Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Sentients And The Current Damage System

Morec0

Okay, so I think one of things on everyone's mind when they think about adding a four faction into the game is "how will they feature into the current damage system"?  Well, an idea just struck me a little while ago and I propose this to you all now:

Based on the limited Lore we have of the Sentients - specifically the Excalibur Codex entry - we know they are capable of turning technology against whoever uses it against them. With that in mind the idea crossed me as "hey, what if THAT was how they functioned in the damage system!"

What do I mean by that? It's simple, really:

They "absorb" what damage types you use against them as the mission progresses, the mobs you encounter later on becoming partially immune to them and then having their attacks deal that type of status to you.

For example: if you used corrosive against them, you kill a few of the light-armored Sentient units with it but a few rooms over you come across lightly armored enemies that are no longer being effected by your corrosive weapons like they were before. They've absorbed it, taken it and turned it against you. While I hesitate to propose this effect: it could potentially be that they would also be able to combining elemental types in themselves as well: i.e., after being immune to Cold and Electric Damage for a while they become immune to Magenetism instead.

As you stop using the damage they are immune to against them, though, over time that immunity will fade allowing you to switch back to it to deal the initial damage you did with that first time all over again.

This system provided a constantly-evolving challenge, one requiring far more than simple run-and-gun coordination to best counteract but would be possible to do so against nonetheless in more solo situations.

I feel like non-elemental effects, slash and impact and whatnot, should be left out, however, in order to provide players with an incentive to, rather than go through the hassle of dealing with these elemental types evolution simply deal consistent damage through physical damage of the base damage types.

Any thoughts on this? It's a little rough, aye, but I personally think there may be some idea here - and NO, NOT just 'cause I'm the one who wrote it!

I'd simplify it to something like the Borg. After a bunch of hits they become immune to one damage type but become vulnerable to the rest. After a few hits with something else they lose their old immunity and gain the new one. No fading or multiple immunities.

That's probably better.

I'd simplify it to something like the Borg. After a bunch of hits they become immune to one damage type but become vulnerable to the rest. After a few hits with something else they lose their old immunity and gain the new one. No fading or multiple immunities.

The problem therein, though, is most weapons possess more than one form of damage that aren't just combine elements. In this idea, would it take from the most prominent damage (ie, the damage type that's contributing the most damage) or does it randomize?

The problem therein, though, is most weapons possess more than one form of damage that aren't just combine elements. In this idea, would it take from the most prominent damage (ie, the damage type that's contributing the most damage) or does it randomize?

Exactly.

Tricky. Good thinking, but this is assuming they actually turned weaponry.

They were vulnerable to cutting weapons and bullets, and void powers.

So what stops us from using soma and Galatine only? Unless they use powers of their own, twisting reality, corrupting robots and traps, allies and perhaps effecting weapons in a bad way.

Would be interesting if they besides soaking dmg, allso caused status effects and caused weapons to malfunction, lower dmg and firerate, become toxic etc.

Very good topic, this!

Tricky. Good thinking, but this is assuming they actually turned weaponry.

They were vulnerable to cutting weapons and bullets, and void powers.

So what stops us from using soma and Galatine only? Unless they use powers of their own, twisting reality, corrupting robots and traps, allies and perhaps effecting weapons in a bad way.

Would be interesting if they besides soaking dmg, allso caused status effects and caused weapons to malfunction, lower dmg and firerate, become toxic etc.

Very good topic, this!

I'm not assuming they turned weaponry, I'm assuming they turned technology. The Technocyte virus, the case study that I base all of this off of, WAS technology, and the mod system we use to empower our not-already-elemental-based weapons with technology can certainly be considered such. Things like the Infested weapons are spawned from the Technocyte - technology. The Castanas and their electrical damage also are more than simple "shoot and slash" technology.

As my post states, I think the best exception to this WOULD be your basic Slash, Impact, and Puncture "physical damage" types, to give players who don't want to mess around with the whole "rotation" aspect of the idea a consistent way to dealing with them without having it come around to bite them back in some fashion.

And I would imagine that if they absorbed the magnetic damage of my modded-Castanas, they'd start going all Infested Disruptor on my &#!.

• 9 months later...

A bump just to ask a simple question:

Did I partially-predict how they would be? Based on that recent Crewman Synthesis I think I wasn't THAT far off.

Was predicted by the community when Steve said like the Borg in a devstream lol

Umm Archwing just got more skillful <3

Btw, I guess we will need some status mods for AW now :( lol

Increase

Slash

Puncture

Impact

Punchthrough

And the Opposite. Resistance Mods too.

Edited by (XB1)LordPuck