Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question About Primary Weapon

Phoenix86

Question

Hi all guys,

I wanted to ask a couple things to the community:

Atm i'm Mastery lvl 2 and i'm using a Strun as primary weapon, it is excellent for close combat and i just found an electric and a fire dmg mods but in defense missions against greeners it's close to impossible to play with it! (range)

So i was thinking, what would be the best rifle to use when i need range? I was thinking about the Boltor (specifically modded with Electric dmg and armor piercing)

This way i could equip:

Shotgun "fire modded" against infested

Rifle "electric modded" against greener

Shotgun "electric modded" against corpus

What do u think?

Is there a better rifle than Boltor to use against Grinners at mid range? (i consider myself a skilled player when it comes down to aim accurately and doing burst fire)

One last question the side arm... Kraken or Lex ? Is the "double shot" of Kraken manageable?

9 answers to this question

Let's see...

Boltor is one of the better choices when it comes to getting rid of Grineer or headshotting Corpus. It's rate of fire kinda compensates for its rather inaccurate projectiles. Shotguns kinda have that its awesome multishot mod that damages alot even if the enemy is quite far away. (I use a Hek, quite heavily modded. It kills far / mid / close ranged targets easily) 

Any gun is good to go against Grineer if it has the armor-piercing mod! But Boltor has the innate one.

Kraken or Lex....I've used a Kraken before, its heavily damaging...to anything. But my Akbolto also solves any of my fights. Far / Mid / Close range. But between Kraken or Lex....my money's on Kraken. It's double shot is nothing too hard to control.

What do u think?

Is there a better rifle than Boltor to use against Grinners at mid range? (i consider myself a skilled player when it comes down to aim accurately and doing burst fire)

One last question the side arm... Kraken or Lex ? Is the "double shot" of Kraken manageable?

It's not a rifle, but I find the Paris works best against Grineer at mid to long ranges (ignores armor, does full damage) and often an insta-kill on headshots. You need to get used to the arrow trajectory though. For rfiles, the Burston is nice too but I know some players hate the burst pattern - I gave it some time and mastered it to reliably nail headshots at mid range.

The Kraken's second bullet from its burst has a pretty severe kick. At mid ranges you should aim at their chest/stomach area, I make sure the second bullet lands on their head this way.

Boltor's not bad, but you have to keep in mind the bolt travel time if you're using it at range. It takes practice to hit moving targets with it. Plus when it does connect it can cause enemies to stagger around, possibly missing shots as you have to adjust.

Lex vs Kraken - I've only used Lex so can't really give an unbiased opinion there. Do have it at 30 though, and it seems fairly respectable.

Depends on how much range we're talking, once you get to rank 4 replace it with the HEK which is still good @ range but obviously the normal rifles are better.

Boltor is reasonably accurate but its crit chance sucks .
Braton (either the mk-1 or normal) is the most balanced gun between accuracy/range/clip size.
Gorgon is good for a large gun once you have the ammo mods for it.
Burston yeah i hate this thing with a passion but some people like the 3 burst fire for accuracy.
Latron is a good mix between sniper and accuracy but still classed as a normal rifle.

In terms of the Kraken, its 2 shot burst is okay and easy to manage but i would definitely take the Lex over it or if you already have the pistol scavenger artifact the viper/twin vipers are awesome but chew through ammo like no tomorrow...

Make sure to put Armor Piercing damage on your weps if you can find it, doesnt help with infected but for everything else its good :D

It's not a rifle, but I find the Paris works best against Grineer at mid to long ranges (ignores armor, does full damage) and often an insta-kill on headshots. You need to get used to the arrow trajectory though. For rfiles, the Burston is nice too but I know some players hate the burst pattern - I gave it some time and mastered it to reliably nail headshots at mid range.

The Kraken's second bullet from its burst has a pretty severe kick. At mid ranges you should aim at their chest/stomach area, I make sure the second bullet lands on their head this way.

It's not a rifle? what do u mean?

No, i wont use Bow, all of my friends use it and i hate use the same stuff everyone's using :p

Lex is better for headshots, Kraken for bodyshots with a chance for a second headshot.

Really boils down to how carefully you aim.

+AP % mods work just fine against Infested, and especially important against Ancients (does more dmg than fire to them btw)

Boltor is the best anti-grineer rifle, but Akbolto is better than Boltor for close-midrange.

Hek is a great shotgun for Grineer or Corpus, but Strun is better for Infested.

You do NOT want to use electric mods against anything but Corpus or as filler after everything else is in. Grineer only take ~50% elec damage.

I would recommend ideally;

Infested: Strun, Akbolto (Strun for Chargers, Akbolto tears through Ancients)

Corpus: Latron/Burston/Braton, Dual Viper (Depending on how you like single shot/burst shot/full auto. DV with a slower click macro is aaaaamazing for Corpus)

Grineer: Gorgon, Lex (Lex for most things (one shot kill), Gorgon for heavies/bosses)

Or easier to obtain:

Infested: Strun, Bolto (see above, bolto is still decent against ancients)

Corpus: Burston/Braton, any pistol (whether you like burst, and wont be using pistol much)

Grineer: Boltor, Lex (Boltor is easier to get than Gorgon, and equally as powerful (better against commander types, worse against gunners)

I just need to pick a rifle highly effective against grineers (and maybe corpus) at mid/not_so_long range in defense missions

Than that's the Boltor.

Personally tho Strun/Lex is an incredible combo for every class, and Boltor pairs great with a Lex, so I would recommend getting a Lex before the Boltor.

Swap Kraken for Lex if you bodyshot and cant be bothered to go for headshots.