Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Earning Mastery Ranks Yield Better Rewards?

Rollerlane

Giving away 1 slot extra slot and a potato for having achieved high levels of grind won't impact their bottom line.

The extremely limited space for new players is rather off putting; I think the starting space should be twice what it is for both Warframes and Weapons. If these extra slots are instead achieved by increasing mastery rank then that gives players an extra goal to work towards and motivation to play to higher mastery tiers.

If you got 4 free warframe slots instead of just 2 you'd still need to buy 20+ more slots to "own" everything. The lost sales of platinum will amount to a rounding error for DE and may actually increase their profits as players will get deeper into the game before hitting the limits and be more likely to spend money on platinum because they have a time investment in the game and are more likely to feel commited to playing WF; the current free space limits are hit rather quickly causing players to make an early decision on if they like this game enough to spend money on it or if they should just quit.

"DE needs to make money" followed by "its not hard to make plat through the trading system" :/

and as someone said earlier, giving players more warframe slots and weapon slots wont break the bank. infact it would probably get them MORE into the game itself, because when i first played i saw how limited to everything i was, and it made me dislike the game and i quit for about 2 years, i only came back because i got a better computer. and its not like you get them right off the bat, you have to work for them. they already give out potatoes a lot anyway lol, but right no theres literally NO reward for ranking up, nothing to interest you, nothing at all

Yes and that makes sense, you must not know much about the game.  People have to buy plat to use for trading.  You can trade stuff to people that are buying plat.  If they buy plat, trade it to you, then you buys slots with it, that is positive.  DE handing stuff out like slots, discourages people to trade as often, the people buying plat won't spend it as much so they won't buy more.  My point is that if you want to play free you can and you can easily still gets items that are only available buy spending plat.  There is no need for DE to just give out items that make them money.

Also, the game hadn't even entered closed beta two years ago, I really don't think you know what you are talking about.  

I'd be all for potato's or random (decent ... give me another Gorgon and i'll hunt you down) blueprints.

The Warframe and weapon slots i'm a bit "on the fence" about. DE uses those to make money so if they handing them out for free then something else will take it's place as the money maker. While we would get free slots we'd lose out elsewhere.

Although it´s a good idea it is a bad idea too, because it would cause more people to rush towards mastery which will result in even more people with high MR and no idea about this game.

As opposed to all those with high mr now that know absolutely everything ..... yet still suck giant hairy monkey balls?

Yes and that makes sense, you must not know much about the game.  People have to buy plat to use for trading.  You can trade stuff to people that are buying plat.  If they buy plat, trade it to you, then you buys slots with it, that is positive.  DE handing stuff out like slots, discourages people to trade as often, the people buying plat won't spend it as much so they won't buy more.  My point is that if you want to play free you can and you can easily still gets items that are only available buy spending plat.  There is no need for DE to just give out items that make them money.

Also, the game hadn't even entered closed beta two years ago, I really don't think you know what you are talking about.  

you act as if reaching mastery 17 takes a day to do, also look at other F2P titles;

Smite: you can literally get every single character without spending a single penny on that game, it has no trading function, and even extra content is available for players that dont spend money. and its Hi-Rez Studio's most successful title

Team Fortress 2: EVERYTHING is available to the player for free, from weapons to hats, it has a trading function and you can get its "in-game currency" by crafting together weapons you find randomly, and then trading them for other items with other players. Valve's most successful title

Dota 2: all characters unlocked and the only thing you can buy is costume pieces for characters, that you can also trade other players for, and you can get them for free, another one of Valve's most successful titles

now Warframe: Limits the players drastically to get them to spend money, even making it so their weapons are extremely weaker than their potatoe'd counterparts and blocking off their experience altogether and providing nothing to keep the player engaged other than "spend money or get nothing new"

even @(*()$ Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms gives you free S#&$ from leveling up, one of the worst optimized F2P PC games ever

you dont need to keep the player chained down to get them to spend money, its the absolute opposite infact. this is a marketing tactic used by most F2P creators. so next time you tell someone "i dont think you know what you are talking about" make sure you know what you are talking about

Big NO to the warframe/weapons slots and potatoes.   DE needs to make money some how and those are great ways, and besides, its not like it is hard to make plat through the trading system.  Besides if you are playing the game enough that you are getting to the higher mastery ranks you should buy some plat to support DE for making a game you are putting a lot of time into.  

