Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are Physical Damage Mods Ever Worth It?

Vallerian

Question

10 answers to this question

Depends. If you have a predominantly slash weapon (80%+ of its physical on Slash) that you intend to use primarily against Infested, then yes. In that case, it becomes better than an additional elemental, because it provides 96%+ damage. Otherwise, if you are fighting against Grineer or Corpus with it, not so much, due to damage reduction.

That said, one of the more gimmicky reasons for using it is to increase your chance of slash proc (over your other elemental proc, since the type of proc seems to depend somewhat on the how much of your damage is from that source) for bisecting bodies when you are desecrating.

They let you keep damage types.

Like if you have two slots left and you want just cold. You can't put another 90% on there because you'll change your cold to something else. So you slap on the +120% slash damage and still get something for the slot. Assuming it's a slash heavy weapon.

I use all the I/P/S melee mods available on my melees (I use rending strike along with sundering strike on fang prime but I don't triple stack it onto my slash based weapons with jagged edge and buzz kill), I have accelerated blast on my hek since the fire rate helps it along with the extra damage, and sweeping serration on the drakgoon (and soon to be the tigris), and then as others have said I've got fanged fusillade on my dread.

Edited by rapt0rman

great for proc weapons in conflict

individual physical mods dont affect the proc dmg only mods that increase the total base dmg do.

theyre only useful when you have nothing better to put on (which is usually only on some melee builds)

Edited by Echoa

Most of the physical damage mods are lackluster with the exception of the new event mods. For weapons with high slash base, the new event mods (NEM) will give a larger increase in base damage than a 90% elemental mod. However, I'd only recommend them on weapons where you can proc slash often. Slash procs are 'armor ignore' and increases from your base damage which is increased by the NEMs, unlike elemental damage mods that don't increase base damage. Miter, Dread, Flux Rifle, and others can make good use of these mods.

TL;DR: For slash damge, maybe, if you have the new event mods. In general? No.