The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Hydroids Extinct?

Suuns

Question

9 answers to this question

• Its hard to get;

• His abilities are counter intuitive (by maxing duration, you hinder certain powers, while boosting others)

• His 3rd ability is just for the laugh, it isnt really useful

• His 2nd ability is a high cost rhino charge/excal slash dash

Even though he is nice at CC, he is really just average.

Hydroids were a little overhyped when it was released, since it was the drop from the new Vay Hek boss. A boss that was hidden behind a MASSIVE grindwall.

So when players finally got their Hydroid, only to find that he wasn't very good at anything, it was kind of a bummer. It was simply more effective to use other, more powerful frames, that did what he does but better, and you know, actually killing things.

This isn't to say that Hydroid's bad. He's just not good.

His attacks are all about land-grab/crowd control, knocking people over and stuff. Basically just abilities to keep swarms busy while somebody else comes in to do the heavy lifting.

Hydroid for what i have seen with the very few i have met its a pretty nice support, offering tons of CC and alot of combo potential with other Warframes and his stats arent all that bad either.

Problem is that in order to get him DE though it would be a great idea to put him behind like 3 grind walls:

- 1 wall: Grinding Galeon missions waiting for a Guandsman eximus to spawn.

- 2 wall: hoping to have the right element and kill him and pray to RNGesus that you get the beacon you need to finish building the coordinates.

- 3 wall: Go to earth with said location and kill the new chicken Hek and once again pray to RNGesus that he drops the part you need to build Hydroid.

Hes a good frame (and his desing is among the best) but the steps to get them are just too annoying for even the most hardcore of grinders. if only we could have the coordinates permanently once we find them for the first time maybe i would bother to look for the dam beacons but for now i prefer to keep lvling my Oberon. Hell i even have his Pirate Hat Helmet waiting for one day when i get the him.

If you have the time and patience then go and get him, hes an amazing frame with tons of potential yet to be discovered, just make sure to go with friends so the grinding isnt so annoying. I heard DE fixed some of the drops a few patches back so getting to him may not be as annoying so best of luck.

Edited by The_Sharp_Demonologist

Hydroid gets a bum rap but he is a great frame. As others have said he is not an easy one to get. You need to go to Ceres, a very high level planet, to farm a specific enemy type for the crafting components for a key to reach the boss that drops his parts. It took me five runs to get all the parts myself but much longer to get the crafting components for the keys. 

I use Hydroid a lot. It took some time to figure out how to make his abilities work but once you do he is awesome. Mod for damage and efficiency. Duration mods are a hindrance to his 1st and 4th ability. So use Blind Rage and Fleeting expertise to increase damage and efficiency but decrease duration. So they take high level mods that are relatively difficult to get in order to maximize his usefulness. 

His third ability everyone says is useless but it is awesome. If you need health or ammo restores you can drop them while your shields recharge and you do not take damage. You can cover extract, the pod in infested defense, or cover someone from melee attacks while they revive a team mate. That ability is locked to power not duration so efficiency mods make this last awhile. It does around 50 damage per second on my build so it actually can kill enemies. 

He is a good frame. Better than most give him credit for. I think that might be part of the reason why relatively few players have him. It can be time consuming for his parts, I think people know that and given his reputation for being called "meh" all the time is a contributing factor to many players not putting in the work to get him. 

Hydroid is a fantastic CC frame to the point where he actually hinders your group's ability to kill enemies.  As a result, he is inferior to Vauban (who was recently buffed as Vortex can be even larger now).  He is worth getting for the mastery and appearance but will see little usage outside of Mobile Defense and maybe Interception (as killing enemies is not strictly required).

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph