Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Requesting: An Unsticking Command For People Who Spawn Outside The Map Or Under The Map

DaganEldr

well, in-game bug report from commands is something i have been thinking for a long time, even told [DE]Glen about it. ofcourse it would be a challenge in it self just to script all this, and to keep it functional and bugs free is another rock in the way. But i believe that live in-game simple bug reporting could help a lot. yet, can you imagine the amount of feedback the live bug report system would provide? i dont think there are enough DE's to handle al that info. so they gonna have to dev another srcipt to sort all that info for them.

so in a real quick thought, i think it as i type it.

F7 and then F6 to take a Sreenshot ready to send.

then type:

/Lbr level/stuck

or

/Lbr level/AI/stuck.

/Lbr level/hole

this auto sends the screenshot with your ee.log to DE. Lbr= live bug report. what you type after /lbr is for DE servers to sort the bug report in categories. you need to press F7 in order for the live bug report system to activate, new chat tab, type commands. if there is not Screenshot to be taken skip F6, and it will only send ee.log.

so yes, typing all this from memory might not be that simple but im quite sure i'd rather have it this way than alt+tab the game, go to forums, start a thread, type the info, upload screenshot, etc.

now the only thing left to do is find a way to clean up all the troll live bug reports, cos trust me, there will be troll live bug reports.

I will never understand trolls. All I know is that they're something to expect, and there's never enough troll spray around. /Sigh

Aside from that, I really like this idea. It would take a little bit of habit for me to memorize the sequence, but it's still an interesting concept for certain.

There is two places on the forums where posting more info will help us fix this:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/22-maps-levels/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/11-general/

In general there is two ways to get stuck, purely cause of game environment (e.g. getting stuck between two rocks) and then interacting with it (e.g. stealth kill animation popping you into terrain etc).

We are in beta still, we rely on your guys reports to iron out as many issues as we can. For this we need screenshots and as detailed a description of what happened. Thanks for your efforts and sorry for the inconvenience.

I see that you rely in our report , I reported couple of time bugs in Dark sector conflic , no single answer, neither fix'ed

We've covered this sort of ground many thousands of times over, it's not going to happen.

I'd proposed a system where the user uses /Unstuck through the pause menu over a year ago. The base principle was that you couldn't use it unless you'd been in the same XYZ position for at least 5-10 seconds, allowing a little bit of room for fluctuation. Upon using Unstuck, the User would then be teleported back to the tile's item dropoff point. You know. That place your ammo magically appears when it falls off a cliff OoB? Yeah, there. 

An array could be used to poll the player's position every delta frame for the last 30 or so seconds before using Unstuck. This would increase CPU load a shade, however would provide devs with the position and velocity of a player at every step of the way.For added clarity, a screenshot would be mandatory, and the Ee.log would be uploaded as well.

But oh well. We can't have it all, and /unstuck is something we won't be getting.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

We've covered this sort of ground many thousands of times over, it's not going to happen.

I'd proposed a system where the user uses /Unstuck through the pause menu over a year ago. The base principle was that you couldn't use it unless you'd been in the same XYZ position for at least 5-10 seconds, allowing a little bit of room for fluctuation. Upon using Unstuck, the User would then be teleported back to the tile's item dropoff point. You know. That place your ammo magically appears when it falls off a cliff OoB? Yeah, there. 

An array could be used to poll the player's position every delta frame for the last 30 or so seconds before using Unstuck. This would increase CPU load a shade, however would provide devs with the position and velocity of a player at every step of the way.For added clarity, a screenshot would be mandatory, and the Ee.log would be uploaded as well.

But oh well. We can't have it all, and /unstuck is something we won't be getting.

It's an honest shame, really. I think so many players would be happier with some form of unstuck+the bugs rather than no unstuck while we deal with bugs and they work to make it bug free. They could easily substitute a temporary unstuck method while they work on the bugs that caused the player to use it in the first place. :/

Edited by DaganEldr

I agree with you completely. I too would VERY much like an /unstuck function in the game, and personally even find that punishing all Beta Testers by not adding it is less professional then penalizing Beta Testers who DO abuse it.

