Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gate Crash Encourages Afk

Llyssa

Currently, if you finish a GC mission whilst dead, you get no points.

If you take your heavily gimped frame out and try to battle, you risk death, and losing revives... or if you're out of revives, gaining no points at all.

If you succeed with lots of hard work, you can get the points.

If one person gathers cache, then the rest can focus on the gate, and it all ends up taking about the same amount of time, supposing a team has good speed on the people rushing the gate.

If you die, and have no revives, you still get the cache, but you don't get the point.

If you join a mission and go afk, you get all of the cache your team finds, you get a point for not dying, and, as a bonus, you don't actually have to do anything besides have your account logged in to warframe.

If people got points despite dying, that would help the process, immensely. There'd be less incentive to go AFK that way(why not risk it and have a little fun?)

It would also help dramatically if there was some pickup requirement involved. Not all players will get through the portal if they're having issues hunting cache. Not all players going through the portal will find even a single cache. However, all players going through the portal will get lots of drops as they battle their way in. All players gathering cache will at least have drops from the lockers they open in the process. All players sitting AFK at spawn will get jack-all, as they haven't moved a muscle.

Thus, having a minimum number of drops required to qualify for actually getting points and cache would make a ton of sense.

As a caveat, for the poor souls that actually try and then get killed, there should be a way to check the mission progress while dead, so they know if their contributions were "enough", or if they need to abort.

I think this would improve the experience for everyone. Well, except the AFKers, but they are the problem.

As a caveat, for the poor souls that actually try and then get killed, there should be a way to check the mission progress while dead, so they know if their contributions were "enough", or if they need to abort.

This would be used by the same afk:ers to check if they've done enough...then they'd go afk.

This would be used by the same afk:ers to check if they've done enough...then they'd go afk.

They already can. Hit escape. Select "Mission Progress".

...and if it was a requirement of 50 or 100 pickups(pretty easy to get for those playing), the would-be AFKers would have to play half a mission just to go AFK. That would be a waste of their time and effort. No reason to invest that much effort to go AFK.

On the other hand, right now, they can just click "accept mission" and walk away from the computer.

They already can. Hit escape. Select "Mission Progress".

...and if it was a requirement of 50 or 100 pickups(pretty easy to get for those playing), the would-be AFKers would have to play half a mission just to go AFK. That would be a waste of their time and effort. No reason to invest that much effort to go AFK.

On the other hand, right now, they can just click "accept mission" and walk away from the computer.

To me it sounds like this would make some players fall through the cracks.

Ie: player 1 sets out to find the caches. While looking player 1 doesn't pick up anything else. As he or she has player 70 runs before player 1 cannot kill anything anymore. There is no damage done, 0 kills, 0 pickups (player 1 can't even break the damn loot containers).

The mission is finnished before player 1 reaches the exit.

Now, did player 1 make it?

Was his mission judged on pickups? Map exploration? Did he complete a "bonus objevtive" and find any of the caches? Maybe player one used his or her 1:st skill 5 times and completed the secondary objective?

Maybe player 1 just ran and ran and ran never catching up with the rest of the team. Trough the portal and back.

Were there check points that player 1 reached? Did that qualify him or her for completion?

There are alot of things that could be implemented, but there are many things that wouldn't reflect how a player actually preformed during the mission. You could deal no damage but use skills or procs for cc. You could lock down enemies battering them with melee. You could revive teammates and decieve enemies in order to power up the generators and switch the polarity of the portal.

While some would make you use pickups, others wouldn't. You could go around melee only and the only pickups you'd get would be orbs. Without equilbrium and a use for skills that would limit you to health and affinity.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but it is a complex thing to "fail" somebody fairly.

I believe you remember not reaching the exit and not getting the reward back in the day because someone rushed.

Edit: by this I'm not saying that someone who runs around the damn map, kills nothing, finds nothing and pretty much just avoids dying contributes anything to the team or that he or she is entitled to the end reward.

Edited by Lactamid

To me it sounds like this would make some players fall through the cracks.

Ie: player 1 sets out to find the caches. While looking player 1 doesn't pick up anything else. As he or she has player 70 runs before player 1 cannot kill anything anymore. There is no damage done, 0 kills, 0 pickups (player 1 can't even break the damn loot containers).

The mission is finnished before player 1 reaches the exit.

Now, did player 1 make it?

Was his mission judged on pickups? Map exploration? Did he complete a "bonus objevtive" and find any of the caches? Maybe player one used his or her 1:st skill 5 times and completed the secondary objective?

Maybe player 1 just ran and ran and ran never catching up with the rest of the team. Trough the portal and back.

Were there check points that player 1 reached? Did that qualify him or her for completion?

There are alot of things that could be implemented, but there are many things that wouldn't reflect how a player actually preformed during the mission. You could deal no damage but use skills or procs for cc. You could lock down enemies battering them with melee. You could revive teammates and decieve enemies in order to power up the generators and switch the polarity of the portal.

