.

You are using it for personal reasons and not attempting to profit off their intellectual property. 

I suggest you Google the term "Fair Use" and educate yourself on the subject.

I believe you can legally use imagery from dark souls in your clan emblem as that is covered under "Fair Use" in copy write law.

You are using it for personal reasons and not attempting to profit off their intellectual property. 

I suggest you Google the term "Fair Use" and educate yourself on the subject.

I know a bit about fair use but I did as you suggested.  I'm not sure if this would fall under that though.  Depending on where you look personal use might or might not fall under it.  There's also something about depending on how much of something you use, 10% is the number I saw it can fall under fair use. 

I don't plan on profiting from this but I'll need to find someone to make it given my lack of skill (or image editing software beyond MSPaint), there might technically be some profit made at some point by someone.  That could be dealt with by me "making a donation of plat or mods" if I can find someone here or on the Warframe reddit.  There's also something about how, if something is placed somewhere for public viewing it could be considered published and not be counted as fair use.  

This all may be too much for DE to want to deal with/take the chance with.  I really wish they wouldn't take the 150 plat if it gets rejected, at least then I could find out from them directly whether it would work.

Legal stuff is annoying!

But, would the general ascetic of Humanity; black interior, smokey white exterior, on a Lotus Symbol be allowed or would that also fall under copyright?

Images are generally copyrighted - the concept behind an image generally can't be. So I'd say you're okay. It's generic enough.

Images are generally copyrighted - the concept behind an image generally can't be. So I'd say you're okay. It's generic enough.

Alright, hopefully that'll be fine then.  Now I've just gotta come up with something that works with that. Thanks for the info.