Should Mastery rank play a larger role, Yes.  But, giving out freebees like that, No.  The coming focus system, that has been delayed pretty bad, is supposed to tie in with the mastery rank system as well, so at least there is something to look forward too yet with regards to mastery. 

Right now Mastery unlocks:

-Exp locked weapons.

-Loadout slots.

-Number of drones you can have deployed at one time.

And like I said the Focus system will also tie into the Mastery system, so there is more to come.  DE has been saying for a long time that they want mastery to mean more than it does, it is just taking them time to do it.

did you know? in login rewards there is free plats given

There are some good and not so good points in here. At its core the MR should be changed to give people the will to push up all the way. Right now it is about achievements TBH, because after MR8 you don't really get anything but more daily trading capabilities.

With that said in terms of Frames/Weapon slots it can easily be noted that you are given what would be a solid F2P game loadout. By this I mean look at some other F2P games they offer similar if not even more restrictive starting slots. Sure everyone gets 50 Plat and can just but a few extra slots, but most new players have no clue and quickly spend it on other things before the realization hits. 

Yes you can buy everything in the game but some things require you to hit the trading market and this for a new player is a very discouraging area and usually leads to being turned off quickly. Honestly I feel that starting a player with 3 or 4 frames slots & 5 or 6 weapon slots is not going to break the bank at all.

In terms of what each MR would give that is honestly a tough spot because you won't ever be able to satisfy everyone.

It's been stated that Focus will play into Mastery with each Mastery rank giving you a slot for a focus ability/skill/etc, but the Focus System is being constantly tweaked and looked at over and over again, so who knows when that will happen.  And the loadout slots aren't really that useful.  At the moment the only real "benefits" are the number of trades you can make in a day, and extraction drone deployment.

Hell, since they keep retiring old equipment or event stuff one can only get when it happens, the actual amount of "mastery" one has access to at any given time is limited.

Not sure if you mentioned this yet, but I think all those fancy icons for mastery levels would make really nice progression badges...

i dont think they would ever make affinity boosters as rewards to anything since people actually buy a lot of those to rank up

they've been given out as event rewards before, so this statement is invalid

also, historically other games give early exp boosters in order to get the player hooked on that rush

Edited by weirdee

An easy one to justify is handing out some cosmetics for mastery rank; every 5 ranks you get something new. A new sugatra or badge for reaching rank 5, a distinct scarf or armor part with some kind of animation for reaching 15.

Mastery rank is SUPPOSED to allow you access to better equipment, but that idea has been so long abandoned that it's a joke now. The highest requirement in the game is only 8, which isn't terribly high, and most of the best weapons are lower than that.  Rather than try and spackle over it after the fact and lock people out of stuff they have already earned, just start introducing some new amazing stuff that has high mastery requirements. New weapons, maybe. New special sentinels? New mods?

(That would tie in especially nicely with unique mods being rewarded for mastering specific warframes.  So regular Vitality gives +440% of base health, but reaching rank 30 with Trinity (the healer) gives you a Master's Vitality might give +500% of base health plus increase pickup amount from health orbs, or add a weak form of regeneration. Reaching rank 30 on Frost might give you a Master's Retribution that triggers a PBAOE cold explosion whenever your shields go down, and mastering Rhino might give you a Master's Rush that gives a damage reduction bonus while you sprint.)

The resource gathering mechanic is not useful. High mastery players are overflowing with basic resources, and due to the randomness they can get more of a rare resource in an evening of targeted farming than resource gathering would give them in a month.  Far more useful would be to allow every player to deploy three gathering drones, and let us pick what specific thing they should try to gather, with a large speed bonus to completion based on mastery rank.