^^^^ This, right here. I feel like I'm being punished for the errors of someone else.

I will never understand trolls. All I know is that they're something to expect, and there's never enough troll spray around. /Sigh

Aside from that, I really like this idea. It would take a little bit of habit for me to memorize the sequence, but it's still an interesting concept for certain.

trolls are like mosquitos, they only annoy and spread diseases, but are a necesary evil for some crazy reason of mommy nature. you can't just get ride of them, so measures of control need to be applied.

about memorizing the sequence:

/lbr ? for a full list of commands. simple as that. still faster than opening a thread. i'd say it should be kind of limited to level and ai bugs, at least until the system has been polished and has proven to be useful.

the "ticket" should carry the coordinates of the location where the bug happened, as mentioned by someone before. the only problem i foresee, despite trolls and overload of info, is sending EE.log while is still being used by the game engine. but i dont realy know about that stuff. maybe when you press F7 you generate a temp copy to be sent?

Edited by locojuan

We are in beta still, we rely on your guys reports to iron out as many issues as we can. For this we need screenshots and as detailed a description of what happened. Thanks for your efforts and sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry, but the game is far from still being in beta.

Even Beta games have an unstuck function, so why don't we? It's just an hindrance to gameplay, and likely would not be too difficult to implement either.

Two solutions:

1. Often when I get stuck in an environmental object (such as if I front flip and get stuck on a rock or something) a melee attack will force the character model out of the stuck position. Granted, this is only for extremely minor cases of getting stuck, and not for being forced entirely out of the map.

2. Always play Loki. Switch Teleport and the Decoy are invaluable for getting back in bounds should you become stuck.

Also, DE, I'd like to know why you make us burn a revive if we fall out of the map entirely. It's extremely irritating to have to sacrifice a daily revive because of technical problems beyond our control.

Edited by SFkenny

Two solutions:

1. Often when I get stuck in an environmental object (such as if I front flip and get stuck on a rock or something) a melee attack will force the character model out of the stuck position. Granted, this is only for extremely minor cases of getting stuck, and not for being forced entirely out of the map.

2. Always play Loki. Switch Teleport and the Decoy are invaluable for getting back in bounds should you become stuck.

I was playing as Loki. Re-read carefully. :P  I could NOT melee. I COULD only jump in place, and sprint in place. That was it. No abilities could be used, or anything else. I was a sitting duck trying to pick up the key because the scripts screwed up, and I wasted 2 lives trying to get out of it.

trolls are like mosquitos, they only annoy and spread diseases, but are a necesary evil for some crazy reason of mommy nature. you can't just get ride of them, so measures of control need to be applied.

about memorizing the sequence:

/lbr ? for a full list of commands. simple as that. still faster than opening a thread. i'd say it should be kind of limited to level and ai bugs, at least until the system has been polished and has proven to be useful.

the "ticket" should carry the coordinates of the location where the bug happened, as mentioned by someone before. the only problem i foresee, despite trolls and overload of info, is sending EE.log while is still being used by the game engine. but i dont realy know about that stuff. maybe when you press F7 you generate a temp copy to be sent?

I think it would be a decent idea, provided time isn't of the essence. Do you have anything that would counter that issue in... Let's say a survival mission, perhaps? A list of commands would be useful, no doubt, but for users not used to it, if the list is lengthy, it might take some time to go through.

But only if it's lengthy. :P

i like the way some people wants to live in a house which is under construction but complain about the noise and dust. (not to anyone in particular on this thread)

you can live in this house, would you let me know if you see any cracks on the walls while you are at it? if i give you method to oversee cracks... what is the point?

if you find a flaw that stops you from playing, stop playing, report, and continue on. that is what we are here for. enjoy what is functional, report what is not. i am not saying that an unstuck function is bad, im saying that we are here to make sure we dont need that function at all.

if there is a bump on the street, you go arround it or take another route if its too big, curse a little, and call the responsible authorities so they can fix it. and keep in mind that sometimes, they dont fix that specific bump cos the whole street is set for a re paving.

