Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scale The Atterax Down!

JerZeyCJ

Seriously, the thing looks ridiculous. It doesn't even look like it could fulfill its purpose of being a "whip"/"torture" weapon. The whole thing is just too big, clunky, and thick looking. From the spinning, bladed "head" down to the weapon's actual handle.

Take this picture as an example:

Mace_of_the_Crusader.png

The bladed part of the Atterax could be scaled down to about that size and look sooo much better. Because as it is now, it does not look like it would even remotely work as a whip, it just looks too heavy. The grip itself should either have the guard on the front of it removed completely(it's a torture weapon, why would it need a guard?) or significantly shrunken down, made less wide, and brought in closer to the hand.

Also, and this is purely personal preference here, I think it would look better if the cable(or whatever serves as the whip part) was replaced by a chain, would make it feel more "Grineer" like.

side note: Why can't we get an actual, "normal" whip? Y'know, one without some weird, clunky looking attachment on the end that would throw off the weapon and make it too heavy?

Edited by JerZeyCJ

I happen to really admire the weapons design. Makes it unique.

And when has the weapon design for WF ever made sense? That's half the games charm right there! Haha.

A semi 'normal' whip isn't a terrible idea. But this isn't Skyrim or Dragon Age or whatever... The crazier the weapons the better I say! More fun to use and they stay in my inventory a lot longer when they're unique looking.

Keep it up, DE art team.

I happen to really admire the weapons design. Makes it unique.

And when has the weapon design for WF ever made sense? That's half the games charm right there! Haha.

A semi 'normal' whip isn't a terrible idea. But this isn't Skyrim or Dragon Age or whatever... The crazier the weapons the better I say! More fun to use and they stay in my inventory a lot longer when they're unique looking.

Keep it up, DE art team.

I'm not sure if your advocating WF to implement anime type weapons into the game or not... "the crazier the weapons the better I say!", are you trying to say a whip with a huge bladed contraption on the end of it the size of a wrecking ball would be cool? I feel like it would look ridiculous. I understand that the game is SciFi and based on Space-Ninjas but I feel like they should implement more unique, realistic weapons into the game. I'm not saying that SciFi weapons are bad, I would just like to see more things from the 21st century than in the 30th. I feel like it would bring a uniqueness to the WF world, I mean I think it would be cool if in 900+ years they are still using a AK-47 (one of the most common weapons in the world). 

I'm not sure if your advocating WF to implement anime type weapons into the game or not... "the crazier the weapons the better I say!", are you trying to say a whip with a huge bladed contraption on the end of it the size of a wrecking ball would be cool? I feel like it would look ridiculous. I understand that the game is SciFi and based on Space-Ninjas but I feel like they should implement more unique, realistic weapons into the game. I'm not saying that SciFi weapons are bad, I would just like to see more things from the 21st century than in the 30th. I feel like it would bring a uniqueness to the WF world, I mean I think it would be cool if in 900+ years they are still using a AK-47 (one of the most common weapons in the world). 

According to the devstream overview:

"To get things rolling it’s important to keep in mind that each faction in Warframe has a very specific design philosophy that keeps all weapons, characters, and tilesets heavily grounded in a societal aesthetic. There’s never a point in time where our artists design a weapon or background ‘just to be more modern day’, or alter the quality of their work simply to look more gritty."

I happen to agree with that. We've got more than enough sci-fi shooters with "realistic" weapons, it's nice to branch our a bit.

According to the devstream overview:

"To get things rolling it’s important to keep in mind that each faction in Warframe has a very specific design philosophy that keeps all weapons, characters, and tilesets heavily grounded in a societal aesthetic. There’s never a point in time where our artists design a weapon or background ‘just to be more modern day’, or alter the quality of their work simply to look more gritty."

I happen to agree with that. We've got more than enough sci-fi shooters with "realistic" weapons, it's nice to branch our a bit.

Name a few Sci-Fi games that have "modern" day weapons in them could you? I agree that it's "nice to branch out" but still some of the weapons being developed can just be plain goofy, in looks and in stats. For example: Dakra Prime has worse states compared to that of the Kronen but it does 2x damage with Crimson Dervish. The Nukor looks like a weird hammer that shoots radiation rays out of it (radiation is invisible to the human eye as well, so why are there circular rays shooting out of it?). Also to consider, most weapons look like they are ceramic or made out of plastic (even with different palettes) and for Dakra Prime, I thought it was supposed to be a longsword, I mean thats what Crimson Dervish is for, yet, it looks like a machete.