Hesitant to go really crazy with bonuses for mastery level since last we heard, the Focus system is still heavily based on it. Depending how awesome that is, it may make every other bonus related to mastery redundant.

Right now Mastery unlocks:

-Exp locked weapons.

-Loadout slots.

-Number of drones you can have deployed at one time.

And that's my personal problem with Mastery - apart from the weapons, it is in no way obvious (at least from the game itself) what things a higher mastery rank unlocks. I only realized that Mastery affects the number of trades per day when I wanted to trade with my alt and realized that I need at least MR2 to be allowed to trade at all.

Maybe a short message after you successfully completed a test, which says "You have unlocked 1 more deployable extractor, 1 trade per day", plus an overview in the profile which lists all the things affected by Mastery like "Deployable extractors: x = y base + z from Mastery rank".

people are being redirected here from the community hot topics to relay explanations for what mastery rewards should be given upon rank-up.

i won't give a list like the OP in terms of where and what, but i will give a few ideas.

slots (weapon / sentinel / warframe)

blueprints. (sentinel, weapon, etc.)

badges

vanity items (colors, sugatra, you name it)

kubrow egg maybe at a fairly high rank acquisition.

mods (a good way to help new players)

reduced credit prices on market / foundry

one-time use (but permanent until then) platinum discounts of high percentage. (75%) (maybe rank 10?)

as for extremely high ranks. (like 20+ when we get there)

possibly additional slots on warframes and weapons for additional mods. (limited to certain specific mods -- utility type stuff. maglev / intruder / etc)

otherwise exclusive warframes / weapons. (excalibur wraith / Dex Latron / things of that nature) -- anybody could acquire them simply by attaining that rank.

i could think of a few more, but this is a good synopsis of what i'm thinking.

I'm at MR15. I got there the long, hard way, by leveling every warframe and weapon I could. I've been playing for over a year, and I'm still leveling gear and the new frames that come out.

I don't oppose a reward system for master rank, but I don't support one either.

note that this geared towards people who cannot spend money on this game, so any comments like "no because you can just buy everything!" will be completely ignored

But what I do disagree with is this.

Why should DE start making content decisions to cater towards people who are committed to not spend anything to support them? I get that there are a lot of kids, teenagers, and apathetic adults who can't (or won't) support the game that they get to play for free. I'm happy for them, that there's an awesome free game for them to enjoy, and I'm glad that DE puts so much into making the game amazing for them and everyone.

But DE should never start engineering their game to cater towards people who won't support it. Then everyone would quit paying to support the game. That would spell out doom for the company and the game, and then those kids and teenagers wouldn't have anything awesome to play anymore.

As it is, DE already gives almost everything away for free, if you just spend some time earning/crafting it. The only things you can't get in game are slots, color pallets, and some cosmetics. Every weapon, every warframe, even a lot of cosmetic items (alt helms, weapons skins, and even some holiday color pallets) are all available in game, for free. That's already an unprecedented and, as far as I know, unmatched level of free content in F2P games.

I myself have only bought platinum for colors, slots, and the awesome para skin for my carrier. Everything else in my 15 Mastery Ranks has been made through patience and hard work. But that's just they way I am, and I'm super glad that there are people who don't want to wait and pay to support the game and get things instantly.

Because it means DE can keep making this awesome game for everyone, even the ones who can't pay a cent for it.

So, no. No to restructuring the game to catering even further to people who can't pay. Because I love this game and want it to continue.

I'm going to come in on this and say that I think the OP's system is actually too stingy. What I'd like to see is something like 1 (or even 2) weapon slots per rank, and 1 Warframe slot every 3-5 ranks. I think the platinum discounts are pointless, since most people come across the 20% fairly often.

With the most generous figures I've given, that would give me at MR17 an extra 34 weapon slots (I have about 150 slots, I'm a bit of a hoarder), so about a quarter of what I actually have. At one frame every 3, I'd have 5 extra frame slots, out of the 26 I have, soon to be 27.

