Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best End Game Solo Side Arm?

MetaMortred

Question

If you're honestly recommending Wraith Twin Vipers or Stug over Brakk and Marelok, you should probably stop giving advice.

Ignore this guy. He plays TheoreticalMaxDPSFrame, not Warframe. 1N33DM0N3Y already explained his reasoning for not choosing those weapons. Utility, usablity, and damage all play a role in selecting a weapon, not just damage. Also, if you kill an enemy, any extra damage that wasn't needed is effectively a waste. Unlikely that OP is going to be soloing more than 40 min in a T4 Survival (if so, props to you). 

Anyone else hate when people tell you you're wrong in a PvE game just because your theoretical loadout isn't as good as their theoretical loadout?

akbronco: http://goo.gl/8vnven

brakk: http://goo.gl/G1YYNh

akbronco a little better than brakk in burst dps

Somewhat irrelevant thanks to Brakk's ridiculous reload rate. Sustained DPS, Brakk wins hands down. And really, at those fire rate, it gets kind of exhausting to pull off max fire-rate consistently on the Akbronco Prime.

Anyhow, Brakk is good if you run with a mid-long range primary, whereas Marelok is better if you are using a short-mid range primary.

Between the two, I prefer Marelok for its greater versatility at different range. It might only have about half of Brakk's sustained DPS (which is still ridiculously high), but it is certainly a lot more safe to snipe a high level heavy from miles away than having to rush up close for a quick shot.

Somewhat irrelevant thanks to Brakk's ridiculous reload rate. Sustained DPS, Brakk wins hands down. And really, at those fire rate, it gets kind of exhausting to pull off max fire-rate consistently on the Akbronco Prime.

Anyhow, Brakk is good if you run with a mid-long range primary, whereas Marelok is better if you are using a short-mid range primary.

Between the two, I prefer Marelok for its greater versatility at different range. It might only have about half of Brakk's sustained DPS (which is still ridiculously high), but it is certainly a lot more safe to snipe a high level heavy from miles away than having to rush up close for a quick shot.

just wanted to mention that

slightly surprised no one mentioned akbronco prime

As a heavy user of the Akbronco Prime, yes the reload sucks. But keep in mind that sustained DPS assumes that there is never any downtime in killing enemies. Meaning you always have to be firing at max fire rate or reloading. Unrealistic. Burst damage is usually a more important number, except (as in this case) when a weapon's burst DPS is miles higher than it's sustained (meaning terrible reload downtime). Since I primarily use my primary weapon (haha, lame, I know), my secondary serves to kill surrounding enemies if I go down and need a teammate to revive me. Akbronco Prime is better for this than Brakk. Brakk is better for use when you're not in a downed state and playing solo.

EDIT: Regarding maxing out the fire rate of the Akbronco Prime, bind your fire key to your scroll wheel and play with graphic settings that allow for at least 60fps (even if you have to lower them). Being host also helps.

Edited by SpongyPenguin

I'm actually wondering if Tysis can kill 70+lvl Heavy Gunner with ease.

Generally, no. Tysis is a utility weapon, meaning it becomes more viable the farther you go in end-game material. It still takes a while to kill enemies due to the low DPS and need to get a bunch of corrosive procs in first, but if you don't have 4xCorrosive Projection, there will come a point where Tysis is the only weapon that can kill things. Usually, by that point, enemies one shot you and you're not engaging them in Wild West style pistol duels. Tysis can kill level 70 gunners really well compared to most weapons if: 1) you don't have 4xCP aura and 2) you have some sort of utility skill (volt shield, for example) to keep yourself from dying first.

Generally, no. Tysis is a utility weapon, meaning it becomes more viable the farther you go in end-game material. It still takes a while to kill enemies due to the low DPS and need to get a bunch of corrosive procs in first, but if you don't have 4xCorrosive Projection, there will come a point where Tysis is the only weapon that can kill things. Usually, by that point, enemies one shot you and you're not engaging them in Wild West style pistol duels. Tysis can kill level 70 gunners really well compared to most weapons if: 1) you don't have 4xCP aura and 2) you have some sort of utility skill (volt shield, for example) to keep yourself from dying first.

Which means Tysis can kill faster if it procs corrosive more then 3 times I guess?

I classify the sidearms I like into broad categories wrt their handling. Wrt to their theoretical damage, I am not so concerned as long as it is relatively easy to... well.. kill things.

Brakk - This is a weapon I favor due to the convenience (fast fire rate, less need for aiming). Just aim in the general direction and empty the whole mag to riddle the general are with projectiles. If you have punch through, it is even more joyful to use, hitting stuff behind obstacles, other enemies, and even your teammates. Damage fall-off though.

Lex Prime, Marelok - Both are what I'll call pocket snipers. They should be used with careful and deliberate aim at weak points, hoping to take out at least one enemy per shot. Of these two, I would say Lex Prime has (appearance) "class", while Marelok has (animation) "style" (though it looks "grineerly ugly"). Compared with Brakk, these weapons takes more skill to be used properly, but I find that it is fun/satisfying when a player can use it well, zipping through the mission and taking down enemies with carefully aimed, but fast shots than other perhaps more "easy" weapons. Unlike Brakk, this pair has no range limitations and you can snipe at the furthest enemies if you have a steady aim (forget it if you equip mods which reduces accuracy though). For Marelok, due to the insanely high status chance achievable (practically procs every shot), it is particularly versatile: I have 2 builds, one which procs Gas/Magnetic (compensating for the low fire rate,  gas creates small AOE that can damage/take out weaker mobs in one shot. VERY good against infested/derelict missions), another with Corrosive/Blast ("Stunlok". especially good against some bosses, like the Gate Crash sisters.)

Akstilleto - this is my favorite for smg category. It may lacks the concentrated killing power of the weapons above, but its fast reload, good handling and small magazine (yes. small magazine actually a plus here as it helps control ammo usage better than stuff like Vipers), makes it a general and good weapon to go run-and-gun. Gives the experience of a more sophisticated modern gunslinger :)

As for Tysis and Stug, my personal preference rules these out. The former's sound effect reminds of something lashing its tongue, while the latter gives me a headache with the shaking. But it's just my preference, doesn't mean they are not good.