Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Someone Remind Me Why Boltor P Is Better Than Latron P Again?

Saih1337

Question

These are the two builds that I'm using (well my mods aren't maxed)

Boltor P:

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Boltor_prime/t_30_23042223_131-3-5-132-5-5-133-2-5-134-6-5-137-4-10-138-7-5-141-1-5-150-0-10_150-8-141-6-133-11-131-5-137-7-132-8-134-6-138-6/en/2-0-44/

Latron P

:

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Latron_prime/t_30_23002222_132-7-5-134-6-5-137-0-10-138-2-5-140-4-5-141-1-5-150-5-10-159-3-5_137-7-141-6-138-11-159-9-140-5-150-8-134-6-132-8/en/2-0-15/

What I've discovered after using both weapons in T3 survival:

1. Boltor P runs out of ammo after about 35min when the heavies start to take half a clip to kill but Latron P never runs out of ammo.

2. My accuracy with Latron P is at 60-70% but Boltor P only floats around 40%.

3. The only time when Boltor P outshines Latron P is when enemies are weak and it only takes about 1-2 bullet to kill. In that case Boltor P can last a long time without reloading. But that is irrelevant since when enemies get harder this advantage is non-existent.

4. Latron P is much better at taking out flying drones due to its bullet being hit-scan, which makes killing the rest of the stuff on the ground much easier.

5. Boltor's sustained dps is irrelevant because you'll run out of ammo anyway when you really have to use that sustained dps. Burst wise the two weapons are about the same.

6. Latron P is much better than Boltor P for boss fights due to its ammo efficiency. (Corrupted Vor, DDA)

Everyone says Boltor P is miles ahead of Latron P but I just can't think of a scenario when Boltor P is better. I don't mind using a semi-auto rifle so does that mean there's no reason for me to use a Boltor P over Latron P?

Edited by Saih1337

TL;DR as i said before it is only because boltor has higher theoretical DPS by the way of numbers and requires no skill in headshots.

Except that's not true. Boltor Prime is outclassed by around ten primaries in terms of DPS, being tied with Synapse and Phage. The main reason people use Boltor Prime is because a.) it's a convenience weapon or b.) they heard it's the best weapon and never checked for themselves.

That being said, Boltor Prime has its advantages. It's easy to distribute the damage over a crowd, and its ammo economy is not *awful*. It just rubs me the wrong way when people see it as just a big damage number.

Edited by Spacetimer

Except that's not true. Boltor Prime is outclassed by around ten primaries in terms of DPS, being tied with Synapse and Phage. The main reason people use Boltor Prime is because a.) it's a convenience weapon or b.) they heard it's the best weapon and never checked for themselves. 

I was referring to in regards to latron vs boltor, in that case it has higher DPS than latron numbers wise.

Latron Prime with heavy caliber!??!   SSSSSSS it burns us!

most weapons with HC become shotguns/flack canons and you just hope to hit something lol

I avoid its use these days on most weapons.

EDIT: oh and i forgot Drakgoon existed lol

Edited by Echoa

You don't even need Heavy Caliber for Latron Prime to outclass the Boltor Prime.

http://goo.gl/JZCxtQ

http://goo.gl/BEhrYA

i never said anything about latron having HC lol 

also those numbers arent right because my in game numbers are completely different on all my weapons vs whats on WB. Take those numbers with a grain of salt as that doesnt take into account dmg from procs, etc.

Its good for comparing builds (on the same weapon) on there as to for a given weapon what would be a better build but it doesnt handle certain things like burst fire right, etc.

Edited by Echoa

i never said anything about latron having HC lol 

also those numbers arent right because my in game numbers are completely different on all my weapons vs whats on WB. Take those numbers with a grain of salt as that doesnt take into account dmg from procs, etc.

Run the numbers by hand then. Latron Prime still comes out on top.

Also, Isn't procs a counterproductive argument as Latron Prime is a status weapon?

Run the numbers by hand then. Latron Prime still comes out on top.