While some would make you use pickups, others wouldn't. You could go around melee only and the only pickups you'd get would be orbs. Without equilbrium and a use for skills that would limit you to health and affinity.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but it is a complex thing to "fail" somebody fairly.

I believe you remember not reaching the exit and not getting the reward back in the day because someone rushed.

Edit: by this I'm not saying that someone who runs around the damn map, kills nothing, finds nothing and pretty much just avoids dying contributes anything to the team or that he or she is entitled to the end reward.

Opening lockers(and caches) only requires pressing X, and you can open a loot container with a slide kick. Further, you can pick up any of the loot generated by other players, so there's still plenty of things to be grabbed. There is *no* reason, and *no* way that a player could not collect any loot drops.

Also, melee players(such as myself) collect orbs, and mods, and materials, and credits.

ALSO: Each drop can be picked up by each player--I don't know if you knew that or not, but someone else grabbing something neither gives it to you, nor keeps you from grabbing it yourself.

You would have to actively avoid getting drops in order to "fall through the cracks".

Bonus: you still get no credit reward if you don't reach extraction, unless you're in survival mode. Tested and confirmed as of 2 hours ago.

Opening lockers(and caches) only requires pressing X, and you can open a loot container with a slide kick. Further, you can pick up any of the loot generated by other players, so there's still plenty of things to be grabbed. There is *no* reason, and *no* way that a player could not collect any loot drops.

Also, melee players(such as myself) collect orbs, and mods, and materials, and credits.

ALSO: Each drop can be picked up by each player--I don't know if you knew that or not, but someone else grabbing something neither gives it to you, nor keeps you from grabbing it yourself.

You would have to actively avoid getting drops in order to "fall through the cracks".

Bonus: you still get no credit reward if you don't reach extraction, unless you're in survival mode. Tested and confirmed as of 2 hours ago.

You would hve to set a limit - something to make you qualify. what would that limit be?

Edit: While you could open lockers, that doesn't mean you always do. Scouting for caches I almost never open a single locker apart from them; thus no pickups from lockers.

Running for caches doesn't require you to fire your gun, and even if you do, if you can't kill enemies you won't get pickups from them. Actively avoiding or not the problem isn't if you can or can't pick up stuff - it's the limit of how many pickups you need in order to be qualified. Therein lies the crack.

Say you have a low limit - people run in open a few lockers and...afk

To high - you start "looking for" pickups.

Percentual - you run an economic build while someone else has a very consuming gear.

Running as Trinity with melee only can make you pretty much self supplying. Energy vampire/blessing.

That leaves mods and credit.

But what if you were in that event just now, looking for caches.

I know this is far fetched, also right now the skills don't work so trin would still need health/energy.

The limit would still be there though.

Edited by Lactamid

Okay, you're confusing as hell.

If you're solo running from everything, then there will be no drops because there are no kills, but because you are solo, this would not apply to you. Also, you would not be able to complete the event, as the grineer would kill the gate.

However, assuming you're NOT solo, other people will be making kills. Even if you do not, there will be kills made by other players. The levels do not split off in two directions, one having caches and one having the mission. They both are actually along the same basic routes.

If anyone kills anything, there will be loot to grab. I don't know why you keep denying the fact that's true.

So far as logistics of exact numbers someone(like DE) who has all the statistics on how much is picked up on every single mission, would be FAR more qualified to actually go "well, this is how much". It shouldn't be hard to compute with all of the data available, and they acknowledge that they track that sort of stuff.

So far as my own statistical compilations from observed afer-mission info, everyone is usually within the same plus-or-minus 20% amount, unless they were AFK.

Further, there's an "AI Director" who could calculate this, most logically, comparing how much loot is actually available versus how much was gathered.

And LASTLY, MOST IMPORTANTLY, this is NOT A CONVERSATION ABOUT OMFG SOMEONE MIGHT PLAY A LITTLE BIT AND AFK. THAT IS NOT HAPPENING, THAT IS NOT A PROBLEM, AND THAT IS COUNTER-INTUITIVE AND AGAINST NATURAL HUMAN LOGIC.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT PEOPLE CLICK "ACCEPT MISSION" ON THE NAVIGATION MAP, AND *************************NEVER*************************** PLAY AT ALL.

To be more eloquent and succinct:

This is nowhere near as impossible as you're making it out to be, and the possibility that some troll player would purposely go through *just enough* work to get the rewards, but not help the mission at all is exceedingly minute, and no more or less possible than it is right now. However, the current system punishes players actively risking their lives in combat, and rewards, even encourages, players to merely not play the mission at all. The existence of sociopaths willing to troll the system does not invalidate the need for corrective measures that make even responsible players consider the validity of merely going AFK.