Also, DE, I'd like to know why you make us burn a revive if we fall out of the map entirely. It's extremely irritating to have to sacrifice a daily revive because of technical problems beyond our control.

now with that i completely agree. to overcome bugs and glitches while understanding this is beta is one thing. but to spend real money because of a bug? that is not nice. bad for business.

I think it would be a decent idea, provided time isn't of the essence. Do you have anything that would counter that issue in... Let's say a survival mission, perhaps? A list of commands would be useful, no doubt, but for users not used to it, if the list is lengthy, it might take some time to go through.

But only if it's lengthy. :P

at first i'd say that the list of commands lenght would be down to 4 or 5. im still convinced that is way faster, easier, and more motivating than opeing a thread that could probably be unseen.

but even if the length is larger, wouldnt that also keep trolling in line? i mean, with the little complication it implies the overload of info would be reduced because only players that are interested in bug reporting would use it. the rest would stick to the usual rant on the forums. (i am so so so sorry about that last comment, but im honestly tired of pointless rants. its like poison procs man. so you might find some of my comments hurtful towards rant posts).

about the time it would take to send the LBR, how much could it be? 10 seconds? 20 top? if you are getting killed and dont want to waste a revive to send the LBR, well then just use the conventional way and take a sreenshot to be posted later. but if you happened to fall of the map, you find a hole, an ai spinning on the spot, or something in those lines, and you are clear to send, feel free to do it.

i've seen posts from ppl actively looking for this kind of bugs on the maps. this could be a great asset for all of those who are interested in this task.

Edited by locojuan

That's definitely another pretty useful idea, but yet again, there are certain circumstances where you have to have time to type it. My idea's got this problem in the form of getting to the pause menu in time. It could get a little tricky.

It makes me wonder if the animation freezing up like that means a script it relied on has broken. It's undoubtedly SOME kind of script error, but I have no clue how to even piece together the basics of scripting yet, so correct my stupidity if this sequence so happens to have it:

Say someone goes with the idea of the warp point, but in order to keep people from abusing it/using it to cheat, it can only be accessed once a script stops responding. I'm personally not sure if this idea is even possible in the least bit, but if it is, that'd be great too.

Yeah but knowing the fact that this is still beta. A ton of scripts could cease functioning at random giving this option away very easily.

at first i'd say that the list of commands lenght would be down to 4 or 5. im still convinced that is way faster, easier, and more motivating than opeing a thread that could probably be unseen.

but even if the length is larger, wouldnt that also keep trolling in line? i mean, with the little complication it implies the overload of info would be reduced because only players that are interested in bug reporting would use it. the rest would stick to the usual rant on the forums. (i am so so so sorry about that last comment, but im honestly tired of pointless rants. its like poison procs man. so you might find some of my comments hurtful towards rant posts).

Even if it was larger, or smaller its absurdly rare for a troll to show up and mess with the topic IF IT IS a bug. Infact I have never seen trolls in the bug forums. Every time a bug is posted either no one post in it, or someone does for something constructive, or to add on to the problem being a big issue.

