Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Having Issues Hosting Just Recently.

VodnikXVI

I used to be able to host all the time no problem. Recently I started having the issue of hosting games. It seems people lag in my game when theres more than  2 other people in the game (before that it was more than 1 person and then every1 would lag). My internet service hasnt changed and neither has my router/modem and they are relatively new. My skype calls dont lag when others claim they are lagging. I thought maybe it was my CAT-5 wire because it's about 10 years old but im using a wireless USB adapter and the issue still happens. The only thing that has changed since before I was hosting fine and now is I reinstalled the game and cleared my CMOS because I was having an issue where id have blue screen crashes with warframe exclusively. 

I dont know how to embed pictures into the thread so my speedtest.net results were

15mb/s download

8ping

500mb/s upload

I also ran a tracert to warframe.com

and tests 1 - 13 were fine

and tests 14-30 were timed out.

If theres any other information you may need to help me solve the issue feel free to ask. 

I wonder if that 500mb/s is supposed to be kb/s?  

Because that would probably be a problem. 

Why can't you all just write the whole term down? Many people do forget the upper cases... kb/s are kilobit per second.

kB/s are kilobyte per second

No way to host with 15 kB/s upstream bandwidth. That's not even enough for 1 client. 100 kB/s at least for

Defense/Mobile Defense/Survival missions. If the OP means kilobit it's alot worse. 15 kb/s are ~1,8 kB/s.

That's not even the overhead traffic for a simple google query :p

Warframe needs at least 1 mb/s to upload, that's what i've read.

But don't worry, i have the same issue and my upload speed it's very good.

3791133425.png

So i have  ~5.6 mb/s and i can't host... mission will be stated as "Failed".

55.97 Mb/s (megabit per second) equal 6996.25 kB/s (kilobyte per second) equal 6.83228 MB/s (megabyte per second).

If you have the pc specs, and the internet speed, and others complain of lag, it's likely because you are A) also downloading/uploading, or B) playing on a laptop over wifi, instead of a desktop over ethernet.  Laptops throttle constantly to deal with heat, pair that with signal interference, and consistency issues from wifi, and it doesn't matter that you have the system specs, and fast internet, you are going to make a bad host.

From a gaming standpoint laptops and anything wireless is a big NO NO. Sure the tech has come along way, but it's not where it needs to be for gaming.

The minimum upload is over 1Mbps, I personally say that should really be a number between 3-10Mbps, but anything above 1Mbps will get the job done.  

Last thing to note is don't download crap while hosting on a peer to peer game. Turn off auto updates, please do not be that person.

3792621946.png

and everyone seems to be missing the part where i said...NOTHING HAS CHANGED AND I WAS HOSTING FINE BEFORE.

Your upload is less than half of the minimum required. Maybe your ISP decided to throttle you, but that is well below an average high speed connection. 

thats what my speeds have always been

Ok ignoring you do not have the up speed to host. You mention others claim you lag on skype, but you don't notice it. I have to ask... laptop? wifi? Both? 

Give me something more to go on. PC specs and connection type. There could be more contributing factors, but even then a slow connection like that is not going to be a good host even if you don't notice it others sure will.

I used to be able to host all the time no problem. Recently I started having the issue of hosting games. It seems people lag in my game when theres more than  2 other people in the game (before that it was more than 1 person and then every1 would lag). My internet service hasnt changed and neither has my router/modem and they are relatively new. My skype calls dont lag when others claim they are lagging. I thought maybe it was my CAT-5 wire because it's about 10 years old but im using a wireless USB adapter and the issue still happens. The only thing that has changed since before I was hosting fine and now is I reinstalled the game and cleared my CMOS because I was having an issue where id have blue screen crashes with warframe exclusively. 

I dont know how to embed pictures into the thread so my speedtest.net results were

15mb/s download

8ping

500mb/s upload

I also ran a tracert to warframe.com

and tests 1 - 13 were fine

and tests 14-30 were timed out.

If theres any other information you may need to help me solve the issue feel free to ask. 

Desktop:

i5-3570k - overclocked to 4.2 GHz

GTX 660ti - not over clocked

16GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

Netgear wireless USB dual band WIFI adapter

OR

Cat-5 Ethernet plugged directly into the router

Edited by VodnikXVI

Desktop:

i5-3570k - overclocked to 4.2 GHz

GTX 660ti - not over clocked

16GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

Netgear wireless USB dual band WIFI adapter

OR

Cat-5 Ethernet plugged directly into the router

That should be ok as a host box. You should probably get a newer cable, cat 5 is outdated. Cat 5E or Cat 6. I'm going to assume your motherboard supports gigabit ethernet, not knowing what router you have or if the firmware is up to date. I'd say try bypassing the router and connecting directly to your modem, If people are still complaining about lag then it's because of the slow upspeed you are getting from your ISP. Unless of course you are surfing the net watching youtube or doing other things while trying to host, is anyone or anything else sharing your bandwidth when hosting? Do you have neighbors leeching off your wifi?

