Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scindo Prime - First Impression

Yazeth

Question

The stats of Scindo Prime currently: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Scindo_Prime

It looks obvious that the dmg that this new weapon deals basically tops all of the current melee weapons. 85 base dmg and 1.0 attack speed puts it up to par with the Dragon Nikana. Also, if you are using the Broken Bull combo in the Cleaving Whirlwind stance, you can deal 340 base dmg per hit on the spin. You can even hit twice per spin,which can potentially lead to a whopping 680 base dmg, which just blows the Dakra Prime + C.D. out of the water. 

Now, downsides. Since it's a heavy weapon, you will not be able to copter. There is also a lack of mobility for the combo (this can be fixed by butt-scooting in between spins though during Broken Bull). If you are more into speed and mobility, the Scindo Prime may deter you. 

In conclusion, the Scindo Prime is a great new Prime addition to the Tenno Arsenal and can easily be seen as an end-game weapon almost immediately, but only for those who have the patience to use it.

22 answers to this question

Holy crap.. that damage. But what the hell is that powercreep? This thing outclasses a mastery rank 8 weapon (dragon nikana) in terms of damage (using cleaving whirlwind), as well as the fabled dakra + crimson dervish. It's gonna have a massive ground slam AoE like all heavy melees as well. If this thing has a mastery rank requirement lower than 7 the scindo prime is going to be the next boltor prime.

Holy crap.. that damage. But what the hell is that powercreep? This thing outclasses a mastery rank 8 weapon (dragon nikana) in terms of damage (using cleaving whirlwind), as well as the fabled dakra + crimson dervish. It's gonna have a massive ground slam AoE like all heavy melees as well. If this thing has a mastery rank requirement lower than 7 the scindo prime is going to be the next boltor prime.

Ahem... heavy weapon, they should have high damage.

Also, the embolist is a MR8 weapon and it's mediocre at best.

Please note that a 1.0 attack speed on a heavy weapon is much slower than a 1.0 attack speed on a long/dual sword(s).  Comparing DPS is not as simple as calculating damage against attack speed, especially as stances directly impact both attack speed and damage multipliers.  While Scindo may be incredibly powerful, I am extremely skeptical that it will outperform Dual Ichors, Dragon Nikana, Dakra Prime and the like.

Please note that a 1.0 attack speed on a heavy weapon is much slower than a 1.0 attack speed on a long/dual sword(s).

That makes no sense.

Only if they really messed up their melee system ...... given the actual Warframe status with 50% crap abilities and spamming 4 I believe this is the case.

Just saying, this weapon is easily on par with the endgame mr6+ weapons (dragon nikana, dakra prime, dual ichors) so if the mr requirement on this is 2 or 3, this thing's gonna be the only melee you'll ever see. 

mastery rank doesn't mean everything

mastery rank doesn't mean everything

It doesn't, but weapons should be placed in mastery ranks according to their relative strength. I mean, look at the boltor prime, arguably the best rifle in the game and it's mastery rank 2. There was a massive thread in weapons feedback about how the boltor prime should be moved to a higher mastery rank because if you get it at mr2, suddenly, there's no point in grinding your way through the remaining ranks to get to the other high tier primaries (eg: soma, synapse, amprex).

That makes no sense.

Only if they really messed up their melee system ...... given the actual Warframe status with 50% crap abilities and spamming 4 I believe this is the case.

It does make sense. Fire rate on a gun has no animation besides spawning a bullet/projectile in the game world. A melee weapon, however, has to go through an attack animation before its hitboxes become active. A Scindo's attack animations take a lot more time to wind up than, say a Zoren's anims.

Just saying, this weapon is easily on par with the endgame mr6+ weapons (dragon nikana, dakra prime, dual ichors) so if the mr requirement on this is 2 or 3, this thing's gonna be the only melee you'll ever see. 

I have a feeling the slow and clunky attack speed will put a lot of players off unless they're using Cleaving Whirlwind (which many players don't have). You can't really spam the regular attack and hope to move very far.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

It's such a shame. It's a very niche weapon. I think a slight range boost would make it so much more viable and fun. As is, if I'm getting up and close to enemies, I'll have a lot more fun meleeing them with an Orthos Prime or Kronen (that stance is so user friendly) than holding my left mouse button and... misting with colorful gas?

And don't even get me started on my precious baby: the Supra. Given that it requires about 7-8 Forma to max out (including 1 to build), it should perform a LOT better than a MR2 Boltor Prime. And it has some HUGE, HUGE downsides. Reload. Accuracy. Almost 0 status chance. Ammo Efficiency (lack there of).

Seriously, DE. You buffed the Torid and Miter, please take another look at the Supra. Sure, it's not a weak weapon, but it has so many downsides compared to most newly released weaons.

#BuffTheSupra

I have a feeling the slow and clunky attack speed will put a lot of players off unless they're using Cleaving Whirlwind (which many players don't have). You can't really spam the regular attack and hope to move very far.

That's true. The Scindo Prime is definitely going to be top-tier vs infested though, for sure.

Please note that a 1.0 attack speed on a heavy weapon is much slower than a 1.0 attack speed on a long/dual sword(s).  Comparing DPS is not as simple as calculating damage against attack speed, especially as stances directly impact both attack speed and damage multipliers.  While Scindo may be incredibly powerful, I am extremely skeptical that it will outperform Dual Ichors, Dragon Nikana, Dakra Prime and the like.

Also, the Scindo Prime only outperforms if every swing hits every target your intend to kill.  So in terms of pure numbers, sure.  The Scindo is the best.  But in an actual combat situation, how often are you going to get every single of those seven swings to connect?

It does make sense. Fire rate on a gun has no animation besides spawning a bullet/projectile in the game world. A melee weapon, however, has to go through an attack animation before its hitboxes become active. A Scindo's attack animations take a lot more time to wind up than, say a Zoren's anims.

I meant between the weapons in the same weapon class.

Melee - ranged.

That makes no sense.

It makes sense, the weapon's attack speed is basically a multiplier to the base attack speed supplied by its stance and animations.

Scindo Prime is best if you can cleave through a line of enemies around you.

Anything else it is inefficient due to speed and how often you are open due to Broken Bull.

A Dual Ichor/Dragon Nikana/Crimson Dervish will still do better against single targets due to the ease of targeting after all.