If your stuck just report it. DE wants to know that is why there is no unstuck button. to MAKE YOU talk about it. Because it frustrates you. They can't fix everything if people were just unstucking, and whizzing through maps without saying a word.

i like the way some people wants to live in a house which is under construction but complain about the noise and dust. (not to anyone in particular on this thread)

you can live in this house, would you let me know if you see any cracks on the walls while you are at it? if i give you method to oversee cracks... what is the point?

if you find a flaw that stops you from playing, stop playing, report, and continue on. that is what we are here for. enjoy what is functional, report what is not. i am not saying that an unstuck function is bad, im saying that we are here to make sure we dont need that function at all.

if there is a bump on the street, you go arround it or take another route if its too big, curse a little, and call the responsible authorities so they can fix it. and keep in mind that sometimes, they dont fix that specific bump cos the whole street is set for a re paving.

now with that i completely agree. to overcome bugs and glitches while understanding this is beta is one thing. but to spend real money because of a bug? that is not nice. bad for business.

about the time it would take to send the LBR, how much could it be? 10 seconds? 20 top? if you are getting killed and dont want to waste a revive to send the LBR, well then just use the conventional way and take a sreenshot to be posted later. but if you happened to fall of the map, you find a hole, an ai spinning on the spot, or something in those lines, and you are clear to send, feel free to do it.

i've seen posts from ppl actively looking for this kind of bugs on the maps. this could be a great asset for all of those who are interested in this task.

I can see how it would keep the unruly in line. (I hope you don't think I was trying to shoot down your idea. I certainly wasn't.) :)

I was just trying to more or less picture the sequence I suppose, making sure it's fool-proof with different scenarios. I know there's really, ultimately no such thing as fool-proof, but picturing different scenarios, and the time it would take, or how fair something would be really helps. Like say, someone's on their last life, or purchased more lives. Many areas, especially higher level areas, have flurries of enemies that can shoot a warframe down in 5 seconds flat if they're exposed, let alone bugged out in the open. I wasn't sure at first how many commands you personally would have created (it's not really my idea after all), so that was what initially left me curious, I suppose. But don't get me wrong. I do certainly like the idea.

Yeah but knowing the fact that this is still beta. A ton of scripts could cease functioning at random giving this option away very easily.

I could understand that, but as mentioned prior, there are many games that have some form or another of unstuck, and I personally think that fixing a script error with an unstuck/similar option would be much easier than fixing whatever happened to my warframe. I'm not saying that if they had unstuck, that what happened should be set on low priority compared to an unstuck bug of sorts, but I'm just saying that if there are bugs in multiple areas of the game, fixing a script that works around the initial problem might be easier, and then they could get to the more complex bug. But I'm not sure which script would be more complex at the same time, so it could be the other way around, but hopefully you got what I was saying there. Haha. :P

Even if it was larger, or smaller its absurdly rare for a troll to show up and mess with the topic IF IT IS a bug. Infact I have never seen trolls in the bug forums. Every time a bug is posted either no one post in it, or someone does for something constructive, or to add on to the problem being a big issue.

If your stuck just report it. DE wants to know that is why there is no unstuck button. to MAKE YOU talk about it. Because it frustrates you. They can't fix everything if people were just unstucking, and whizzing through maps without saying a word.

I know that you weren't replying to me in this post here, but I thought I'd add that using unstuck wouldn't really mask the ability to report a bug if someone's still willing to take a screencap and fill out a report for it. Of course, that also depends on personal patience regardless, I'd assume.

well yeah. take away trolls as we know em and replace it with ppl spaming live bug reports just to annoy DE... which would be very troll imho.

exactly my point:

if the bug is too complicated and needs further explanation then go ahead and open a thread. but for simple bugs like the ones we mentioned, i see no reason to open a thread. i dont think DE realy wants to read how frustrated you are when you find a bug. rather, i'd say they want to know what the bug is about and where it happened. now for things more complicated, like freezes, performance issues, or bugs that need to be reproduced with steps, then the forums is the place. the idea of life bug reporting is more oriented to simple bugs.