At the end of the day even if you streamline everything else. That upspeed is just not going to make for a good host in a peer to peer game, I'd imagine just one person joining mid game would be enough to cause a host migration. Your upspeed is also more than likely the reason people are claiming you lag on skype.

That should be ok as a host box. You should probably get a newer cable, cat 5 is outdated. Cat 5E or Cat 6. I'm going to assume your motherboard supports gigabit ethernet, not knowing what router you have or if the firmware is up to date. I'd say try bypassing the router and connecting directly to your modem, If people are still complaining about lag then it's because of the slow upspeed you are getting from your ISP. Unless of course you are surfing the net watching youtube or doing other things while trying to host, is anyone or anything else sharing your bandwidth when hosting? Do you have neighbors leeching off your wifi?

At the end of the day even if you streamline everything else. That upspeed is just not going to make for a good host in a peer to peer game, I'd imagine just one person joining mid game would be enough to cause a host migration. Your upspeed is also more than likely the reason people are claiming you lag on skype.

When I lag in game my skype call DOES NOT lag for the third time. Warframe alone lags exclusively. And I typically dont surf the web when im playing.

As for the bandwith I started experiencing the issue when no one else has been home to share the bandwidth. As for the CAT-5 I thought that was the issue but how come it still happens with my wireless USB adapter. I would get a CAT-6 but my computer is down the hall from the router so that would mean running a new wire through the addict again (which is more of a crawl space) and id need about 100ft of wire.

Wireless is bad for gaming, ethernet and old cat 5 is a better option then even the newest wireless tech available currently.  It's your up speed and likely your ISP is throttling your connection since after checking your ISP it seems to have an absurdly low monthly usage cap. Of course I personally think any company with a usage cap should (better left unsaid).

When others complain your skype call is lagging and you say it isn't. Chances are it's lagging. skype call plus hosting warframe  with a .42 Mbps upload nope the times you didn't lag you were most likely not the host. 

Short of getting a faster connection. I would try to ensure you don't host by going into the options and change the setting from auto detect or desktop to LAPTOP. That will help to minimize the times you are chosen as a host, which should result in a smoother game for all involved.  If you play with friends and one has a better connection, have him/her invite you and let him/her host.

I host for my clan most the time, and I play solo when nobody is around. On occasion I join pugs, if I end up host all is good, if I don't it's a crap shoot on if the host can handle being host. They really need more options then they currently have to ensure good hosting.

If you absolutely must host get a faster connection. If you can't in your area, either move somewhere you can, or don't host.

What arent you understanding i said my skype calls dont lag. When warframe is lagging i ask my friends "hey is the skype call lagging" and they say "NO" idk how many different ways i have to say it...and my Upload speed has always been 0.50 Mbps and ive checked it while playing and its not throttled down

The point still remains: you can't host Defense/Mobile Defense/Survival missions with 50 kB/s upload bandwidth

on a full team without medium to heavy lag for the clients. Period.

All other factors are insignificant, you simply have not enough bandwidth. What's the discussion all about?

If you absolutely must host get a faster connection. If you can't in your area, either move somewhere you can, or don't host.

What arent you understanding i said my skype calls dont lag. When warframe is lagging i ask my friends "hey is the skype call lagging" and they say "NO" idk how many different ways i have to say it...and my Upload speed has always been 0.50 Mbps and ive checked it while playing and its not throttled down

Fine your skype doesn't lag. band width priority possibly.

What are you not understanding about .50 Mbps not being enough upload speed to host 4 people lag free in warframe? The minimum required which is 1.0 Mbps will still encounter lag under some circumstances minor lag but still. When hosting you are suppling all the info, if you don't have enough bandwidth to get the info out to the others, the game slows down and lags. The longer the match goes on, or the more going on in the match, the worse it will get as you try and pipe more info through an already over capacity line. Warframe is peer to peer like it or not.

But i never had an issue 3-4 months ago and my internet hasnt changed its always been .50Mbps and no one complained about lag before why is it only in the last month or so not even that people have been lagging when i host THAT is the point im trying to make