Considering it's a Grineer execution device......I would not want to feel that against m flesh......Saws ripping into you at the speed of sound and then being pulled back slowly..........Yeah......As it stands it's perfect, though I would love that if channeling would cause it to rev up and make the blades spin faster and faster the longer you have it channeled.....Yeah, brings back memories of the good ol' saws that butchers used to have.   Everything done so far from weapons to tile sets fit their faction perfectly nothing is out of place or "Huh that doesn't fit X faction"   and Nukor is a ray gun the 'ray' part is so perfectly fitting I was just jumping with giddiness when I first got it and saw that's how it fired......ooooh how nerdy it was,  same with Glaxion and my Ice garden......Now if only Shotguns had a ragdoll on kill effect and Tigris had a more Boomstick sound we'll be happy.

Oh and on the Ceramics part, What graphic settings do you have on?

Most of my weapons have a almost metallic look to them though I think it could be Evolution Engine not being able to do Metal materials too too well

Edited by Zero.No.Hikari

I think the head could be tuned down a little in size, but I'm fine with the design otherwise.

Does it still spin when unequipped on a player's back? That's the part I don't like. I'd rather my portable meat grinder not be spinning while it's sitting three inches away from my own flesh.

Also yeah, a regular whip would be cool. Tenno style, of course.

Warframe is already super anime.

I'm not kidding, either.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Seriously, the thing looks ridiculous. It doesn't even look like it could fulfill its purpose of being a "whip"/"torture" weapon. The whole thing is just too big, clunky, and thick looking. From the spinning, bladed "head" down to the weapon's actual handle.

Take this picture as an example:

Mace_of_the_Crusader.png

The bladed part of the Atterax could be scaled down to about that size and look sooo much better. Because as it is now, it does not look like it would even remotely work as a whip, it just looks too heavy. The grip itself should either have the guard on the front of it removed completely(it's a torture weapon, why would it need a guard?) or significantly shrunken down, made less wide, and brought in closer to the hand.

Also, and this is purely personal preference here, I think it would look better if the cable(or whatever serves as the whip part) was replaced by a chain, would make it feel more "Grineer" like.

side note: Why can't we get an actual, "normal" whip? Y'know, one without some weird, clunky looking attachment on the end that would throw off the weapon and make it too heavy?

so you are telling, you are wearing a suit/frame that provides you super ability and strength and will not even move a bit even after taking a rocket in the face and YOU CAN'T HANDLE THAT WEIGHT? 

Anyway.... how desperate are you trying to find logic in a sci-fi game?

so you are telling, you are wearing a suit/frame that provides you super ability and strength and will not even move a bit even after taking a rocket in the face and YOU CAN'T HANDLE THAT WEIGHT? 

Anyway.... how desperate are you trying to find logic in a sci-fi game?

I'm just going to say that the "sci" part of "sci-fi" means that there does need to be some logic. Also, just because you can lift a heavier weapon, does not mean you need the weapon to be heavier. In fact,  a lighter weapon would be even more effect since you could swing it faster. And none of the above has an impact on my feeling that the Atterax is too bulky looking. There is no reason for the bladed part to be a foot long and seven inches around(*more than likely not the exact measurements). That is excessive and would hinder it as a whip.

IThere is no reason for the bladed part to be a foot long and seven inches around(*more than likely not the exact measurements). That is excessive and would hinder it as a whip.

Most whips wouldn't have any effectiveness against even light armor let alone the bulky stuff the grineer wear without significant weighting, this more like an elongated flail. It's purpose isn't really to whip, but to throw and crash the spinning blade against foes in order to shred them. The 'whipping' is done by the weighted tip, it needs that much weight in order to do its job.   

Threads like these are why I hate it when players ask for archetypical weapons, DE makes them more interesting and the players complain that it isnt a standard boring archetype.

A standard whip would be a horrible piece of S#&$ for a weapon. They arent designed to do damage in the first place. The "whip" weapons DE created are very interesting weapons that should work more like meteor hammers or flails. In game they're used like normal whips because thats the popular image they have thanks to movies, comics, and pop culture. Also, meteor hammer animations would be outrageously hard to do, and using them like flails would make players complain that they should be called flails instead of whips. DE just cant win lol.

And yeah, please make the Atterax's head a little smaller.

Edited by DarkTails

Threads like these are why I hate it when players ask for archetypical weapons, DE makes them more interesting and the players complain that it isnt a standard boring archetype.

A standard whip would be a horrible piece of S#&$ for a weapon. They arent designed to do damage in the first place. The "whip" weapons DE created are very interesting weapons that should work more like meteor hammers or flails. In game they're used like normal whips because thats the popular image they have thanks to movies, comics, and pop culture. Also, meteor hammer animations would be outrageously hard to do, and using them like flails would make players complain that they should be called flails instead of whips. DE just cant win lol.

And yeah, please make the Atterax's head a little smaller.

Hah, speak for yourself.