Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seeing A Lot Of Thead Censorship, Whats Up With That?

VioDuskar

Well, they're not always deleted; sometimes they're fused with other similar threads. Prevents redundancy like have 3-4 threads about the same subject put up when there's already one which is several pages long about the same topic.

EDIT

Also what ^ Ailissa ^ says : forums are like little communities which determines what goes and what doesn't. If the community doesn't like constant swearing (as an example) as a whole, they're likely to silence or exile those who constantly swears. Posting on a forum is like sending letters to a TV show : if what you send is outright disrespectful, not publishable or otherwise doesn't even relate to what the TV show usually is about, they aren't going to put it up on air just because they have it in hand.

Besides, the moment you create an account for any forum (at least, any decent one), they make you check the "I agree to respect the forum guidelines and rules" at one point (or something similarly worded); so you basically accept to post/act within the rules and guidelines of that forum's community and if one of the rule is "don't start threads that doesn't lead to discussion", then don't be surprised if that topic gets deleted or posts censored.

Edited by Wiegraf

purpose of thread confirmed. DE is a Canadian communist group seeking to reinforce thought and speech supressing values via a game whose playable character cannot speak and is told what to do by a figurehead overlord with little thought as to why the character does what the figure says.

/thread?

LOL. May want to edit that before you get a warning point.

Serious notes though, what Letter13 say is not wrong. We may take it for granted but it all comes down to who is the owner(s) of the forum. As for WF forums there are many moderators working together to keep it clean. Otherwise, the forum could be a dumping ground for everything. No one likes to see that.

That said, however, while there are rules and policy but it also depends on who reviews the post. Not all threads and posts are easily discernible according to the guideline. Some moderators are cool and let small things go but other moderators can be serious and crack down according to such and such rules.

Technically there is no free speech here;

I throught its was Local law > any kind of  "sub rules"

The only thing that you shouldn't be able to talk but yet happening time to time is leak from DC (it's not like DC member was not directly leaking stuff to theire clan or alliance right? oh noes quick mod to censor alliance/clan chat , oh wait they can't)

those infractions are very open ended and you could pretty much say anyone even barely off-beat with game talk could be in violation.

i think we need rules 3.0 in the next update which clarifies what parts of free speech we do and dont have.

Free Speech? None. We're not talking about government censorship of the news media - this is a video game forum.

[tinfoil hatting intensifies?]

I'm still genuinely wondering which threads you're referring to when you're talking about seeing a lot of thread censorship. Are you referring to posts? Or entire threads? Because it's not very often that we remove entire threads (exceptions for "Im Hawt" threads or trading threads which are requested by the thread makers to be removed). More often than not they get merged into already existing threads.

I think this post is trying to ask due to #GamerGate ( assumption ) if you have heard of it, and the controversy around it. After all, mass cencorship was used to silence discussion about it on other parts of media so probably this is why some would tie these to them, could be. Now I am a supporter of that movement but I do not see why it would be relevant to have such ethics in here. Letter, I have to ask though, that isn't off-topic meant to any kind of off topic. I mean if people want to talk about whatever they want to talk about, then shouldn't it go there on these forums? Or not even then?

Edited by BETAOPTICS

again, i understand mergers, and i havent seen many whole threads removed, but i am seeing large portions of threads chopped off. instead of wiping the page, why not just say "get on topic or i lock it"? (rhymes even!)

If you don't delete the posts, people will just ignore the rules and post whatever they want up to (or even beyond) the point where a moderator steps in.  Case in point - look at the way people flagrantly post bug reports and feedback in general discussion despite there being clearly marked forums for each.  People know their posts will get moved by a moderator, so they dump them in general where they get extra views before being shipped off to the appropriate forum.  If the mods were to simply delete those threads rather than move them, you can bet people would knock that S#&$ off real fast.

Letter, I have to ask though, that isn't off-topic meant to any kind of off topic. I mean if people want to talk about whatever they want to talk about, then shouldn't it go there on these forums? Or not even then?

AFAIK the forum rules still apply no matter which section you're posting in. Just because you're in off topic doesn't mean you can be badly behaved.

I think this post is trying to ask due to #GamerGate ( assumption ) if you have heard of it, and the controversy around it. After all, mass cencorship was used to silence discussion about it on other parts of media so probably this is why some would tie these to them, could be.

I've heard of it, but I haven't really read into it. It seems like a silly mess of drama and I don't really want to have anything to do with it.

Letter, I have to ask though, that isn't off-topic meant to any kind of off topic. I mean if people want to talk about whatever they want to talk about, then shouldn't it go there on these forums? Or not even then?

Forum rules still apply to off-topic. Off-topic is just the General Discussion for non Warframe related conversations. Things might be a bit more lax in OT, but if there's a thread in OT with the title "Im Hawt" and the body of the thread is "Im Hawt" then it's gonna get taken out. Because there's no conversation to be had. It's just spam. Code of conduct covers the entire forum.

I throught its was Local law > any kind of  "sub rules"

The only thing that you shouldn't be able to talk but yet happening time to time is leak from DC (it's not like DC member was not directly leaking stuff to theire clan or alliance right? oh noes quick mod to censor alliance/clan chat , oh wait they can't)

The right to freedom of speech doesn't really apply to private property. If you are on someone's property (i.e. these forums are DE's property) and you say something they don't like, they are completely within their right to bar you from the premises/kick you out/limit your permissions within the premises. It's only in public/government owned spaces or your own property where you have freedom of speech.