Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cpu Overheating After U14 Update

Alzirr

I know there have been other threads about this, but my computer keeps going into thermal shutdown while playing Warframe. Is there anyway to fix this? I never really had this issue before U14, or other games either. I have unparked my computer cores, too.

My computer specs:

Graphics card: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

64-bit Operating System

Edited by Alzirr

that's a laptop... you can replace thermal paste with a good brand one (stock one becomes crappy after 1-2years) I'd recommend Arctic Cooling MX-4
but dont do it if you're not good with that stuff cause it's not easy to take apart a laptop. I did it for my friend and it dropped his CPU temp from 95° to 70° under heavy load
laptops have a really really crappy coolers that can NOT cool well (usually 1x4cm fin cooler with heatpipes going from cpu and gpu to it)

warframe doesnt eat up a lot of cpu power so dont blame the game, blame your laptop

edit: your CPU gets overheaded, uncerclocks, still doesnt cool down and shuts down (95° is the limit where all that happens)
your laptop doesnt seem to have a dedicated gpu (you cant add it, it's a laptop)

open it, replace thermal paste and clean up the cooler (fan and heatsink)

Edited by Error989

a dedicated GPU isn't an option on a Mobile platform, but it would certainly help (though the larger space for more airflow alone would help a lot).

i think i'd test some other CPU & GPU intensive applications to see if this happens in other applications.

if it does, then we can be pretty certain it isn't Warframe specifically.

using some compressed Air to clean out all of the ventilation can make a huge difference on a Laptop.

i recommend a 130PSI + Air Compressor, but packaged canned air is okay even though they're only ~30PSI.

NOTE - if you use an Air Compressor to clean out your laptop, wait atleast 90 minutes to up to 180 minutes to allow the condensation moisture from the Air Compressor to evaporate. times may vary depending on altitude and humidity.

oh, and definitely disconnect the battery when doing it. 

if that doesn't do it, repasting the CPU heatsink can make a big difference. 

as i was typing this, a post outlined what i was about to say here almost exactly.

Arctic Silver MX-4 is often considered to be some of the best paste than you can buy. there's a million people that have explained how to apply Thermal Paste, i'm not going to bother to mention it here.

but this is certainly a more advanced thing to do, as the panels that hold the Laptop together can be a real pain (plastic tabs are the bane of anyone working on a PC) or just confusing depending on how it was assembled.

warframe doesnt eat up a lot of cpu power so dont blame the game, blame your laptop

Warframe does almost everything on the CPU. Warframe is far more CPU demanding than it is GPU demanding.

at normal resolutions ofcourse, but i don't think something like 2160p would be a reasonable baseline to judge software on.

Warframe does almost everything on the CPU. Warframe is far more CPU demanding than it is GPU demanding.

at normal resolutions ofcourse, but i don't think something like 2160p would be a reasonable baseline to judge software on.

really? :O I didnt know that o.O my cpu doesnt get nearly as hot as when I play BF3 (Phenom II 955 @4.0GHz with CM 212+)

here's a short answer...
Solution 1: change the thermal paste and clean up the heatsink in your laptop (or let someone who knows how to do it do it for you)
Solution 2: buy a cooling pad thingy, they're usually useless but if you can find the one that has a fan where your intake on your laptop is it might drop the temps. coolermaster u3 seems like a good laptop cooler cause you can position the fans where ever you want, and it's nice looking :D

really? :O I didnt know that o.O my cpu doesnt get nearly as hot as when I play BF3 (Phenom II 955 @4.0GHz with CM 212+)

well, that's because Battlefield has messier programming. among other things, like Battlefield generally having much more land area to render and has 64 players in tanks and helicopters all running around blowing stuff up.

Warframe being CPU centralized doesn't mean it's going to make it extra hot.

Crysis is still a great way to bake your CPU short of running a torture test.