Also, Isn't procs a counterproductive argument as Latron Prime is a status weapon?

how would it be counterproductive? my point was take thos numbers with a grain of salt. You can look at a dmg calculator all day but that doesnt mean thats what youll get. Technically a burston prime with max HC is better than without but thats really not the case, the accuracy hit is VERY detrimental to burston and lowers your effective DPS and status chance.

I.E I use to run a BurstonP with near max HC, itd take a few bursts in T4 to kill something because its hard to land headshots at any range but point blank, take off HC and lean on its VERY high status chance to boost dmg and headshots youll kill things faster. You go from 5-6 burst to 3-4 depending on how long you go (assuming sub or around 1hr as i get bored by 1hr)

Also...anyone who actually puts HC on latron kinda makes me wanna puke lol please dont youre ruining your weapon xP Its the king of headshots, take advantage of that.

Edited by Echoa

how would it be counterproductive? my point was take thos numbers with a grain of salt. You can look at a dmg calculator all day but that doesnt mean thats what youll get. Technically a burson prime with max HC is better than without but thats really not the case, the accuracy hit is VERY detrimental to burston and lowers your effective DPS and status chance.

I.E I use to run a BurstonP with near max HC, itd take a few bursts in T4 to kill something because its hard to land headshots at any range but point blank, take off HC and lean on its VERY high status chance to boost dmg and headshots youll kill things faster. You go from 5-6 burst to 3-4 depending on how long you go (assuming sub or around 1hr as i get bored by 1hr)

I fail to see how that's relevant. I know when to mod for damage and when not to mod for it. I give every single one of my weapons the full Forma treatment, I know how they play and what they're capable of.

If you want to check if the numbers match up, take four Corrosive Projections to T4 and tag some heavies. I've found it to be the most effective way to validate your builds.

/out

Edited by Spacetimer

I fail to see how that's relevant. I know when to mod for damage and when not to mod for it. I give every single one of my weapons the full Forma treatment, I know how they play and what they're capable of.

I never said a thing about your knowledge on modding so thats completey irrelevant if you want to go there. Never said anything about your formaing so thats also completely irrelevant. The point is that a DMG calculator isnt going to tell you effective DPS, it tells you theoretical as the only thing it does is calculate the raw potential DPS under ideal conditions. You used a dmg calculator as your validation, and i said to take those numbers witha grain of salt. I used an example I have tested, burston prime from a dmg calc stand point would be superior with a HC on it, and it isnt because a dmg calculator takes a finite number of variables into account not including procs, weaknesses, player skill, actual effective dps from accuracy, weapon type/what weapons good at, etc

Not to mention that WB seems to have wrong numbers all the time(#s for warframe builds seem to be right though)

I.E my burston build http://goo.gl/O7ijxP

those numbers are completely wrong

Edited by Echoa

From the tone of the post, the OP is listing observations and asking whether or not these observations hold true, and looking for advice.

Please do not stray from the topic of the post. The point of the topic is the differences between Boltor P and Latron P, and not how you think the thread is irrelevant, other people's opinions have no relevance, and how you use different weapons than the ones discussed.

Moved to a more appropriate section.

Again, using an infinite number doesn't count. - .-

Not infinite, just really small.

Plus I use that example to show that what you get on paper isn't what you get ingame.

Heavy Calibur might give the Latron a crapload more dps on paper, but ingame it wrecks the weapon.

what about the latron wraith?

On paper, it has higher dps. Though, the faster fire rate would make the screen shake like crazy, which can reduce your overall accuracy. If you choose to take your time with each shot, then you'll lose dps.

If you are planning to spam the trigger like crazy up close, then go on ahead and use it. 

Latron is better 1v1 but a Boltor with Shred allows punch trough AND the knock back effect effectively multiplying the damage you can do to groups.

Edit: I'd also like to see people try and line up their mythical critical head shots 40 minutes into a T4S, the moment you stop to aim you're already dead or half dead. Unless you're the rhino player everyone seems to hate.

P.S. I main Mirage.

Edited by LuxLo