I can see how it would keep the unruly in line. (I hope you don't think I was trying to shoot down your idea. I certainly wasn't.) :)

I was just trying to more or less picture the sequence I suppose, making sure it's fool-proof with different scenarios. I know there's really, ultimately no such thing as fool-proof, but picturing different scenarios, and the time it would take, or how fair something would be really helps. Like say, someone's on their last life, or purchased more lives. Many areas, especially higher level areas, have flurries of enemies that can shoot a warframe down in 5 seconds flat if they're exposed, let alone bugged out in the open. I wasn't sure at first how many commands you personally would have created (it's not really my idea after all), so that was what initially left me curious, I suppose. But don't get me wrong. I do certainly like the idea.

by no means i thought you were trying to shoot down the idea. so dont worry about that :D

i was trying to share that idea, and aslo point out that there is a reason why DE doesnt want an unstuck function, and its pretty much cos they'd rather dont need it. so yes, while you and i would more likely take a screenshot and report, most ppl just want to play and forget this is beta and that DE needs our feedback about this issues.

as someone mentioned before, perhaps a mix of unstuck AFTER live report was sent. sounds a lil bit like a dicatorship thou lol.

Edited by locojuan

I really agree with the idea of /unstuck command, particularly with a screenshot and room description being sent with it.

I've gotten stuck far too many times, and known far too little about how I got there, and I generally don't go to the forums afterwards, I keep playing. I post it maybe hours or days later, if I remember to post it at all, and I'm a person that tries to make an effort to point out bugs--I can't imagine how much is lost that's found by people that don't think about it as much.

I guarantee DE that they will get more information from an unstuck command that reports coordinates then they will by forcing people to manually report it. Why? I doubt 99% of people bother to report it.

I never bother to report anything. I'm sorry, but I'm a customer, not a beta tester. You can call an apple a stick, doesn't make it a stick. It's an apple. This "beta" has been out for over a year now. This game has a fully functioning cashshop that constantly gets updates with new weapons and items that are NOT released simply for testing purposes. This game has exclusive date restricted events! You don't hold exclusive events in your game that "isn't released yet"! Does DE have any sort of roadmap to release? You can't tell me with a straight face that Archwing was planned all along. You don't design additional gameplay elements and tack them on in beta phase. Beta are for smoothing out functionality, not for tacking on whatever designers come up with that would be a cool addition.

This game is beta in name only. Period.

There is two places on the forums where posting more info will help us fix this:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/22-maps-levels/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/11-general/

In general there is two ways to get stuck, purely cause of game environment (e.g. getting stuck between two rocks) and then interacting with it (e.g. stealth kill animation popping you into terrain etc).

Isn't it possible for you guys to create a function that together with the "unstuck" command takes a screenshot and records the coordinates of the map?

Edit: I do understand that sometimes you "fall through the map" and the location of your warframe won't be the same as the hole in the map, but it's likely that a screenshot won't be taken the instant you fall through either :/

Edited by Lactamid

OR they could gather the coordinates where someone typed /stuck in the chat ........ automatic screenshot involved.

I can program that (without the screenshot feature) in 5 minutes ...

the problem with that, the same people that can't send crash reports would probably fail to submit that information as well.

despite that, it may be worth having.

but on the flipside, some issues that players experience wouldn't be successfully reported and they'd still 'get out of trouble'.

there's also that i'm sure often players don't report their issues anyways, as a firstworldproblem. but if you don't report it, you also can't really expect it to be fixed.

How about a simple - if you're pressing movement keys and not moving for X amount of time, it teleports you to specified warp points close by. Also remove all doors, as when they mess up (due to host migrations or otherwise) its game over. Nobody likes dealing with that

There are far too many places where you can get stuck on the map. Not to mention that nasty long running bug about getting stuck on datamass or manual pickup item ... Been so many reports about that one (and I think that is what the OP is talking about because you can't do anything but walk in place).

With very complex collisions against objects, I highly doubt DE will ever make this bug go completely away. A lot of games have this problem, beta or not, so I don't see why we can't have an unstuck function as well.

If they are really concerned about people abusing an unstuck command, just have timers like people suggested ... heck even put one before unstuck kicks in after using the command (30 secs or so sounds reasonable) so people can't just escape a battle easy, and then have a 15-ish minute cool-down.

Edited by Ace_Kayo