Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gtx 970 Vs 980

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

So a few months ago I made a thread asking about what GFX I should get, well it was decided that I should get the GTX 770.

However, I then saw that nVidia had some teasers about Maxwell and well here it is folks! Super duper cards at cheap prices. GTX 970 should sell at around $350->£220 and the GTX 980 at around £330 give or take...

So which do I buy? I can get either one but wasting money is never good, what do you guys think?

Not much experience with Nvidia GPUs, since I use AMD myself; but I think this can help:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

Nvidia products are usually too pricey for me; and even more usually there's a better AMD GPU at the same price (usually, not always).

Have a bumpity bump OP, maybe it'll attract someone with experience. Like the DogeBombard mod, he knows his stuff.

Edited by Lukap99

The 970 is REALLY cheap (in comparison to the 980). I mean, it's nearly $200 less than the 980. That's a very attractive price for the latest generation of Nvidia hardware.

$330 for what's essentially the newest generation GPU. My wallet is burning a hole in my trousers.

The 970 is REALLY cheap (in comparison to the 980). I mean, it's nearly $200 less than the 980. That's a very attractive price for the latest generation of Nvidia hardware.

$330 for what's essentially the newest generation GPU. My wallet is burning a hole in my trousers.

Haha, want to see a joke?

Yeah I shall wait for now, freaking Amazon >.>

I think you shouldn't trust sites like GPU boss, they give score systems which don't mean anything in particular.

I would go on Nvidia's site itself and check http://www.hwcompare.com for more detailed benchmarks.

I think 970 is better than a 770, although texel rate is slightly off in favor of 770, which is something you should look at for in gaming, but it uses much less power than a 770.

If you were in my country, expect the price to rise at least by 50 pounds because of VAT and import tax.  LOL! :)

Doesn't that price already have Tax/VAT added for you though?

Amazon lists US prices without tax. 

Also: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-Nvidia-GeForce-Graphics-Express/dp/B00NPRH3P0/

Ahh didn't know that, my bad ^^

AFAIK yes our prices have VAT and whatnot already slapped on. I will order it mid october, because of black friday. If prices change within a month of purchase Amazon gives you back moneys, so I shall abuse that system ^^

Not a fan of Palit, also been eyeing Asus for that DCu2

Ahh didn't know that, my bad ^^

AFAIK yes our prices have VAT and whatnot already slapped on. I will order it mid october, because of black friday. If prices change within a month of purchase Amazon gives you back moneys, so I shall abuse that system ^^

Not a fan of Palit, also been eyeing Asus for that DCu2

Yeah. The $330/350 for USD is before tax, which means the price gets bumped up to $360~380 depending on the state it's ordered in. Though that does only turn into about 230 pounds. 

280 pounds is about $450 USD.

Yeah. The $330/350 for USD is before tax, which means the price gets bumped up to $360~380 depending on the state it's ordered in. Though that does only turn into about 230 pounds. 

280 pounds is about $450 USD.

Ugh, I wish I could just go on a "holiday" shopping to America and just do my electronics shopping there.

PS. What set up do you have?

Ugh, I wish I could just go on a "holiday" shopping to America and just do my electronics shopping there.

PS. What set up do you have?

If you have a friend in the US you could always wire them the money, they could buy it for you and then ship it to you.

As for setup, currently running a GTX 680.

the 970 isn't that much better than the 770, really the only upgrade is the DirectX12

the 980 is a fairly big upgrade compared to the 780.

However it looks like Nvidia is waiting until after AMD drop their new cards to release the 980TI, which likely will be godly.

My own PC build is is a ways off, so I'll be waiting on that to drop.

The 900s are already out? How are they price wise compared to the 700s?

As a GTX 770 user, I am following this thread with great interest.

The 970 is much better than the 770, especially considering power usage. I saw a post where they OC'd a 970 (or 980, forgot) to 2.1 GHz and that was achievable through great cooling and the fact that they use very little resources to achieve great power. I am so happy I avoided buying the 770 ^^

the 970 isn't that much better than the 770, really the only upgrade is the DirectX12

the 980 is a fairly big upgrade compared to the 780.

However it looks like Nvidia is waiting until after AMD drop their new cards to release the 980TI, which likely will be godly.

My own PC build is is a ways off, so I'll be waiting on that to drop.

The GTX 970 (for the price) seems very very good. Currently it lacks behind the GTX 980 by 10-15 frames which are only noticeable in higher resolutions.

As a 1080p user the GTX 970 seems perfect for the price, however if you use 1440p or higher a GTX 980 will fit more nicely. The GTX 970 can handle 4k at 30 ish frames but don't see it being future proof for anything higher than 1440p (even that is borderline).

Anyway, right now all people who benchmarked have used Beta drivers for it probably on DX 11. Next year DX 12 coming out and by then nVidia will have their drivers fleshed out too, can only see this getting better.