Is this taking a substaintial amount of platinum out of DE's coffers?

No.

Is this making it easier for players to spend more, and feel like it's worth spending money on the game because they're playing it and enjoying it over long periods?

Yes.

Edited by SolarDwagon

On top of this i'd like to see them come out with some new tests again..

When I took MR15 it was the MR8 test.

Now MR15/MR16/MR17 are ALL Interception?

Please make some new tests for these ranks DE.

In the meantime I am protesting MR17 and refusing to rank up.. ;O

So, no. No to restructuring the game to catering even further to people who can't pay. Because I love this game and want it to continue.

Exactly, mastery rank shouldn't give something you can already obtain in game, but a special token of your level.

Why not a badge to proudly show your mastery rank?

You know, the ones that now are achievements.

I think that what Mastery currently unlocks (frames, weapons, extractors, loadout slots, trades) are perfectly fine but there needs to be more of it.

More frames should be mastery locked, more weapons should have higher mastery requirements, extractors should unlock more than 1 every 5 levels, loadout slots should unlock starting at M1 and one every level instead of starting at M4 and one every 2 levels, trades are pretty much ok though.

The game is advertised as F2P and the new player expects a comfortable and interesting game from this F2P standpoint. So when this new player gets into the game and sees that without paying for the CORE elements (Warframe and weapon slots, Catalysts and Reactors) it's very frustrating to play, most of them will just leave and never advise it to their frineds -> less players see the game -> the pool from where the players that are willing to pay is rapidly decreasing ( and overall pool of POTENTIAL buyers).

The biggest problems in warframe are warframe and weapon slots, these thing should be given with Mastery rank at a rate at of 1 frame slot per rank and at least 2! weapon slots per rank. I repeat, weapons and warframes are CORE to the game and the slots are the things that you can't get by simply playing.

Warframe should be appealing and solid as a F2P title, only then people would decide whether thay want to give their money and not the other way around.

2 points clear and concise

I'll be just repeating

People who are willing to buy will always buy, people who aren't won't but are potential buyers, If you really love a game you usually have a good chance to become willing to buy, but to love a game you need the game to give you enough to love it. Obviously, in terms of money item you just never give so much that it would actually deter people to pay, but it also depend of the circumstances around these money items themselves.

Still don't understand the trading market I see.

Where do the plat you get from trading come from? It come from people who buy plat, in short to enjoy the game you either need to pay or somone to pay for you.(*important)

This problem come from something else of course. Its because currently the goal/enjoyment in Warframe is about acquiring weapons and warframes ; and there is currently around 20 frames and 150 weapons? for let's say with starter plat 2-3 warframe slot and 4-6 weapons slots (don't remember the starter slots).

Just putting the worst case (ony theorical) someone can actually work out with 2 warframe and 6 weapons slot regularly throwing them out,

just ;

Even playing like that, because the game is about getting a bunch of weapons, it goes back to what I said earlier, you can't enjoy the game if you don't pay or if someone don't pay for you (F2P?).

And I'm not even talking about if we ever come to the point of 40 frames 350 weapons, though Warframe should have some other assets at the time.

That's why Slots are in a really awkward place, in comparison to every other buyable things in the game.

(*I said it somewhere else but it's only about the concept, as everyone already know in practice it still work correctly, obviously, but it's still dumb as a concept)

that's why I mentionned earlier that login has free plat, if you consider also the streams giveaway (there are also contest you know but it's more legitimate than a lottery). Login free plat in my opinion while it works [more or less] as a incentive to play regularly is also something that aknowledge that the system isn't perfect since it came out some time after some debate about plat (though I don't remember exactly what form and what the subject was about, and I also can't be sure that it's related of course)

Edited by Mokkania

Exactly, mastery rank shouldn't give something you can already obtain in game, but a special token of your level.

Why not a badge to proudly show your mastery rank?

You know, the ones that now are achievements.

Giving a badge per a rank is great idea. Also it would be nice to get some unique cosmetics like armors or syandanas or other stuff like this.